Repairing the QM2?

Emu

Whilst the focus (understandably) has been on the disrupted sector to Rio, I would be more interested in the following:-

Apart from the prop blade damage (and removal of same)........ what other damage was done to the "pod"????

Initial Cunard press releases spoke of repairs taking place at each port of call............ is that still going to happen???

If not, how long will it be allowed to continue until permanent repairs in a dry dock are made???

Reports from the ship say that speed is down to 22.5 knots........... this must make the remaining schedules difficult to keep???? (particularly disrupive would be diversions for pax medical emergencies.. that are not uncommon)

I assume that to maintain this speed all remaining motors are running at maximum power???

This cannot be good for fuel economy or the equipment??

Any answers or speculation would be great.

Kind regards to all.

I find it very disconcerting, that despite many days elapsing since the incident in Fort Lauderdale, it appears Cunard is not attempting to convey any information regarding the resolution of the problem.

I mean, if you had a definate plan of when the ship would be fully functional again, wouldn't it be prudent to stop all the specualtion and worry being caused to the thousands of future passengers............. and broadcast it to all?????? Particularly after the "mutiny" news splashed all over the world, served to draw attention to the incident!!!

To me, the deafening silence does not inspire any confidence, it just makes me more concerned that the final work to get the ship up to 100% serviceability, is going to be painful and disruptive for all concerned.

"Spin" doctors & PR might get the press off their back........... but does nothing for the future paying customers (sorry "guests") slowly watching a drama unfold.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and the QM2 is back to normal sooner rather than later.

I am sure there are thousands of fingers crossed........... that is about all we can do!!!!!!!

Kind regards

I would not be surprised if the lack of news is reflective of Cunard working on the problem real-time. If the ship has to go into dry dock, that probably takes some time to assess options, cost them out, select the best location, etc. Then add to that briefing management on the details once all the information is collected ... well, I bet that is what is going on right now in the corporation. There are big expenses involved, and they are no doubt looking at this issue from many angles under extreme time pressures considering the task at hand.

Paul

Whilst the focus (understandably) has been on the disrupted sector to Rio, I would be more interested in the following:-

Apart from the prop blade damage (and removal of same)........ what other damage was done to the "pod"????

Initial Cunard press releases spoke of repairs taking place at each port of call............ is that still going to happen???

If not, how long will it be allowed to continue until permanent repairs in a dry dock are made???

Reports from the ship say that speed is down to 22.5 knots........... this must make the remaining schedules difficult to keep???? (particularly disrupive would be diversions for pax medical emergencies.. that are not uncommon)

I assume that to maintain this speed all remaining motors are running at maximum power???

This cannot be good for fuel economy or the equipment??

Any answers or speculation would be great.

Kind regards to all.

be advised that a 1-pod system is heavier than a 747 boeing airliner approx700,000 lbs! ! if the total system has to be replaced that is a very very serious maintenance poroblem!!! DRY DOCK PERHAPS!!!

This episode again shows the apparent ineptitude of the Cunard management. Does anyone rember the kerfuffle several years ago with the QE2. She was being refurbished but left the yard before all the work was complete and teams of men worked on her until she reached New York. It cost the company millions of pounds and the boss man his job.

Does anyone rember the kerfuffle several years ago with the QE2. She was being refurbished but left the yard before all the work was complete and teams of men worked on her until she reached New York.

I remember the 6 month refit between 86/87 when she was re engined and launched as the NEW QE2, the people on the QM2 think they have problems!!!

it was a voyage that will never be forgotten, l for one viewed it as a unique voyage and was pleased to be onboard, the refund was a few hundred £s and we had our fair share or complainers but the stiff upper lip prevailed.

The huge welcome in NY was cancelled going ashore we were hounded by the press,( l at the time had a video camera with footage of how bad it was, things lobbed over the side..... unfinished areas and loads of other shots....) an eagle eyed press man noticed my camera and asked if l had film of the crossing and the unfinished areas and offered me what l thought as an 18yr old man big bucks for the footage, possibly l was a fool to have said no and he said l was a fool.... but it never really entered my mind to sell my private footage of this historic crossing and betray my loyality to this great ship, and l had to return on her as well !! Cunard l must say did look after us

l guess it all depends on how you see it, to be stuck onboard a great liner with no ports:eek: l would find it a great hardship;) , and to get money back as well:rolleyes:

As the QM2 is so big I was under the impression that there are only 2 ship yards that could do a dry dock for her and they would be San Diego and Norfolk where they have facilities for air craft carriers.

If this is so CUnard has a limited number of choices and from what I understand it is imperative they get the situation resolved before the TA season starts in April.

One can only guess how long the ship will need to be Out of Service to assess and repair the damage.

I guess as they say, stay tuned.....

Bon voyage

My guess would also be that it would be unacceptable to start the April 15 Transatlantic season with the ship not 100%.

As the arrival from the Cape Horn Eastbound voyage is the SAME morning (and opening the Brooklyn terminal)........... it seems that any repairs will have to done on the West Coast.

When is anyones guess.

