Norwegian Majesty

Gabrielle R.

My family was on the this ship this past Christmas. I heard it was small but it was to small for our taste. Major of people on the ship was older and they did not have many activities during the day and night. I would not go on this ship again. :(

I am looking at Cruises during Christmas-2006. Anybody sail on Majesty? What's the good? Bad? It leaves from Charleston- how is that for a port? Any help is appreciated! Gabrielle

The Majesty is my favorite ship that is still sailing. It is also smaller and old by comparison to most these days.

I have sailed several thousand miles on her though and I love the size and intimacy of the ship. Especially love the Pasta restaurant in the evening which is what the royal observatory becomes at night, and the Promenade and the coffee cafe.

Can't help you with the departure port or ports as I have not done the W. route. and I always take the Majesty out of Boston.

Took my first cruise on the Majesty on 2004 and loved it. I would definitely do it again.

However, my main concern was basking in the sun and having a wonderful time in port. I didn't car whether or not there were activities going on so I guess it depends on what you want out of the cruise.

The passengers were older but I loved it. They were all friendly and not too many kids or middle aged adults hogging up the pool and sun chairs!!!!

Also keep in mind the term "old" is relative here. Perhaps compared to others in the fleet, but the Majesty is hardly an ancient relic. If a ship is well built and maintained it can have a long life on the water. Personally, I love the intimacy of the smaller ships. No interest whatsoever in sailing on a floating amusement park! :p

The Charleston port charges the ridiculous amount of $ 15.00 per day for parking your car.

Better to get a room say at the Holiday Inn or Radisson, pay for one night and leave your car at their lot. The Radisson has a bus that will take you to the port and pick you up for free. I will most likely do this next time when leaving from Charleston.

We loved the Majesty, the crew was fantastic.

We had a blast on the Majesty, and I though that there was plenty to do... and I'm only 21! There were activities, lectures, info sessions, deck activities, games and all sorts of good stuff. The pasta cafe was a nice change from the dining rooms, much more intimate and less crowded. Check the menu's daily, and if you see one in the main rooms you not to fond of (We didn't really like the caribbean food) go to the Pasta Cafe, and make sure you hit Le Bistro... WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

rooms were tidy, staff was friendly and the food was great! Make sure you see the Liars Club (if you've never seen it before) and the dancers are wonderfull.

Charleston was okay, nice enough weather, but the parking part was a little confusing at first. Once we figured out where to wait and where to go, we were golden!

Enjoy!

Jusst back from the Majesty. It was our first cruise and we loved it. If the ship was small I didn't know it. It still took me a day or so to get my bearings. I loved the staff and most of the food. Le Bistro was wonderful. We meet alot of wonderful folks on board and never thought of anyone that was old. Have a great time...We will be back.:)

Tsage- Le Bistro is a specialty restaurant serving French food. There is a $15 cover charge to eat there. All meals in the regular dining rooms ad buffet are included in your cruise price. Pasta Cafe is also a specialty restaurant and requires reservations, but there is no extra charge to eat there. Hope this clears that up for you! :)

Thank You so much for the posts! My Husband and I are in our 40's so we don't mind if it's an older crowd:rolleyes: Smaller ships are fine with us- I too like to sit in the sun and soak up the sun- living in Minnesota we take any warm sun when ever and where ever we can get it! Thus Christmas cruising makes it really nice for us to gt away.

We would fly into Charleston- really curious about the weather/Atlantic temps/waves in Dec. Anyone out there know much about that? We've been on 6 crusies so we understand sea legs and rough seas.

So what were some things that you really liked about Majesty? I really like hearing about entertainment/shows, I like to walk/ work out, don't care much about the spa. Does Majesty have a proemenade that wraps all hte way around for walking, or does it have a walking track?

We haven't cruised NCL, but have done RCCL, Celebrity, HAL and Carnival. So am curious about freestyle dining. Which ones did you like best and which would you avoid? Long lines at certain times? Always wondered if the specialty restaurants were worth the extra costs- nice to hear that they are.

The ports are ones we've done before- Cayman, Coz and Key west. Hate having Key West at the end- clearing customs are such a pain.

Those are about the only questions I can think of now. THANK YOU again for the psots! Gabrielle

I'm a big Majesty fan myself. A wonderful small ship with the finest crew at sea. I haven't been on her in about 2 years so I can't say much about the entertainment and shows now, but there have been some recent reviews if you search around.

There is a promenade deck that goes all the way around for walking. As for freestyle, I love my freestyle. I would imagine that Christmas sailings are quite busy and there may be a little wait time, but you can always make reservations for the same night in same restaurant if you wish also. the Pasta cafe' was great, and when I sailed I don't think half the ship knew it was even an option, it was never crowded and always great. We ate there at least twice.

One tip I can give is if there are no tables in buffet area, you can take the stairs to the place that serves as the pasta cafe at night, and I always found plenty of seating there.

Again, she's a favorite ship of mine and as long as you understand she's older, smaller, and not one of the mega liners I think you'll enjoy her also.

We were on the Majesty in 12/05.

It is a small ship, which has advantages. You can get around easily and quickly. It's clean and we had no problems at all with anything. The only thing for me was the freestyle dining. After reading lots of post regarding fs dining, I was disappointed in it on the Majesty, because it was not built for fs dining. No complaints about the food, but I don't think you will get the full advantage of the fs dining experience on the Majesty. I would have been happy with traditional style on the Majesty.

Like I said, she's showing her age a little, but is still a nice ship and we had a blast on our cruise. I did post a review following our cruise you may want to read.

We did eat at the Bistro, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But we didn't eat at the other one, the one you pay for (already can't remember the name of it:confused: ). I just don't want to pay extra after I've already paid. But I heard it was good food.

The ports were great. The only new one for us was Key West. I just wished we had had more time at our ports.

You'll have a great time!

Shay

Oh, and the rooms are smaller than on most other ships. I think our cabin was 108 sq ft. When I took the Jewel and our room was 143 sq ft, I thought I was in Heaven.

Maybe one day I can afford a balcony or mini-suite. But the cheaper the cruise price, the more I can cruise so I'll stick with the small rooms for now!

We were on the Majesty in 12/05.

It is a small ship, which has advantages. You can get around easily and quickly. It's clean and we had no problems at all with anything. The only thing for me was the freestyle dining. After reading lots of post regarding fs dining, I was disappointed in it on the Majesty, because it was not built for fs dining. No complaints about the food, but I don't think you will get the full advantage of the fs dining experience on the Majesty. I would have been happy with traditional style on the Majesty.

Like I said, she's showing her age a little, but is still a nice ship and we had a blast on our cruise. I did post a review following our cruise you may want to read.

We did eat at the Bistro, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But we didn't eat at the other one, the one you pay for (already can't remember the name of it:confused: ). I just don't want to pay extra after I've already paid. But I heard it was good food.

Firstly, the Bistro is the restaurant that you pay extra for. The alternative restaurant for which there is no additional charge is a pasta restaurant set up evenings in the Royal Observatory lounge.

As for the suitability of the Majesty for freestyle, while it does not offer the wide choice of newer ships like the Jewel and Dawn, it still offers the most important features of freestyle for many of us: the ability to eat when you want, with whom you want, at the size table you want, wearing what you want (and not the costume of the day as decreed in the daily). You also have the ability to start with a pasta dish in the Royal Observatory, then enjoy the early show, and finish the evening with a leisurely dinner--at the time and place of your choice--in the Bistro or one of the two main dining rooms. Try doing that on Celebrity or some of the other "traditional" dining cruise lines.

Just remember that there will be a lot of kids on board if you are going on THE Christmas cruise. We took one at Thanksgiving last year, and there were lots of kids. Most were well behaved, though. The ship was a perfect size to me and since I live in SC, Charleston was great. If you like, spend an extra day or two there taking in the historic homes, walking on the Battery, cruising through the touristy (but neat!) market, and eating some great Southern food!

Loved the Majesty!!!!!

So, if leaving on the Majesty from Charleston in December, how is the weather? Warm, cool? How rough are the seas?

cruzeluver, Glad I could help! A good friend of mine grew up in the Charleston area. so she tells me bits of info. Just makes me jealous!

Thank you for all info fellow posters!

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I'm sailing in November with several first time cruisers and I'll have lots of info for them before we go. Keep the tips coming.

Any shows not to miss? Comedy? How was the art auction? Or was there one? Did they have deck parties?

Archived