If at first you don't succeed...try try again

I have a reservation will before final payment with NCL.  184 days out to be exact.  I watch the prices to see if they drop pretty regularly.

Three times since I originally booked, the price of our suite dropped a little bit. Three times I called and they "adjusted" my price.  Since NCL has run the same promos forever, I was able to keep the original booking.  Today, I checked on line, saw the price was lower yet again.  Now, admittedly, this was a bigger drop:  other drops were between 80 and 160 and this one was $460.

So, I called the trusty 1-800 number (well, a 1-866 number, but you know what I mean).  I got John, explained the situation, and he said " Let me put you on hold and see what I can do to make you happy."  I wait a good while, and John comes back and says "I talked to the help desk and here is what we can do, we can offer you $150.00 OBC."

I explained again I am before final payment, and they have done price adjustments before, what is preventing them from doing a price adjustment now.  "Policy" he says.  Something about only being allowed 25% of the difference between passenger 1 & 2's  fare now and the fare at booking.    I tried to explain that $150 OBC wasn't the same as a $460 dollar price reduction, but he said the OBC was the best they could do.   I sigh, and tell John, OK..but since I am in the window where I can cancel without penalty and since there are a lot of rooms in my category available, I will cancel and rebook, which will end up with the same financial result for me but will be more work for both of us.  He tells me "Yes, but you would lose your promos" and I said "Yes, but the promos now are exactly the same as they have always been".   (<- a subtle jab at the websites constant threat of "ending soon" .  I wish.)

So I told John if he couldn't price adjust me, I would have to cancel and rebook.  "Let's get started John, can you cancel our first reservation."  He says "Let me go back to the help desk and consult."  He puts me on hold for 5 minutes and we get disconnected.

Sigh.  But also a little bit of "Good riddance"

So I call back the same number on the same day and get Laura.  I explain the situation to Laura and she does the price adjustment, and after about 5 minutes of total time spent on the second call, I am booked at the new lower rate and have the confirmation in my in box.

I do  hope they do record the calls like the robot voice says, because John might need a bit more training.

And for all of you out there that don't get the right answer the first time you call...hang up and try again.

Call centers have problems getting and keeping good agents. It is hard to train for all of the things they can expect to handle, let alone have a person retain all of it. There is probably very little in their support computer system either. John is probably very new to call centers and might have just put you on hold to try and find the answer in his system or get the attention of another agent/supervisor. Having worked in a couple of call centers - being the newbie is not easy - esp during your first few weeks on the job after a few weeks of fire hose training.

Like you said - if you don't get the answer you think is correct - hang up and try again.