Lack of a Dress Code

Prince

I have been watching this thread since the beginning. It is so tiring, can we not just move on. Take a deep breath and in another three weeks someone else will ask the "how should I dress to make my fellow cruisers happy" question and it will start all over again. :rolleyes:

LOL the only time I have ever heard anyone play this game was on a RCI cruise and she was sitting in front of me in the theater.

Too bad she didnt play it with herself... maybe the game should have been rate how well the gown fits.... that one was at least 2 sizes too small and I dont thnk it was because ofall the good food on the cruise.

\

On cruises with my girlfriends, we would get dressed early on formal nights and find the best seat in the house to people watch, martini or champagne in hand. We would watch the formal wear parade and write our scores - from 1-10 - on cocktail napkins. We still do much the same thing, we just don't use napkins any more!

Who needs a Broadway review?

Well now aren't we special!!!!

Some talk out of both sides of our mouth.

One side........ We don't like seeing jeans on formal night.

Other side.......... We make fun of people who do.

Maybe statements like this is why some people don't attempt to

follow the dress code?

follow the dress code?

The moral of this story Paisano is, if you dress inappropriately, everyone has something to say. If you dress appropriately, you are the subject of ridicule because nothing is ever good enough. Make you kind of wonder doesn;t it. I'll say the same thing on this board as I did on the other. Life is to short to worry about what others are doing. If someone is not dressed to standards of the posters on this board, I will not complain to anyone. I don;t care, my cruise experience is based on me and not others. Anyone dressed unappropriately does not ruin my cruise. I will contine to follow the "rules". What others do is of little or no consequence to me.

OK, I'm really confused now....so how should I dress to make all my fellow cruisers happy?

I believe the answer is: Follow the dress code which is suggested by the cruise line for each occasion.

Don't try to make all of your fellow cruisers happy. Make the cruise line happy! They would love to be rid of the policing of adults in the matter of proper attire.

Use common sense.

It is so simple - that is why it has turned into a very difficult task to explain!

Tbelian, YOU ARE WRONG!!! :eek:

I have yet to go on a cruise where there wasn't a game of "Rate the Gown" going on during formal night.:D My, my, what creations people come up with.:rolleyes: I care about my appearance, and do notice what others wear, as well. But, that, dear sir, is part of the entertainment!

O.k., so it's shallow and immature. So I'll go straight to heck. But the good news is that other's fashion misteps/mistakes provide ammusement rather than horror, so maybe you're right about it not bothering the 90% once on board.;)

And, oh, yes, you should be VERY afraid to cruise with me!!!!! I'll silently pass judgement, I'll even think quiet thoughts, why, I'll even make mental notes of what you wear, where you probably bought it, why you shouldn't wear it, and what over-the-counter/presription drugs caused you to purchase it in the first place. (Hey, it's mean, sure, but I gotta try to get those rates down on my cruises somehow, so scaring people away seems as good a plan as any!:p )

All in fun,

Andrew

DRATS!!!!!!!! Now I have to go shopping and buy all new clothes. Since I'm sailing with you, I don't want to lose at "rate the gown". Do you hold up a card with scores? (I want to know how well or poorly I score). Do they start to look better after a few martini's?

follow the dress code?

You misunderstand and put words in my mouth, as we certainly did not make fun of people. That is YOUR interpretation!

It was a matter of who was the best dressed and it was a pleasure to watch people who made the effort.

People that do not follow the dress codes are a different issue entirely. I personally do not understand it and will waste no more time and energy on the issue. People who wear jeans on formal nights are really not worth discussing, IMO.

You misunderstand and put words in my mouth, as we certainly did not make fun of people. That is YOUR interpretation! IMO.

caviargal - I am as warped, and wonderful as you, and understand your sense of humor entirely.

Keep this attitude, and you will continue to have fun right into your later years, just as I am doing!

I loved your admission of having fun along with your friends - even at other's expense.

Don't we all do things equally as silly from time to time.

I surely do hope so!

I suppose that while on a ferry once, seeing a lady whose panty elastic had broke, causing the panties to fall around her ankles, my cousin and I should have ran to her rescue and raised her skirt and put the elastic back instead of standing on the upper deck having the laugh of our life!!

To finish the story, the lady gently stepped out of them, kicking them aside and moved to a different spot. Embarrassing, for sure, but absolutely hilarious to watch - we were young and foolish at the time. Now, we are old and foolish, and still having fun whenever and wherever we can. We are not rude, but certainly, life presents so many opportunities to have fun, that we just keep on taking advantage of them.

Have Fun While You Can!!

BlazerBoy.. Frankly, I think you have been watching too much "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or "What not to Wear" :) I think RATING people's clothes is very obnoxious and rude. My hubby and I like to sit with Martinis and see all the pretty dressed up people. But keep it positive. Like "oh that's pretty" or , "I like that tux" etc. Or "man I would kill for her figure!" NOT looking to cut people, or make fun of them.

