Teenager reviews

linnied

Hello,

I read a review from an appartent teenager and she had a terrible time on the Magic. We are going on our first cruise in July and traveling with 2 teenagers and 2 younger yet not little kids (11 & 12). Anyone out there with big kids and teenagers who have a review? It would be greatly appreciated.

Are the teenagers "required" to do activities in the teen clubs or is it more of a go and hang out, do what you want (as long as you behave), meet and mingle kid of atmosphere?

This other teenager also stated that inorder to embark on an island, she was required to get up and out around 5 AM inorder to get through customs. She was Canadian so was this the reason? Do all passangers experience a early embark time and is customs required at all islands?

Any comments, info is welcomed

I read the same review and was really surprised that he/she had such a bad experience. We were onboard our last Magic cruise with my teenage sister. She had a GREAT time onboard and is hoping that we'll be able to take another Disney cruise.

As for the teen area, they had some planned activities and some "hang-out" time. She participated in both, and when she wanted to leave, she just left. She said that some of the planned activities were really fun, but she also went to dance night, etc.

As for the 5 am customs check, there is an early customs check at St. Martin if you're going on the Eastern Caribbean cruise. I think we had to report to the customs area around 6:45 or so, but it only took a few minutes (not an hour for sure)!

Of course, we also thought the food and activities and atmosphere were great, and didn't find Castaway Cay crowded by any means! It's a fantastic beach experience, especially compared to the Jones Beach experience we get here on Long Island.

Also, keep in mind that this teen was writing a review based on a February 2003 cruise, and things have changed with the teen club/kids club since then.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if our experience is typical but here goes...After hearing so much hoopla about the Disney Cruises while vacationing at WDW, we booked a 3 day Disney cruise during spring break (two years ago). All three kids were bored AND disappointed. The kids' activities for older kids were no where close to what they expected. (If you've seen the cruise promotions from Disney, you know that these cruises look like a wonderful vacation for everyone) The teen club was usually empty; not much going on.... Nothing interesting in the older kids club either. We assuming that the kids activites would be running in high gear since we were traveling during spring break season!

In comparison, we went on a 7 night Royal Caribbean cruise last May on Navigator of the Seas. ALL the kids had a blast! The kids' and teens' areas were very active and fun. We had to drag the kids out of the kid/teen clubs! (The boys loved the arcade too!) Disney cruises are great for younger kids and kids who are in awe of Disney characters.

The Disney cruise is full of Disney magic for those who can't get enough Mickey time! On the other hand, our kids LOVED our last cruise (RCCL) so much that we're doing another one this summer on RC Freedom of the Seas!

In closing, I'd say match your kids' interests and activity level to ship you choose!! Good luck!

Hi,

In December we cruised on the Magic with our family. One grandaughter was 14 and she had cruised once before on DCL. She absouletly loved it. She was gone from the time the Stack opened up til it closed. She did show up at dinner a few nights because she got a new dress to wear, but then she was off again with the teens on board. Last October the Stack (teen area) was remodled during drydock and we toured it on our last crusie. It was really a great place for kids to hang out. She did acivities and free time both. sometimes she would go with other teens to hand out in the family pool and hot tubs too. I remember her telling us that the first day was the most important time to hang in the stack because the counselors had lots of Ice breaker things they all did so they could get to know each other. She said the older teens seemed to hang by themselves and the younger ones stuck together too. It was a natural kind of split, all were friendly to each other. One thing she did that made it a more possitive experience was she went to the dis boards, went to the cruise meets thread and posted on our cruise date for any teens going to PM her and get aquainted before the cruise. She made 3 good friends before even getting on board. Then they arranged a time and place to meet. Within 24 hours her 3 friends had expanded to 15 friends, many of whom she is still in conntact with. Also we had a lot of teens on our cruise, on CC the teen only excursion had 38 teens on it. Most times it is 8 to 10 kids. I know she did games, Karoke, dances, pizza parties, movies, arcade,scavenger hunt, pool party and more she didnt want to say. it isnt cool to tell grandma everything you got to do!!!

I guess it just depends on the kids, some love it, some hate it. But if you go, I would go to the dis boards and let your teens post for other teens to join them. There are cruise meets threads for almost every cruise for the next few months. if you dont find your date, start your own thread and others will respond to it. Having friends before the cruise is a great thing for all ages.

I wish you a very magical cruise!!! No matter who you cruise with.

mom x4,grandma x4

My daughter has been on Disney cruises at age 14, 15 and 17, and loved all of them. After the first one, relatives asked us to go with them to Disney World the next year, and she said she hoped they would do the cruise, too, because she liked that better than Disney World (we did end up doing both). This year we're going on Royal Caribbean for various reasons, and she's looking forward to it but noted when our cruise docs arrived yesterday, "They don't look the same! They're not in the little box."

Only the first time did DD do the teen club, and even then, only to attend the first night's activities; then she and a new friend hung out together every evening. DD loved doing port activities with the family, snorkeling at Castaway Cay, dinner and shows with the family, etc. The teen club was never really a factor in whether she liked or didn't like the cruise; on the other hand, my nephew LOVED the teen club and was with them every minute he could get away. It all depends on what your teens are interested in.

Archived