Sept Europe cruise - what to bring

BarbSW

Hi, we are going on Carnival Liberty's Europe cruise in mid-Sept. Was

wondering from past cruisers what type of clothes to bring. I don't think

it will be that hot??? Any suggestions. Also, for daytime shore excursions, can anyone recommend clothes that don't look too "American"?

Thanks for all suggestions:)

Depends on where in Europe you're going.

Southern Europe - the Meditteranean could be hot in Sept.

Northern Europe - the Baltics could be chilly in Sept.

But no matter where you go, if you don't want to look one of the species "Americana Tourista", don't wear white sneakers, a fanny pack and shorts.

I read some posts here from a person that did Carnival Liberty last summer. One thing she said is people dress up MUCH more then the usual Carnival cruises. Men wore tuxes on formal nights and she did not see any jeans at all.

So plan to dress up nicer then the caribbean cruises. If you do a search I am sure you can find that woman's posts.

Our cruise that did the Med and Greek Isles leaving Venice on 9/11 was perfect weather in the mid-70s and low 80s. One thing to remember--if you are touring cathedrals and churches, knees and shoulders should be covered out of respect. My husband had to sit and wait outside the Vatican because we forgot and packed all his long pants prior to disembarkation in Rome.

European women don't wear shorts - at least not in the cities. Some young ones (20's) wear capris.

We were in the Med last October, the weather was great - low 70's every day. I wore a Tilley (Cndn travel company) skirt which has great pockets for most of the touring around and was really comfortable.

Also, for daytime shore excursions, can anyone recommend clothes that don't look too "American"?

Thanks for all suggestions:)

Just to clarify, are you saying you don't want the clothes to look too American OR you wearing them would indicate that your American?:confused:

On not wanting to look too American, I guess I meant that I want to at least look a little fashionable and not the typical tourist.

What shoes do you wear with skirts that are comforable if you are doing

a lot of walking on maybe not too even terrain? I think we are doing the

Monseratt tour and Drubovnic, Cannes, various ports in Italy.

Thanks.

On not wanting to look too American, I guess I meant that I want to at least look a little fashionable and not the typical tourist.

What shoes do you wear with skirts that are comforable if you are doing

a lot of walking on maybe not too even terrain? I think we are doing the

Monseratt tour and Drubovnic, Cannes, various ports in Italy.

Thanks.

There are more flats being shown for this speing than ever before. Depending on what's comfortable for you, you have tons of choices.

So often I read here about how the women on this board have such problem feet and can only wear certain brands, so I'm hesitant to recommend much.

For me, a pair of leather flats that are soft and "broken in" are just perfect. Depending on weather and my outfit, I would wear either loafers or sandals. I'm not a daytime skirt wearer and realize that loafers wouldn't look well with a skirt. There are ton's of ballet-style flats out there for this season that would look fashionable and be very comfortable for walking around all day. A pair with a rubber sole I'm sure would be great.

I don't like the tourist-walking shoes like Teva's, Birkin Stocks, Mephisto's or Crocs. I find them too unfeminine for my personal style. Though I never sacrifice comfort, I want both fashion and comfort and as I said, I don't have any foot problems to deal with that would preclude me from getting both in a regular, well made, flat shoe.

Brands that you might look at are Donald Pliner, Stuart Weitzman, Cole Haan, Aerosoles.

Jane

I'm English - is that European too?

Many women here do wear shorts - some wear capri trousers (pants are what men wear under their trousers - men's nickers!!). Skirts seem to be more popular here than in the US too.

Many women wear sandals or soft trainers for walking. There are loads of soft shoes suitable for walking available in the shops.

My experience is that people do dress up on cruises here - we've done 2 mediterranean cruises (with P&O who are Princess's UK sister company) and both times almost all the men wore DJs (Dinner Jackets or Tuxedos) on formal nights and suits or jackets on informal nights. Only on casual nights did we see shirts without ties.

Archived