Vancouver to Seattle

I'm looking for help as to the best means of transportation from Vancouver to Seattle. We are staying two days post-cruise at the Pan Pacific Hotel and need to figure out the best way to get to SeaTac Airport. Any suggestions or travel tips would be a great help!

We live in Seattle and take the train back/forth. It's usually about $25pp for the one way trip. It's a beautiful (and peaceful) ride along Puget Sound most of the way so you see the water and the islands etc.

Schedule is limited to only a few trains a day. Train ride takes 4 hours barring any delays. Train station is in downtown Seattle and cabs are always waiting out front when a train comes in and can take you to the airport. Taxi cost is about $25 (total not pp) and takes 20-40 minutes depending on time of day/traffic.

That's what works for us, anyway.

Although I LOVE the train, if you're coming from the Pan Pacific and going directly to SeaTac and not staying overnight in Seattle, probably your best bet is the Quick Shuttle (http://www.quickcoach.com). It stops at several of the downtown Vancouver hotels and then goes to SeaTac, and it runs several times a day. The train to Seattle only runs once a day (they operate bus service at other times of day), leaving at 6PM and getting to Seattle a little after 10, so if you're not staying overnight in Seattle, it's not usually the best option. If you are staying over in Seattle, though, I'd definitely do the train, it really is lovely and crossing the border is fast and easy--you go through immigration at the station in Vancouver, and they collect your customs forms when the train stops briefly at the border. No sitting in traffic or having to get off a bus and talk to a customs inspector.

OK, you both sold me on the train down to SeaTac. In planning I wasn't sure how long it would take us to get thru customs, so I booked one night at an airport hotel prior to our trip back to Baltimore. Who wants immediate stress after just getting off a cruise! Thanks again, Katie

Also, you can save a cab fair by taking the bus from the Amktrak Station to the airport. Not sure if they run at 10pm at night though. We did this we took the Amtrak bus during the day, then got on the city bus right afterwards. This year, we are taking the 6pm train but we are staying the night downtown, and not flying back until the following evening so that we can spend a full day in Seattle.

The Metro bus does run at night but it can be a little sketchy, especially if you're taking it to a hotel by SeaTac instead of directly to SeaTac. There's less express buses that time of night, so it takes longer, and there tend to be more creepy people on the bus after 10PM, like, people who appear to be on drugs, smelly people, hookers, that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, if I'm travelling for work during the daytime, I totally love the bus to SeaTac, it's fast and convenient (it stops right in front of my building!) and doesn't feel creepy at all. But if I were getting off the 10PM Amtrak, I'd take a cab, not the bus.

If you do decide to take the bus, it's #174 or #194, one is the express and one is the local and I can never remember which is which. From the train station, you'll head up the stairs to Jackson Street and go across the street to the block that's shaped like a triangle, and the bus will stop there (check the bus stop sign to make sure you're at the right stop and for schedule info). You can also get schedule info online at transit.metrokc.gov.

• 3 weeks later...

We always take a limo from downtown Seattle (where the ferry drops us off) to SeaTac. There are several companies that provide great service. The one we use costs @$25. Cabs run $25-30.

Like everyone else, we love the AmTrak train. Do pay to upgrade; you get a food credit to compensate for part of the cost. Worth the difference. I suggest you skip the restaurant breakfast - tasty, but pretty greasy. Better to bring your own or pick up something light in the snack bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Maybe somebody here can help me.

Will be in Vancouver on May 17.taking Alaska Air to Seattle.

only one hour 15 minutes for next flight on US Airways to Charlotte NC.

What I am asking, will my luggage go straight to Charlotte, or will I need to go through costum in Seattle? Not enough time I am sure we called US airways but they don't know ??? maybe Idea where I can find out???

Thank you

Gusti, they now have a new system where cruisers going straight to the airport after their cruise have some sort of expedited customs clearance process. I can't remember where I saw the article about the program, but I bet if you check the Vancouver Airport website, they'll have info about it.

Thank you Beth, checked Seattle airport and they have a speedier connection, but still have to go through costume.

I will not come from the ship, staying in Vancouver 2 days. Checked the shuttle, not anymore time

Will check Vancouver Aport

Thank you Gusti

Archived