Helicopter excursion

chuckles60

There are several posts here on this forum about that, but I liked Northstarr Trekking's offerings as they provided more time on the glacier itself.  Others offer options for dog-sledding (not of interest to me, but others like it) on the glacier OR two different landing sites (i.e. take off land on glacier, walk around, take off again and land at a second site).  It was very cool (no pun intended) being on the glacier itself, but I have to admit seeing it from the air was pretty awesome.  The juxtaposition of the greenery, mountains, and ice is impressive.

We just did the "Pilots choice" through HAL on 6/24 in Juneau. They were through Temsco and our Pilot Travis took us to Gilkey glacier, and up onto the Juneau icefield where we could ge the Devil's Paw.

It is a once in a lifetime experience, do it.

100_1543.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

Years ago, I did the research on what Princess was offering on our cruises, and found that the excursion price was significantly tied to the number of minutes of helicopter flying that was built into the tour, unless the tour had some significant other component to it. As such, I think you can just shop for the tour that has what you want in it and enjoy.

If it were up to me, the "Pilot's Choice" tour sounds best to my ears, as it has two glacier stops and hence perhaps the pilot is also the guide (not certain though).

I am going to book the helicopter glacier landing with airboat tour of Taki glacier. It’s expensive but you get a glacier landing plus a small boat really close to the glacier. It’s worth considering and checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor either under Airboat Alaska or Coastal Helicopters (they are in partnership to run this).

1 hour ago, Amber86 said:

I am going to book the helicopter glacier landing with airboat tour of Taki glacier. It’s expensive but you get a glacier landing plus a small boat really close to the glacier. It’s worth considering and checking out the reviews on TripAdvisor either under Airboat Alaska or Coastal Helicopters (they are in partnership to run this).

Correction to the above they are now partnered with North Star.