Triumph or Victory?? & a few ??

soocruise

Is there any real difference between the ships? Which would you choose?

Early December or late January? Early Dec is a bit cheaper, but not enough to really worry about.

Back to back or 2 single cruises. Other than air fare is there any other savings doing a back to back?

Would you rather cruise every 2 years on a single or every 3 years on a back to back?

These are the questions I've been contemplating prior to booking my cruise, hope you can help me decide so I can start booking instead of just thinking about it.

I've been down with the flu for a couple of days and came back to this..

Lots of lookers... no one has any opinions for me?

One more question to add LOL. If we do a back to back, should we do east or west first.

I'll be going with DH & DD10, their first cruise was on the VOS Western. It was pretty awful all around as we had my Mom with us. She had dementia and also used a wheelchair, I didn't realize just how much care she would require. I wouldn't trade the trip for anything as it was my last chance to be with my Mom, we sat on the balcony for hours laughing and crying about everything. Not much fun for the other two though, so I really want to make it up to them this time.

Comon cruisers, I would really like your thoughts on these questions!! I've been thinking about this for around a month now and just can't decide.

From what I've read... potatoe/patadoe on all accounts. Pick the best price-point and have a ball. If you decide to do a B2B, I would do a western first... but don't eally know why.

I'm real interested in the Eastern and Southern until Mexico get back in the same shape it was, before the storm.

Thanks for the reply!! Western first eh? That makes sense but I couldn't tell you why either. lol

I've either heard really good or really bad on the Victory, very little inbetween and mostly inbetween on the Triumph. weird.

I've 'always' wanted to do the legend south, I just find it too hard to justify the extra cost.

Interesting... it looks like the Triumph has won! I know some people that went on the victory and loved it, but the reviews are very up and down.

The east or west first is a tie LOL. I like both so I guess it really doesn't matter, will prob do west first for the beaches and then east for the shopping (browsing). Or maybe the other way would be better. ROFL Might let the TA decide.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind.

Now I just need to decide early Dec or late Jan. I'm leaning toward Jan... but just can't stand the thought of booking it for next year. I want this year! lol Any thoughts?

Have travelled both Eastern & Western on Triumph . It is a fabulous ship had great service, great food, and the Cruise Director both times was John Heald- absolutely the best- laughed til we cried and entire family ages 12- 72 had a blast! Eastern IMHO is much better for shopping/bargain hunting jewelry and liquor, (especially St Martin & St Thomas) We didn't care for San Juan- ship gets there in pm thus not much for families w/kids to do in San Juan and most shore excursions are barhopping. Western seems a little more physically adventurous- i.e. climbing Dunn River Falls in Ochos Rios Jamaica, Snorkling w/ stingrays in Grand Cayman, or snorkling or swimming w/ Dolphins in Cozumel. My children prefer Western,because it's more active, and there is more things to do.

I was on the Triumph in 2004 and the Victory in 2005 - the ships are pretty much the same except in theme/color (I liked the Victory's colors better, but I like green). Had more fun on the Triumph but that was because of the group of people that we met - I think that you can pick either but I would pick the Eastern first. I like the Eastern ports much better and you don't have the hurricane damage. I would do an Eastern this year and next year go for the Western when some time has gone by to fix some of the damage (if they have more this next hurricane season). We're doing the Southern on the Legend in two weeks! Really looking forward to it, and we did splurge compared to what we paid for the other two.

Pick which one you want and have a great time.

... but the reviews are very up and down.

I wouldn't put any credence in the nagative reviews. Let's put it in perspective:

About 150,000 people cruise the Victory a year... and only 30 or 40 people post their reviews. I would trust the views of the 150,000 people that put their money where their mouth is... and keep coming back.

The folks who post negative reviews are a bit off the edge, in my opinion. They are not easily pleased it appears, and generally look at life through a half empty glass... never full.

It appears that anything that goes wrong on their cruise is someone elses fault. I had tablemates on my last cruise like this... good ridence to them.:rolleyes: 4

With all that said, I decided on the Victory over the Triumph because it is one year older, and I liked the theme better. There are really two silly reasons, I know, but that is how I decided.

Really, you should not read the reviews other than to get content on the ships layout,and other helpfull tips. Ignore the negative crap!

Well now I've decided the Triumph for sure!!!! I'm not a fan of green LOL.

I'm going to do the eastern route thanks to all your comments.

DD will be 11 and will love to see all the stores and spend some time on the beaches too. She still has not had the chance to swim in an ocean, she's really looking forward to that!

I'm going to phone my TA this week and just do it!! I'll look at this year for sure, can't wait till next year.

I picked carnival because of the water slides that DD will love, I've so got my fingers crossed that the slide will be open the week we go. If they are not we'll deal with it, but really hoping they are. Are the slides or the pools open while we're in port?

Thank you all very much for helping me decide, I was getting tired of sitting on the fence and doing nothing.

I do take reviews with a grain of salt, I wrote a horrible one on the VOS. If I had not been travelling with an ill Mom and a 7 year old asperger/tourette's/heart defect child and if the cabin steward had been better and if the waitress had had a clue, I'm sure it would have all been very different. As it was, the combination of things that just kept going wrong got a bit too much. A cruise was probably not the best vacation for us at the time{rolls eyes}, but I will always treasure the times with my Mom on the balcony. If it had not been for some friends I had met on CC prior to going I do believe I might have gone insane that trip. They helped with my DD and my Mom and also gave me a shoulder to cry on when things got too bad. The VOS is a great ship, it was just the combination of things on that trip that caused problems for me. I'm a bit older, wiser(I hope), and better able to roll with the punches this time around. Most off all I won't be travelling with my Mom and worrying about her 24/7. LOL

I can't wait to book our trip, thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply!

Archived