5* for Hooves-Jamaica Horseback riding tour!!!

LolaWiz

I booked with this private tour company because of some praises on this board and was not dissappointed.

I was nervous to do in not with the cruise line, but it was one of the best decessions i made.

We were picked up at the pier in Ocho Rios and were taken to the old pineapple plantation the tour is started at. They were very friendly and we never felt anything but safe with everyone.

We had to guides with our group of 5 people. Three from my party and two from a resort on the island. Everyone was so friendly and informative. We learned a lot about the history of jamaica and the guides even sang some Bob Marley as well.

When we got to the beach, all of our stuff (towels and bags) were waiting for us along with some homemade limeaid and some jamaican snacks to try. There was also beer to buy and some good deals on a few small souviners. My mom got three beautiful necklaces for 21$ and i got a cool bamboo necklace for my brother for 4$.

When they switched the horses to ride in the water we were lead out and it was the most memorable experince of the entire cruise! we stayed in the water for quite some time then were lead back via beach up to the plantation house.

We got a very cool souviner photo of us in the water for 10$ as well.

i give this experience 5 stars. everything was perfect.

If you are looking to horseback ride in the ocean, this is the tour for you!

I did the horseback riding with Hooves 2 years ago and have to agree with you. You do not realize how strong horses really are until you ride them in the ocean. I will never forget the experience. My horse's name was Peace Keeper. Awesome!!!!!

I did the horseback riding with Hooves 2 years ago and have to agree with you. You do not realize how strong horses really are until you ride them in the ocean. I will never forget the experience. My horse's name was Peace Keeper. Awesome!!!!!

• 11 months later...

We just got back from a Star Princess cruise last week (Jan 20-27) and also had an amazing experience with Hooves. I echo the thoughts of the first post in that we were a bit nervous to book an independent tour, but it was the best thing I could have done. They responded to my request immediately, along with a couple of nice emails since. We were picked up off the dock by Eric in one of their vans. Since we were waiting for another couple off the next ship to dock, Eric gave us a short tour of the city that was very informative and fun. After the other couple joined us, we drove to the ranch. There we were joined by two families from hotels on the island for a total of about 12 of us. Our ride down to the water included Jamaican songs from our guides and stops to smell the various leaves that they picked from allspice and lime trees. The staff drove our beach bags in the van down to the water, where we slipped off our jeans and got back on the horses in our swimsuits. Our groups had been divided up with two guides each, and I marveled as the first group of horses seemed to love going into the water. No one had to lead them in, they wanted to swim. Once our group was in, we were litterally up to the top of the saddles in the water and cantering along. This is one of the things that was on my "to do" list before I leave this earth, and I was not disappointed. What a blast. I owned a horse when I was younger, but experience is not necessary. There was a 6-year-old in the group that had a great time too. There is someone there to do both video and still photography (videos were $30 and stills were $10). We opted for the video, which they will edit with music and send. We also brought our own waterproof camera, which the guide took pictures of us.

There was an area set up with thatched roof shelters where they were selling water/beer/soda/T-shirts/jewelry etc., but there was no pressure.

The Hooves people from the reservation agent/van driver/and guides could not have been nicer, and the horses were amazingly taken care of. I've been in other countries, where the horses looked pretty sad. The best part is that some of the fee you pay goes back into the rehabilitation of the animals (check their website). Also by booking it yourself, you save about half the price as the cruise ship wanted. I can't say enough good things about this ride, and remember it is for all ages and experience levels. Just google Hooves Jamaica to find their site.

Happy Trails

Just one quick addition... We just got the video from the ride in the mail today (less than one week since we've been back), and it was fantastic. It was very professionally done, edited to music, and showed the ride in its entirety (plus an added section that shows how they have saved the horses they use from a certain fate). Not only am I glad that we invested in the video, but now I wish I had gotten the still pictures. What great memories for us.

Again, I cannot say enough good things about this place. Definitely a must do in Jamaica.

Thanks for all the info on this, it sounds awesome. Based on your post and others on the board we just booked ours for our RCL cruise in April.

I booked it as part of a tour with Marva Shaw. We'll do the horesback swim and Dunn's River. Can't wait!!!:D

event.png

progress.gif:)

• 9 months later...

I'm a little scared to do a private tour instead of a ship excursion considering some of the things I have read about Jamaica. My 11 year old loves to ride but you must be 12 to do the ship excursion. I guess I just want to know that we will be safe and we will be back to the ship on time. Any suggestions??

I'm a little scared to do a private tour instead of a ship excursion considering some of the things I have read about Jamaica. My 11 year old loves to ride but you must be 12 to do the ship excursion. I guess I just want to know that we will be safe and we will be back to the ship on time. Any suggestions??

Most private tour company schudule their tours to finish way long before the ship sail,so you will be back at the ship and have time to relax.

Archived