Currently on the Armonia - Captain just announced we will not be docking in Havana 😢

travelingtink

They just finished all the multi language announcements. Due to the nex travel restrictions imposed yesterday we will not be docking in Havana. They have not yet determined alternatives.

Everything I read led me to believe we would be okay because we were already paid but I guess not. Also even though this only affects US citizens travel, the captain said that since we left from a US port, we would not be allowed to dock in Cuba. So I imagine MSC can eventually continue going to Cuba if they originate somewhere else. 

Sorry to hear they stopped going to Havana already.  Have they told you what port(s) would be substituted?

We're booked on a 14 day cruise departing Miami on September 16th.  The main purpose of taking this cruise were the stops in Havana.  We are so disappointed.  We even bought our air fare.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

MSC are bound to have known this before cruise actually commenced but only inform passengers now!  I'd be gutted. Have booked Armonia for May 2020. It's a UK booking so if we cancelled will lose deposit. Only booked as Cuba was on itinerary.

Edited by harv2015
Error
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, harv2015 said:

MSC are bound to have known this before this cruise commenced but only inform passengers now!  I'd be gutted. Have booked Armonia for May 2020. Only booked as Cuba was on itinerary.

MSC only  found out about the new restrictions and travel ban when we all did yesterday.

• Like 9

I am booked on this cruise next week   6/10 and this is disappointing.  MSC's statement 

seems contrary  to what the Department of Treasury released yesterday.  I wonder what 

RCL and CCL are doing.

Extended day in Cozumel, were previously leaving at 3pm but now 8pm

Day at Sea on Saturday 

Key West on Sunday 

I'm afraid to go downstairs anywhere near Customer Service. I’m told it’s all hands on deck and every officer is down there. So far the mood is okay up on the pool deck. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FLHugh said:

I am booked on this cruise next week   6/10 and this is disappointing.  MSC's statement 

seems contrary  to what the Department of Treasury released yesterday.  I wonder what 

RCL and CCL are doing.

Carnival is offering 100 obc to those that stay, 50 and switch to another ship or ports or full refund and have cancelled Cuba. It's on their page.

Just now, travelingtink said:

Extended day in Cozumel, were previously leaving at 3pm but now 8pm

Day at Sea on Saturday 

Key West on Sunday 

I'm afraid to go downstairs anywhere near Customer Service. I’m told it’s all hands on deck and every officer is down there. So far the mood is okay up on the pool deck. 

I can be sorta happy with Key West. Better than Nassau.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FLHugh said:

RCL and CCL are doing.

If you go back to the full release from yesterday, it says (paraphrased) "Cruises, private boats, etc, must cease ASAP"

Something like that

26 minutes ago, harv2015 said:

MSC are bound to have known this before cruise actually commenced but only inform passengers now!  I'd be gutted. Have booked Armonia for May 2020. It's a UK booking so if we cancelled will lose deposit. Only booked as Cuba was on itinerary.

We're from the UK and re due to sail 17th June.  Absolutely gutted. No notification from MSC either.  I think they need to be very careful.  Their PR is not good at the moment with Opera having the accident in Venice!

3 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

We're from the UK and re due to sail 17th June.  Absolutely gutted. No notification from MSC either.  I think they need to be very careful.  Their PR is not good at the moment with Opera having the accident in Venice!

Give them time. They have to deal with the passengers already on the ships. I’m sure they will be communicating with future passengers soon. 

From yesterday's news story:

Vessels ineligible for permits

The Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security, in coordination with the Office of Foreign Assets Control, is amending Export Administration Regulations to make passenger and recreational vessels and private and corporate aircraft ineligible for a license exception and to establish a general policy of denial for license applications involving those vessels and aircraft.

This indicates cruise ships are 'effectively ineligible for the necessary permits from Treasury and OFAC to leave the US for Cuba,' according to Collin Laverty, president of Cuba Educational Travel.

'There is no language about an exception for cruise ships or a delay, meaning these go into effect tomorrow, June 5th, 2019, and immediately halt cruise travel,' Laverty told Seatrade Cruise News. 'I believe the cruise industry is scrambling to determine what do with cruise passengers in the coming day and if there’s a way to get permission for the ships to proceed as planned.'

3 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

MSC like the other lines found out yesterday so how could they inform you beforehand ? As for their PR, I think you need to read what has been given to Opera passengers. This is not the choice of MSC who have been handed a poison chalice  but the US government.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

I am sure that right now they're all running around like their hair is on fire, bouncing between legal, ports, reservations and even provisioning

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rwdtgb said:

MSC only  found out about the new restrictions and travel ban when we all did yesterday.

Didn't realise. I guess MSC have been caught unaware.   A lot of people seem to book Armonia for the Cuba stop.  That's the reason why I booked. 

40 minutes ago, sidari said:

MSC like the other lines found out yesterday so how could they inform you beforehand ? As for their PR, I think you need to read what has been given to Opera passengers. This is not the choice of MSC who have been handed a poison chalice  but the US government.

I didn't mention anything about informing us beforehand!  I have received no notification from them today.  I'm due to sail in 11 days.  I fully realise why they have had to cancel but when problems arise it is a measure of any company's worth to inform customers of the situation even if it's just to say they are aware of the inconvenience etc etc and are working to resolve it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

I didn't mention anything about informing us beforehand!  I have received no notification from them today.  I'm due to sail in 11 days.  I fully realise why they have had to cancel but when problems arise it is a measure of any company's worth to inform customers of the situation even if it's just to say they are aware of the inconvenience etc etc and are working to resolve it.

No one else has received any information as yet, you have to remember that MSC are not only dealing with Armonia but also the Opera cruises out of Havana along with the current Opera sailings out of Venice.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

No one has. There's a statement on their website but no one has been individually notified yet. I think they are still figuring out the logistics.

• Like 2