QM2-what happens next?

English Voyager

Given that the QM2 is due to depart Rio de Janiero on the 26 January,and Cunard now know the speed of the ship subsequent to the accident,does anyone know their intentions re the imminent cruise?

Cunard's UK website appars to show an unamended itinerary.

Given the fact that passengers must be enroute,there could be more fireworks on the horizon!

According to an on-board report, once QM2 catches up with her regular

schedule in Rio, there are only a couple of minor port time adjustments:

MONTEVIDEO: will still be in port overnight but depart at 2AM and not 2PM Jan 30th.

ACAPULCO: port time shortened by 3 hours, now 12N - 6PM.

Barring no other incidents, she is still scheduled to arrive San Pedro on time at 9AM Wednesday Feb 22nd.

Bob.

Dear English,

This is exactly what everyone who has QM2 cruises post-Rio booked is concerned about.

Whilst the post-Rio itineraries may not suffer such disruption as this celebrated fiasco, they will definitely be curtailed.

And "as sure as eggs is eggs", to use an old English expression, QM2 will have to go to drydock. Will it be your cruise that is cancelled or mine?

Probably even Cunard don't know. But do they care? This is what grates with passengers on board right now. I have just had a categorical assurance from my travel agent that our forthcoming cruise on QM2 on April 1st will proceed as scheduled: "We spoke to Cunard!"

The problem with organising repairs is that there is no time allowed in any schedule for a period in dry dock or just at the wharf.

After arrival in LA........... same day departs for 3 day cruise......... then goes to Hawaii............... then back to LA............... then round Cape Horn again................. on arrival in New York (lets not forget it is opening the new Brooklyn Terminal on 15 April) it then departs on Transatlantic the same day!!!!!!

If downtime is required to fix the problem (the original Cunard press release spoke of piecemeal repairs at each and every port........ but that has not been mentioned since) ...... something, somewhere is going to be cut. (refer "Repairing the QM2" thread), I just wish Cunard would break their silence.

Kind regards

I just received the following update from my TA:

Cunard has asked us to contact you regarding your upcoming sailing on QM2 sailing 2/08/06. Please be advised of the following:

“Due to a technical problem that has required [QM2] to travel at a slightly reduced speed, the following port timings have been revised”:

Callao: 7am-5pmFebruary 11, 2006

Puerto Caldera: 6am-5pmFebruary 17, 2006

Acapulco: 12pm-6pmFebruary 19, 2006

Per Cunard: “Please be assured that while the reduced speed is necessary, the safety of our passengers, crew and vessel has not been compromised. In recognition of any disappointment that these changes may cause, [Cunard] is pleased to provide you with a non-refundable onboard credit of $100.00 per person.”

Archived