Prepaid Gratuities

trustthedj

Service will not be any less if you choose to prepay your tips when paying for your cruise.

Remember that, when doing this, you do not have an option when onboard to increase, decrease, or remove your tips. It's a done deal.

If you don't prepay, then the automatic tips will be on your S&S account and you do have those options. Hopefully, nobody actually decreases or removes tips. I leave them on, and tip extra to a few folks at the end of the cruise. It's your call.

We were on another line and when I was at the pursers desk, the lady beside me was going through each & every tip on her account. She got a read out of her account and was telling the purser to lower this one by 0.50, lower that one by 1.00 etc. Rediculous.

We were on another line and when I was at the pursers desk, the lady beside me was going through each & every tip on her account. She got a read out of her account and was telling the purser to lower this one by 0.50, lower that one by 1.00 etc. Rediculous.

That will neve cruise xxx again, because ports were missed, the server did not bow properly, the carpets had food spilled on them, ice bucket in the room only had 24 cubes instead of 30...

Not something to get ruffled about for sure, I have done both, but lean towards pre-pay just to get them off the sign and sail.

When we've booked our cruises on Carnival (one with a TA and the last two with a Carnival PVP), the subject of prepaying tips never came up. When we got our S&S statement at the end of the cruises, the tips were there listed as miscellaneous charges.

The couple we were with in 2004 were not happy with their room steward, and were told during the week that they could have the tip removed by going to the purser's desk. Don't know if they did.

Is what happened to us different from "prepaying" tips?

Is what happened to us different from "prepaying" tips?

Habby, to explain the difference in tipping procedures:

"Prepaid Tips" - When paying for your cruise, you can go ahead and pay for the tips at that time. Therefore, no tips will show up on your S&S account. You do not have the option of reducing or removing your tips. They're already paid and that's that.

"Automatic Tips" - If you did NOT prepay your tips... This is the amount ($10 per person per day) that is on your S&S account. They can be increased, decreased, or removed.

I feel sure that most folks do not prepay their tips. Most leave the automatic tips on their S&S account. Some (like me) do this, and then tip extra to some of the crew at the end of the cruise.:)

Thank you very much for your explanation, Cotton. Mine was one of those questions that I hadn't seen answered so eloquently and completely. I always logged off still scratching my head. I totally understand now.

We have always left the automatic tips on also and plan to continue to do so in the future, and have always given extra cash. (Another good reason to get to know your "service staff".) It's amazing what some of these people are giving up to serve us.

we maybe use the dining room once a week we have 2 kids why we all are expected to pay tips for something we dont use is beyond me so we dont we pay the cabin boy and a few bar staff and some of the kids club staff

Passengers are not expected to pay tips for something they don't use. I certainly wouldn't.

As Carnival has been in business for quite a long time, it seems that they probably had enough passengers ask for guidelines regarding tipping, and (only assuming here) had some passengers ask about setting up a program such as the "automatic tips". On our last cruise, there was a separate sheet with our first issue of Capers explaining the automatic tips and how they were divided. Passengers are also given the option of having the "automatic tips" adjusted as they feel are warranted.

I remember the "old days" (late 80s) when we had to make sure we kept enough cash aside for tipping.:eek:

I hope I didn't sound like I was coming down on you, and if I did, I apologize. I guess sometimes words like "expected" when it comes to tipping set me off.

Anybody know where the term "tips" came from, anyway?

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

• $5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
  • $1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
  • $3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

I guess you could tip them for the days you show up for dinner in the dining room.

After looking at the breakdown of the tips I was just wondering.....

why the dining teams get more than the room stewards. Do the dining teams work in the dining rooms at breakfast and lunch, too? (We've actually only eaten breakfast twice in the dining room, and lunch never, on our past two cruises.) If they do, I guess that would explain the larger portion of the $10/person/day. It just seems that the room stewards do so much all day. I'm sure that based on experience and reports, this breakdown of tips is the recommendation of Carnival.