( l at the time had a video camera with footage of how bad it was, things lobbed over the side..... unfinished areas and loads of other shots....)

So OUT with it! Do you still have the footage? That would be priceless. , for one would LOVE to see it, bad stuff or not! As I said,my worst trip was also my best- Bubbling sludge and soot in the shower-Stud muffin next door through the entire trip minimium three times a day (Chuck, Oh, Chuck!! It's so BIG , Oh Chuck!)- I assume they were talking about the magnum of champagne-I mean, *I* would be! <G>)

It was still one of the best cruises of our life. Why? the people- We made a game of finding out who chuck was. We had a marvelous time doing any and everything! So what's a little soot among friends?

So do you still have the video?

Karie, Who probably has some somewhere! More than likely some going through the canal in the Cunard Countess.

I just hope that Cunard does not run the fleet the way NCL does....otherwise the QM2 will be limping around for a long time...you folks all read the postings about NCL ships that are operating with one engine out of service...Cunard should just bite the bullet, cancel cruises and fix the ship in San Diego ASAP...all this is very bad PR for company while ship limps around at 3/4 engine capicity!!!:cool:

Here is a little something I just quickly worked up:

If QM2 hax a maximum speed of 30K, as I understand at the moment she

has no problem keeping a 25K average on 3 pods. If you take the L.A to

Hawaii segment that is comming up in 4 weeks, that is approx 2560 miles.

25 knots is approx 29MPH. The scheduled time for that segment is 87 hours -

I am NO expert but it seems like she will have no problem keeping up her

itinerary for this voyage.

not sure but i think speed over the water can vary as to speed over the land below. not always the same depending on wind and seas!!!

not sure but i think speed over the water can vary as to speed over the land below. not always the same depending on wind and seas!!!

Perhaps 2Moose, but I was only attempting to do a rough calculation.

One thing for certain, she could literally 'drift' between her 3 ports of

call for 3 days once she is over there. Gives her a chance to catch up

any lost time ( and her breath ) before the 4 day dash back to L.A.

There is an old superstition within mariners that a death during building of a ship makes it JINXED, this happened to the QM2 in her French yard. Only time will tell. (I have removed my comment about French Shipyards)

Well thank you 'Mr. Rain' for that enlightening addition.

There is an old superstition within mariners that a death during building of a ship makes it JINXED, this happened to the QM2 in her French yard. Only time will tell. (I have removed my comment about French Shipyards)

With all due respect this is b******s - mortality rates among ship-builders in the past was so high that MOST ships would be jinxed! Queen Mary, Normandie, Queen Elizabeth and so forth.... In any case the QM2 was completed when the accident happened - NOT when she was being built......

Peter

guernseyguy I stated it was a superstition NOT a fact. Before you go using derogatory phrases please read what is written.

curlyQ As you are so pedantic to use capitals ,please spell my name correctly, with an E. I do not hide behind a non de plume

Thank You one and all.

2moose,

FYI (and a bit late to the post), the QM2's pods weigh 250 tons each, as per my Google search of Queen Mary/Alstom. I would attach the actual statement if I knew how to.

Cheers

i recieved my information from the televised version of the qm2 construction where they made the reference to the 747 and the 700,000 lbs but thanx for the input!!

From the Alston Shipbuilders site

Chaque pod pèse 270 tonnes et développe une puissance de 21,5 Mw

Les deux pods avant sont fixes et les pods arrières sont azimutaux, c'est à dire qu'ils peuvent tourner sur un angle de 360°

270 tonnes x 2204 lbs per tonne = 595,080 pounds

A couple of thoughts here. First, nautical distances are normally reported in nautical miles. Nautical speeds are generally referred to as nautical miles per hour. I believe I also read that current best speed for the QM2 was hovering at 22.5 knots with one powerplant off line. If your distance calculation is correct, then you need to divide 2560 by 22.5 kknots to get the time value, which is 113.77 hours. Keep in mind, this is direct sailing speeds. While in port and channels, you are not going to be doing 22.5 knots (unless you want to take out the remaining screws). So, you have to factor in a set value for entering and exiting ports of call (including tender times/waits). If you skip ports of call, you gain time. If you make ports of call, you ultimately lose time. Cunard should have some pretty accurate numbers at this point as to what they will be able to do for the rmainder of the cruise. For reasons known but to God, they have chosen not to inform their guests/customers of the situation.

I believe I also read that current best speed for the QM2 was hovering at 22.5 knots with one powerplant off line.

One of the passengers on board reported that max speed on 3 pods is 28 knots. When they only use two pods and the diesel engines max speed is about 22 knots (Mickey Arison or Peter Ratcliffe in a Carnival corp quarterly review).

Peter

This is a completely useless statement unless your purpose is to produce anxiety.

Please refrain from posting it to the board as I do not wish to have nightmares pertaining to the health and well being of my 3 year old daughter.

If it is designed to produce anxiety, it's hostile and abusive to those of us who are either on board or will be. If it isn't then I repeat, it's useless and does not deserve to be posted.

Good day to you sir.

Archived