Shore tours

girl05

I have also done Petit train in Noumea and found this was a great little trip to explore island. View from top of mountain was pretty good. In Vila have done Cascade waterfalls (on oour own) grab a taxi from the wharf heaps cheaper than the ships tour. My daughter just went on the jet boat ride with a friend and told us it was great fun but you get wet - wear your swimmers. In Vila we mainly just go to town and do our shopping

I agree Le Petit Train is the best tour for Noumea. We did a bus tour which dropped us at Anste (sp?) Bay for lunch last time we were there but I think I would have preferred to do the train again if anything at all.

We haven't been on any Ship arranged tours at Vila but did hire a mini bus to take us around one time. I have posted the funny story about this before. I agree that the best thing for Vila is to catch a taxi into town and shop, shop, shop!! I have heard that the Cascades are beautiful but also that it is cheaper to just get a taxi.

One of the guys on our last cruise was catching a taxi back to the ship when the driver offered to give him a tour. Only cost him $30 (including the drive back to the ship, which would have been $10 anyway) and he apparently took him everywhere around town!!

We did the Cliff of Jokin tour at Lifou this time and it was good.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions:)

The Le petite train tour sounds good.

Dan- yes tree to tree sounds like a great adventure, but I'm not very good with heights:o

Chaz-I was also looking at-Discover Noumea and Anse Vata, I know you said you think you would have preferred to do the train again but what was this tour like?

I'll shop till I drop:)

Narelle-The cascade waterfalls sounds nice- would it be safe to go there with just 4 people?

Has anyone been to the aquarium at Noumea?Is it worth going to?

I don't think the tour is offered on my cruise, but if it's any good we might try to go there if we have time.

Also has anyone been on the Port Vila lagoon cruise?

Thanks

girl05:)

Girl05

Went to the Aquarium in July05, very small and dissapointing, I wouldn't go again, although they were going to build a new one, maybe check it out at the cruise terminal information booth to see if they have, if you go we were told they take Australian dollars by the people at the info. booth but they didn't when we got there. We took the 1A bus.

I went to the aquarium in Noumea many years ago and was not impressed. The pictures I hae seen since looked like it hadn't changed

As for Vila let me explain Cascades do it on your own.

You get a taxi at the wharf or minivan. I actually was talking with a group of young girls at the luinch table and we organised to meet the next day to do this. With our 2 children and them we got a van. Negotiate BEFORe you get in as to the cost to get there and back. DONT pay the driver until you return back to the ship.

When he gets yo to the waterfalls you have to pay an entrance fee (not sure how much when we went it was $10. You then get a guide who will take you to the falls and stay with you. DO NOT be afraid to go by yourselves there are heaps of people that go there. Our guide even carried my bag for me as it is a bit of a climb up to the top. When we returned (a few hours later) our taxi driver was sitting there waiting to take us back to the ship.

You definately save money doing it on your own. When we went and this was about 4 years ago, I think the ships excursion want approx $60 each for this trip. We paid $10 per person for driver and about $10-14 for entry to the falls.

Chaz-I was also looking at-Discover Noumea and Anse Vata, I know you said you think you would have preferred to do the train again but what was this tour like?

I'll shop till I drop:)

Noumea is very expensive. We enjoyed browsing the in shops but apart from a few postcards and small souvenirs didn't really buy anything. We did have a nice lunch at a cafe and basically sat around waiting for the bus. Suey & Frog don't swim so we didn't go to the beach at all but I guess you could use our waiting time to go for a swim if you do. The bus went to a lot of the same places as the train. It's also easier to video & take photos from the train than it is in a bus.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Archived