BTW, I'm not putting down any of the service staff. They've all been absolutely wonderful to us.

We actually saw our dining room waiters outside of the formal dining room working ( one on the Lido deck and the other in the Tiffany). So how do they break it down???:confused: I know Roger put in a full 12 hour day (saw him that much), so does he only get the $10 or does he get the other or a portion of each......

I like having everything paid for BEFORE I get on the boat... when I think of it - I like having everything paid for 75 days BEFORE I get on the boat! That way, when I get on the boat I am just paying for drinks and fun! We had such a great time we also tipped $10 extra each the last day, the steward, the waiter and assistant, our favorite bartender and then the girl that greets us in the dining room,(she took care of a rude waiter problem at a breakfast). I didn't tip the maitre d on the last day as they requested.. figured what did he do?

After looking at the breakdown of the tips I was just wondering.....

why the dining teams get more than the room stewards. Do the dining teams work in the dining rooms at breakfast and lunch, too? (We've actually only eaten breakfast twice in the dining room, and lunch never, on our past two cruises.) If they do, I guess that would explain the larger portion of the $10/person/day. It just seems that the room stewards do so much all day. I'm sure that based on experience and reports, this breakdown of tips is the recommendation of Carnival.

BTW, I'm not putting down any of the service staff. They've all been absolutely wonderful to us.

Yes, you are correct in your thinking... they work not only in the dining room, but also the buffet area... they alternate, you may see them in either venue during breakfast and lunch... they work very hard and that is the reason Carnival states the tipping applies regardless of where you dine... so unless a person simply doesn't eat, they should still tip... but there are those people that look for any excuse possible.

The tips are split between the team (pooled), so no, not just one person gets the tips... also, your steward pays his/her assistant out of their own pay...

Yes, you are correct in your thinking... they work not only in the dining room, but also the buffet area... they alternate, you may see them in either venue during breakfast and lunch... they work very hard and that is the reason Carnival states the tipping applies regardless of where you dine... so unless a person simply doesn't eat, they should still tip... but there are those people that look for any excuse possible.

The tips are split between the team (pooled), so no, not just one person gets the tips... also, your steward pays his/her assistant out of their own pay...

Thanks for providing a sensible answer to my "just wondering". I do remember seeing wait team members in the Lido restaurant area at breakfast, and having been in the service industry myself, hope that other passengers realize just how hard these people work for "tips". I guess maybe I was just hoping to open some eyes.

OMG, if I don't stop now, I'll babble.:o

Thanks for providing a sensible answer to my "just wondering". I do remember seeing wait team members in the Lido restaurant area at breakfast, and having been in the service industry myself, hope that other passengers realize just how hard these people work for "tips". I guess maybe I was just hoping to open some eyes.

OMG, if I don't stop now, I'll babble.:o

They do work very hard, long hours, with very little time off... some people will actually avoid the dining room so they don't have to tip, having conveniently not read THAT part of the tipping policy... they have a name for people like that :D

I know what you mean... time to get some sleep here!! Have a great night!

I think the reason the dining team's tip is larger than the room steward is because you're tipping more than one person. I remember in the old days (LOL) you used to tip the waiter and the busboy separately. The waiter received the same tip as your room steward and the busboy got half of that amount. No tip for bistro service (since there was no way to do that in cash).

And to answer the question... "tips" is actually an acronym... TIPS (to insure prompt service) :)

we are going on our 1st cruis ein June. When do we get the option to prepay the tips and all of that?

I believe it should have been brought up by your TA when you booked the cruise. But maybe you can still do it before you make final payment? I'd check with the TA.

I can't imagine taking my tips off my S&S card.

What I wouldn't give at home to be able to go out for breakfast, lunch, dinner, have my bedroom & bathroom cleaned for only $10.00 a day!!! If anyone knows how this is possible please sign me up :p !!!

Archived