Contact lenses and snorkeling...can you do it?

loveysbydesign

HI there, I am just wondering about snorkelling gear-buying vs renting-there is no dive shop that I know of around here-how well do you think the snorkel gear from a store like Walmart would be? How do you know what kind to buy? I saw a set of snorkel, fins, mask for $30.00-I don't know if this is too cheap or not-I don't want to spend alot if I do buy. I wish I could remember the brand name of the equipment but I can't. Leader maybe?

HI there, I am just wondering about snorkelling gear-buying vs renting-there is no dive shop that I know of around here-how well do you think the snorkel gear from a store like Walmart would be? How do you know what kind to buy? I saw a set of snorkel, fins, mask for $30.00-I don't know if this is too cheap or not-I don't want to spend alot if I do buy. I wish I could remember the brand name of the equipment but I can't. Leader maybe?

Rental equipment has been on the face, feet and in the mouth of many before you. Cleaning usually consist of throwing it back in the rental bucket. Often rental equipment sacrifices fit and comfort for durable materials. The equipment you will find at department stores is rarely pro grade. It does not fit or perform as well and it rarely lasts. Yes, it is inexpensive and you are getting what you are paying for. Here's a package to take a look at:

http://www.123scuba.com/p-MFS01.html

It's pro-grade equipment - We have just heavily discounted the price so we can be competitive with the dept stores. If $49 is too much then I would suggest at least getting something of your own for just the sanitary factor alone...

Is there any way to snorkle with glasses (put them in your mask somehow - I know they would break the seal by wearing them regularly)? My DH can't wear contacts, is totally blind without his glasses and we really don't have $70 to spend on a mask that he will probably only use once.

Unfortunately, there is no mask/product that will allow you to fit regular eye glasses into a mask.

I've used contacts for snorkeling for years. In fact I can no longer wear contacts for every day but wear them at the beach, snorkeling and other activities where they are convenient. Otherwise I wear bifocal (progressive) glasses. On snorkeling & beach days I wear contacts and take along cheap reading glasses.

Doctors have cautioned to be very careful with length of time after being in the sea and to be careful cleaning and disinfecting as they say wearing in sea water increases chances of infection. So disposables would help a lot.

Archived