Dual Citizenship - Southbound cruise

angelhelly

I know I could ask the cruise line, but since Viking just started Alaska cruise, I do not know how useful they would be...

Does anybody with Dual Citizenship Canada/US did a Southbound cruise (Seward - Vancouver)? And if so, how is the passport situation?

Thanks,

It is a requirement for US citizens to enter and leave the US using their American passport.

I amd a dual citizen (US & UK) and I always leave and enter the US this way and leave and enter the UK with my British passport.

1 minute ago, Guindalf said:

It is a requirement for US citizens to enter and leave the US using their American passport.

I amd a dual citizen (US & UK) and I always leave and enter the US this way and leave and enter the UK with my British passport.

Yes.

So I will have to use my US password (or driver license) to fly to anchorage, use my US passport to got on the ship, and use my US Passport to fly from Vancouver back home. However, to disembark the ship and go through Canada custom, I technically should use my Canadian passport, but all my document with Viking will show my US one (because of the flights).

That's where I'm not sure....

Guindalf is correct as you are a US/Canadian Dual Citizen - all the rest of us Duals MUST now enter Canada on a valid Canadian passport! Legislation changed at the same time as the eTA was brought in - so keep your eyes peeled just in case the US exemption disappears in future (though with so many Dual US/CAD folks I think that exemption is almost certain to remain permanently in place).

On 4/29/2019 at 10:27 AM, angelhelly said:

So I will have to use my US password (or driver license) to fly to anchorage, use my US passport to got on the ship, and use my US Passport to fly from Vancouver back home. However, to disembark the ship and go through Canada custom, I technically should use my Canadian passport, but all my document with Viking will show my US one (because of the flights).

Separate the two things at play here: #1, the cruise line needs to document who you are to the respective authorities, and both passports identify the same human, and #2, border authorities have expectations for which passport you present to them. #1 and #2 do not cross-check each other.