Voyager Baltic Cruise - Tendered Ports

freddiebud

I was hoping someone can tell me which of the following, if any, are tendered ports and the water conditions: Visby, Tallinn. My MIL has serious sea sickness, so I just want to prepare. You know, is it like off of Grand Caymans bumpy?

Thanks.

Tallinn was a tendered port when I was there on the Navigator in 2001. I have a sea sick problem, though not serious, and I don't remember any problem. You never forget when you are seasick! As I remember, they had shuttles from the tender pier into town.

Haven't been to Visby but it is my impression it is a tender port. We did 11 days on the Voyager in '74. All of our ports (Visby wasn't one of them) were dock stops including Tallin. Tallin has considerable dock capacity. So it is likely you will be docked there. Patrick

Visby is a tender port. The day I was there the weather was beautiful so no problems with the ride in. And only a short ride. Can't comment if it's a bad weather day. You will like Visby. It is a charming city to visit.

Just to add a note about Helsinki. I guess the channel is very narrow there and if there are rough seas in the morning, it can be tough for the captain to steer through the channel. We got in a little bit late and the captain warned us over the speakers that since it was rough that morning, he was going to have to "try" to get us in. He actually had to go in backwards. But we made it. Apparently the day before, some bigger ships didn't get in. And I know of friends who missed that port on a RCCL cruise. If it is calm, no problems.

It ended up pouring all day at that port. The rest of the trip was sunny and warm!

Ginny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Freddie .. I was just surfin' around and I don't know if you have been on your cruise or not but I took the Radisson Diamond a few years ago on the Baltic cruise. We were unable to do Visby because of the very high seas but had no trouble at any of the other ports. It is truly a wonderful cruise and experience. Try meclizine 25 mg three times a day for your honey. I get very motion sick all the time and that stuff is a godsend. Also..we were on this trip in July or August and it was 104 (yes 104) degrees in St. Petersburg and A/C is unheard of (or was back then). I also used to live in Scottsdale in the late 80's early 90's. What drastic changes since then ! Have fun :)

No one has mentioned St. Petersburg. Yes, you are docked, but you are docked at the commercial port which is outside the city, and difficult to do anything but the RSSC excursions. Now that they have 'shopping' tours you can do some investigating on your own, but you cannot get off the ship and into town at will. As I understand, if the weather and the tides are PERFECT, the captain will try to traverse the river, but overall the Voyager is too big to do that as the norm.

Helsinki is great, you disembark and walk towards town and there is a huge open air market that has some wonderful, locally made items. My big weakness is the lady who owns a sheep farm and sheers and spins her own yarn and sells it there.

Have fun, I will be on the Navigator this year. I adore the Baltic, this will be my 3rd cruise there is 5 years!:)

Archived