Mexican Cusine Workshop & Tasting Shore Ex

Misnco

My husband and son did that when we sailed the Mariner in Feb 2004. They absolutely loved it! My son want to be a chef and really enjoyed himself. They prepared a full 4 course meal at stations of 4 persons and then got to eat what they cooked. They were given the recipes for what they made, purchased nice souvenir photos of themselves with their chefs.

I did this in December and it was absolutely wonderful. Worth every penny.

We were met at the pier by somebody from Playa Mia. They took us to vans to transport us to Playa Mia. At Playa Mia we were greeted and taken back to the cooking area. This is under a big tent where they have several bars and the buffet. To the side they have several cooking stations. You are introduced to the chef (Javier?), plus his assistant plus a waiter. The waiter keeps you supplied with bottled water and all the drinks you want. First they give you an apron and a hat to wear. Then they take you through properly washing your hands. You cook in pairs, with 2 pairs at each cooking station.

First, we started making the dessert - rice pudding. After we cooked it on the stove, it was taken to the back to bake for a while. Then we started on the main course - fish with mango sauce. One person in our group was allergic to mango so they made her a different sauce. After cooking the fish and the sauce, we decorated our plates and then they were taken to the back to be kept warm. Then we made an appetizer - a sopa - thick corn tortilla with chorizo, beans, lettuce, and cheese. They then take you through decorating that plate. They then bring the rice pudding back so you can decorate that plate as well.

After you finish cooking, you then sit at tables with tableclothes to eat. You are served wine with each course. I liked everything. My aunt didn't like her Sope - the chef overcooked it :p . Two people in our group were vegetarians so they ate at the buffet instead. Afterwards, you have complete access to the beach and everything else, including shopping. At the end, you are taken back to the ship.

My mother, aunt, and I all had a great time. In fact, everybody from our ship had a great time. The staff took great care of us.

Was this offered through the cruiseline? When I saw your (wrp96) original post about it I tried to find where it was offered but found nothing. It's not offered on our Freedom cruise :confused: and I would love to do this with my Dad. He loves to cook. Help!

BonVoyage

Dawna

It was offered through the cruiseline. There were only about 20 spaces available and they go fast. You might keep looking as there are several months before you cruise and more excursions might open up.

You might also see about contacting Playa Mia directly because there was a small group that got a cooking class after we did that wasn't with our ship. I know somebody has posted on the Cozumel board an email to contact the person who runs the excursion. They may not be able to offer it to you directly, but it can't hurt to ask.

Wrona, I knew you wouldn't let me down, Thanks for the info!! Will look into it. Never took the time to think more excursions would show up, we are still 8 months out. BTW when do you study :D

BonVoyage

Dawna

Late at night, early in the morning, between clients at work, at lunch, during dinner, and then for 4 hours every night I have bar review plus 8 hours of bar review classes on Saturday and Sunday. I check in on cruise critic to keep me awake while I'm listening to somebody drone on about class action suits.

Archived