Have I given myself enough time to get get to my cruise

Z3r0

I'm cruising on Jewel of the seas out of Civitavecchia later this year.  According to the information I have, the ship leaves at 5 pm.  We'll be spending the night before the cruise in Florence, and taking the train down in the morning, here is what I'm thinking of booking:

Italorail Firenze SMN to Roma Termini (9:52 am to 11:25 am)

Trenitalia Roma Termini to Civitavecchia (11:57 am to 12:44 pm)

Have I given myself enough time to make the connection, and have I given myself enough time to make the cruise?  I've heard train strikes are a thing, but they're less likely between Tuesdays and Thursdays, and our cruise leaves on a Thursday, so I'll stay hopeful.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

My earlier option from Florence is 9:33 am - 11:05 am.

If I still miss the connection the next train to Civitavecchia is 1:57 pm - 2:44 pm.  That would be pushing it a little for my liking.  If I were to somehow miss the connection if I took the earlier train, I would likely just take a cab to the cruise port.

Thanks for you advice.

Another question, when the cruise is done, we're going to Venice for a few days before we go home.  If I self disembark, is it reasonable to assume that I can catch a 9:16 train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini?  The cruise planner says that we get in at 5:00 am.

I am somewhat confused by the OP's posted train options?  What date is this?  When we look at the schedule we see different times with plenty of earlier options such as 8:13 and 8:53.   You ask if there is enough time and the answer is Yes, as long as everything is running on time.   We would probably opt for an earlier train to Rome and then perhaps just grab one of the regional trains from Rome to Civitavecchia.   Your 11:57 is fine and you can get reserved seats on that train.  But there are plenty of other train options (at least one per hour) to Civitavecchia.    You apparently are only looking at the faster trains from Rome to Civitavecchia...and keep in mind that depending on your timing a slightly slower regional train might turn out to be a better option.  These regional trains do not always show-up on every web site since they do not have reserved seats (and are also less expensive).  The current schedule has regional trains departing at 12 and 42 minutes past each hour!  The regional trains take anywhere from an hour to about 1:20 depending on the actual train.  We tend to rely on the Trenitalia web site but regional (and some other) trains are often not posted until a few weeks before the desired travel day.   The odds are good that the current regional train schedule (always look at the same travel day of  the week you are seeking) will be close of exactly the same on a more distant travel date.

As to catching the 9:16 after your cruise, that should not be a problem if you use express disembarkation and give yourself extra time since you may have to wait for a port bus to depart.  Again, there are many more trains in the morning once you factor in the regional trains that run at least twice an hour.   Just keep in mind that if you are traveling on a weekday (or even on Saturday) the early morning trains tend to be crowded with commuters.

Hank

Thanks Hank,

Our cruise leaves on the 3rd of October, and we disembark on the 12th.  Booking this far in advance, I can book the Frecciabianca in first class for 10 euro each.

I was looking at the regional train and it appears that they're only booking out to early June.  I would rather spend a few more bucks and know that I'm planned out and have a reasonable plan that allows some room for error (or strikes).

Just a quick note re strikes on Italian trains.

Yes, they do happen from time to time, though you'd be extremely unlucky if it happened on your date.

Importantly, they don't hold "wildcat" strikes - there's always at least a day or two's notice, so check out it before you leave home or while in Florence.

The "5pm" information - is that the time that the ship departs? Or the latest time you can register / board?

Normally at the port of embarkation you have to arrive something like 90 minutes to 2 hours before the scheduled sailing time.

You need to verify this with the cruise line before you commit to train times

JB :classic_smile: