Formal Night Attire

L2J

I thought I'd wear a dark suit or a tux, but while surfing the net I came across a white dinner jacket and am now considering that. I'm curious to know if anyone has worn one on formal night. Is it too retro (read out of style) or is it not appropriate for a cruise or formal night?

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

newparach.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Ok, so people do wear them. I guess my my biggest concern is are they out of style??

newparach.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Formal wear is never out of style, unless of course you are referring to the bright royal blue tuxedo from the "Miami Vice Collection" by After Six, circa 1985.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Liv...I'm so disappointed because I thought you said it was your black speedo with a bow tie for formal night. icon_frown.gif I was really looking forward to that....I may have to cancel!!! icon_wink.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/04

Sensational Cruise from the Bayou 10/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tef43:

unless of course you are referring to the bright royal blue tuxedo from the "Miami Vice Collection" by After Six, circa 1985.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...so I'm thinking the powder blue leisure suit is outicon_wink.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I thought you said it was your black speedo with a bow tie for formal night. I was really looking forward to that....I may have to cancel!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now now don't do something foolish like canceling. If it means that much to you I'll wear that for the cooler conga lineicon_biggrin.gif.

newparach.gif

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

Our friends from NJ cruise alot, and I know the husband has a white dinner jacket. He's around 65 and has jet black hair...she's 60'ish and has natural blonde hair (damn her)...she always wears a black dress...they look dynamite together. I say wear what you feel comfortable in. Dress clothes never go out of style. Barb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Formal wear is never out of style, unless of course you are referring to the bright royal blue tuxedo from the "Miami Vice Collection" by After Six, circa 1985 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dang there goes my formal night I bought the powder blue one from ebay just last week!!, I even thought it was cool they had my size.

Now I know why it's out of style. icon_frown.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;5;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till I ride the waves of the Sensation to Cozumel"

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

Sensation.gif

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

I say GO for it!

Wear the white jacket on the 2nd formal night...this way you can get a little sun-tan on your face first. White looks better with a tan....

or jet black hair like the above poster stated!!!

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

Thanks for the advice. Now if I can just find a package deal on tux and jacket - I'd be set.

Oh, and what's the preferred color - white or ivory?

newparach.gif

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

If you want to save some aggravation and luggage space, rent one on the ship. They have both black Tuxes and white dinner jackets and multiple shirts. It will be in your room when you arrive and picked up on the last night. I did it on our last cruise and it worked out very well.

Triumph

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2005;3;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Glory 8/03

Imagination 2/01

Ecstasy

Fantasy

Carnivale

I checked the link and that really isn't too bad but then I got to thinking. I'm not sure that I'm comfortable wearing a rental for various reasons.

As far as the white jacket - white comes in polyester only unless I have it custom made. So I'm going with the ivory wool blend.

newparach.gif

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

I think a white jacket with shawl collar would be great. Before anyone considers renting one, you should compare the price of renting vs buying. You can buy a decent tux at one of the big rental chains for not much more than a single rental. I bought one a few years ago and have worn it many times- cruises, a couple of formal balls, chaperoning senior proms, even our son's wedding. Now, I'm considering adding a dinner jacket.

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

Dan - that's exactly what I've been looking for and an great price too - Thanks. Everyone I've talked to said poly only...Grrrr.

Celtic - where the heck have you been hiding? Over on that "other" board?icon_biggrin.gif.

Kenster - The cost comparison was one of the things I was thinking as well.

newparach.gif

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

I have been lurking.

Did you get to Sean on that site?

Talk about timeless elegance!

My SO already had a tux and then I made the mistake of playing him a scene from "Now Voyager" (before your time?), with Bette Davis and Paul Henried where Paul was wearing a white dinner jacket on a cruise.

He had to have one.

It looks wonderful. His also is a light weight wool, but I can't remember if it is ivory.

The polyester did not look as nice.

I love when the men dress up.

celtic

ps:

The nonsense is still going on over there. I don't understand these people wallowing in misery.

cs

I sure did Celtic and bookmarked that site - it's great! I've found the white wool and now I'm happyicon_biggrin.gif.

I've seen some of the threads over there and can't believe there are still JRs threads. Oh well to each his own. You need to book over here you knowicon_wink.gif. We're much more funicon_biggrin.gif.

I like to dress up to becuase my SO likes it and then I...well you know!!

newparach.gif

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

A friend from CC just returned from Carnival. You may remember nosnobunny aka beth. She posted over here before she went.

We just got a short message from her about her cruise.

I think she thought the decor a little over the top, and she raved about the food.

She is still vacationing and I am looking forward to hearing more from her.

She did say she had a good time.

I am very interested in booking Carnival, but I have always been afraid it might be too rowdy.

But talking to the people here, I am thinking maybe Carnival gets unfairly judged.

On my last cruise, Celebrity, we were at a beach in Cozumel the same time as a Carnival group.

Guess who looked like they were having more fun?

I also think that silly show "Shipmates" didn't do Carnival any favors. But I did take that with a BIG grain of salt.

So if I ever have any money again in my lifetime, I just might do it!

celtic

Yup I "know" her and glad she had a good time. Now where on earth would you get the idea that CCL was rowdy?....Never mind...Cozumel...Carlos and Charlies heehee. There's some group cruises $25/pp. Too good to pass up and she'll be less than a year old when we sail her!!

newparach.gif

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

There's some group cruises $25/pp. Too good to pass up and she'll be less than a year old when we sail her!!

Liv,

I don't understand this paragraph.

Did you leave something out?

What ship are you talking about and what is $25/pp?

cs icon_confused.gif

Archived