Lovethesea,

You've named two of my favorite shows! :eek:

Seriously, what you missed in my posts was that I think it's o.k. to not like what someone was wearing, but that you keep those thoughts to yourself. If it does cause some guilty enjoyment, best to keep that to yourself too, apparently.:D

And, oh, yes, you should be VERY afraid to cruise with me!!!!! I'll silently pass judgement, I'll even think quiet thoughts, why, I'll even make mental notes of what you wear

Please do notice the underlined words, and that I ended the post with "all in fun." I'm no saint, and yes, I can, after watching the above programs, get catty as the next person (some would say I've always had that ability!) but I also have a little bit of discretion, so when the mood strikes to be catty, I can keep it from being apparent, and then punnish myself later for my evil thoughts.:) Good for you if you can always live up to a perfect standard of behavior. I'm nowhere near that much of a saint!;)

And if both my sense of humor and my honesty about my character flaws offend you, truly best to watch out on your rollcalls to make sure I'm not on your cruise!:p

Andrew

BlazerBoy.. Frankly, I think you have been watching too much "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" or "What not to Wear" :) I think RATING people's clothes is very obnoxious and rude. My hubby and I like to sit with Martinis and see all the pretty dressed up people. But keep it positive. Like "oh that's pretty" or , "I like that tux" etc. Or "man I would kill for her figure!" NOT looking to cut people, or make fun of them.

I rate people on how thy dress, with me being the optima, having that attitude keeps me from being envious;)

Phil

DRATS!!!!!!!! Now I have to go shopping and buy all new clothes. Since I'm sailing with you, I don't want to lose at "rate the gown". Do you hold up a card with scores? (I want to know how well or poorly I score). Do they start to look better after a few martini's?

Marjorie, after a few Comos everyone looks fabulous. After meeting you both, you have my score of a 10!

Karyn

Why do you think that the Martini bar, specifically,( & the Champagne bar) (downstairs the Rendevous Lounge) have been placed where they are.??

My friends and I (Blazerboy included) and others I'm sure were/are/will often be seen there before dining. We are in judging mode... not drinking.

Why do you think that the Martini bar, specifically,( & the Champagne bar) (downstairs the Rendevous Lounge) have been placed where they are.??

My friends and I (Blazerboy included) and others I'm sure were/are/will often be seen there before dining. We are in judging mode... not drinking.

Was that you bob with the scuffed shoes?:D

Phil

So I, in the end, shrug my shoulders. I will continue to dress appropriately, following the guidelines of the line. As this isn't significantly different from my way of dressing at home/at work/ during my social life (c'mon, no ones really talking tails top hats and tiaras here), and I now how to find a bargain if need be (remember that old "economic necessity" argument!), it doesn't cause me much effort or concern to dress well. If I ignore you on the ship, you are welcome to think me a snob, or a poseur, if you like, as I'm comfortable with my reasons for not associating with you. (Hint: nothing to do with a t-shirt, more an attitude projected by not following the suggested dress- I don't find rule-breakers usually to be charming people-, or maybe the sneer as you challenge anyone to confront you, or the uncomfortable nervous giggles from your fellow cruisers when the only thing you can associate black tie evening wear with is a high school prom, and say so out loud.:rolleyes: ) OOHHH, I almost forgot the "comfort" argument! People who are comfortable in all social situations rarely find the appropriate clothing uncomfortable. Sorry, but if you're uncomfortable in the clothing, you have one of two problems: a bad clothes salesman, or an inferiority complex.

I guarantee you I will have a good time on the cruise- I've yet to have a bad vacation on a cruise ship. I'll still probably smile at you, perhaps even make pleasant conversation while we share an elevator. But I won't linger with you over a drink, nor will I make an effort to seek you out for other activities when the dress code is more casual. I like to spend time with nice, fun people who know how to behave in social situations. I know, I know, now you're on the defensive (and with all your arguments above, it's not a place you like to be!) So you then declare that not hanging out with me on a ship is fine with you! Guess what? A win-win situation.:)

Happy cruising.

Andrew

:D I love everything you said.

Perhaps we could just end with today's Cruise Critic article on packing for newbies:

These days, for the most part, cruising has become much more of a casual vacation -- even on more formal lines. A couple of hints:

star2.bmp While some folks still like to dress to the nines (formal gowns and tuxedos) for ships' formal nights, most people dress in business attire (suit for men, cocktail garb -- flowing pants suits or silk dresses -- for women).

star2.bmp The irony is that the more luxurious the line (with the exception of the upscale Crystal Cruises, whose passengers really do like to dress up), the more elegantly casual guests dress. The more contemporary the line -- like Carnival and Norwegian Cruise Line (the latter, of course, applies only to those guests who find the optional formal night concept appealing) -- the dressier folks are on formal occasions.

On a seven day cruise I bring two different evening gowns for formal nights, but for our 15 day cruise this summer I am thinking about packing a black cocktail dress, a long black skirt, and black crepe pants instead since my gowns take up so much space. Has anyone else done this during longer cruises where you have to pack so much more?

Sky Sweet - I do something like that on longer cruises, I take a long black skirt with different sparkely tops to save on packing space.

Terri

Archived