Huatulco Excursions

CarolandNate

We are doing the December 3-18 PC Full transit on the Emerald Princess.  While we have booked several already, we are still up in the air as pertains to Huatulco.  There are two that seem more interesting, so I ask anyone has one or both.  There is the Rural Communities & Traditions and the Flavors of Mexico.  They are actually quite similar as both got to Piedro de Moros, do tortilla and tamale making.  The time is the same and the price is close.  I would like to hear what others think.

• 3 months later...

Sorry no one ever answered this.

There is a new tour, Copalita Archaeological Exploration, that sounds fascinating. As to the two you are asking about, the Rural Communities & Traditions tour sounds like it does a bit more. We didn't do a tour there. I went surfing and my DW sat by the pool at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa on a day pass while I surfed.

6 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Sorry no one ever answered this.

There is a new tour, Copalita Archaeological Exploration, that sounds fascinating. As to the two you are asking about, the Rural Communities & Traditions tour sounds like it does a bit more. We didn't do a tour there. I went surfing and my DW sat by the pool at Dreams Huatulco Resort & Spa on a day pass while I surfed.

No problem.  As it was, we were locking in on the Rural Communities because of the food part.   What we really wanted was a cooking lesson and while RC&T did not actually do that, they did demos and lots of sampling at various stops.  Then someone did get back and told us about a class that was offered for three plus hours by a local restaurateur.  My concern was that no one would be offering that on a Sunday.  Turns out this guy will do it.  Max of 12 people and he picks up at the ship.  Demo is nice, actual cooking is better.  And then we eat what we cook.  If there is time, he'll drop us off in La Crucecita where we can walk a round a bit a get a cab back.  Just as a back up, in case something goes wrong, I booked the RC&T through the ship, but as long as we cancel that within five days of the excursion, we get a full refund.  Oh and the cook doesn't charge until the day of.

I will likely put it out on CC after Labor Day to see if anyone from our cruise would like to do this as well.  I didn't want to be too aggressive, because some people have put together various groups for other things and I did want to step on their toes.  I figure, after Labor Day, now that we are in double digits, people may be thinking more about excursions.

But thanks anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I posted about a cooking excursion called Wahaca Cooking.  We are planning to do that.  I also mentioned Rural Communities and Traditions through Princess that is our back up.  There are some that I did not mention, that some may be interested in as well.  I had contacted them before settling on the Wahaca Cooking.

City & Sightseeing Tour.          (w/ Arturo Martinez)    5 Hours                        $100pp for 2; $50pp for 4-10; $40pp for 10+

We visit some spectacular viewpoints for pictures, what we call the “backyard” of Huatulco; a place to see the elaboration of real corn tortillas, here you can have some quesadillas.  Then to Santa Maria, where we explore the town, walk on its main street to see a real Mexican town, visit the market and a 300 year old church, Parroquia de Santa María Huatulco.  Then it's back to downtown Huatulco (La Crucecita) to stop at the main square for walking and browsing.  Maybe we stop for a drink and a snack at a local restaurant. 

City Tour         (w/ Enrique Pinacho)   4-5 hours         $38.00                         Up to 14 people

Bays and viewpoints, La Bocana beach, Copalita my little village, there we have lunch if you like,  La Crucecita town, there we visit the church, textiles, the market and mezcal taste and chocolate.

Town & Traditions Tour          (w/ Alfonso Gabriel)    5 Hours                        $55.00pp; $45 Minimum four

Tour to Santa Maria Huatulco and visit Piedra de Moros (stone of Moors).  Visit a medicinal plant  garden where you will know and learn about several that the local people use to cure themselves, Then to a  craft workshop where local people make wool carpets on pedal looms and other crafts. Finish at a Mezcal Factory for tasting.  Learn to make tortillas and see the  brick making process.