Buying items on the ship

BADBUOY

They have 'sales' all during the cruise - with tables outside the giftshop, t-shirts, gold chains-by-the-inch, watches, etc.

Toward the end of the cruise, they sometimes put other items on sale, like boxes of candy, rum cakes, and liquor.It varies.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

If you see something you want in the begoining of the week--grab it up because it may not be there at the end. Carnival usually sells tshirts 2 for 20 at the end of the week.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

I agree with Serene, grab what you like early in the cruise. . . it may not be there later!! If your wife wants any make-up make sure to purchase it early because it goes quick!

Have fun icon_smile.gif

Nikki

(O.A.T.C. & Proud of it!)

<marquee direction=right width=45%>Mariner of the Seas 09-19-04!</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;17;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Miracle 02-13-05!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;2;11;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

royalsmallwide.gif

Triumph 09/08/01, Holiday 04/17/02, Inspiration 01/19/03, Triumph 05/10/03, Ecstacy 09/15/03, Conquest CONQUESTADORS!! 01/11/04

new_14.gif Check out my pictures!

http://community.webshots.com/user/nikkifer

Me too

Pay special attention to the "deals" on watches, inches of gold chain, and other jewelry items. Often you can get them in port for a better price.

Plus, don't be swayed by the ship's 100% Unconditional Guarantee, we're still waiting, more than a year now, for them to come through on a ring that lost a Tanzanite stone, my one and only jewelry purchase on a cruise.

Also, while those booze prices can sure look attractive when you first get on board, your first port of call can reveal better prices and you stand a pretty good chance of being able to smuggle it into your cabin from ashore. When you buy it in the ship's store they take it away and return it to you on the last night of the cruise.

Cigarettes, though, are usually a good deal, even compared to shore prices. I have no need for them now but when I did I was keenly aware of the current prices.

The above advice to do your shopping early is awesome. We go the first night and buy any Carnival logo merchandise we want so we get the best selection.

I gotta tell you though, after that first big gift shop purchase that fulfills our needs, any other shopping on board, to me, is just a way to kill time.

THE shopping is in the ports.

In Jamaica we bought a really cool, hand carved parrot for like $8 that is one of the best souveniers we've picked up. We watched the guy make them out of a piece of wood. There's a story that goes along with it.

You'll find your stories too

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Chris: how did you get to be a blue ribbon cruiser?? (under your name states that fact)

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

thanks bird- i never noticed that on anyones. I better get cracing so I can have a ribbon also.

Going NOWHERE

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

NikkiFer...Did you say make-up sells out fast?! Is it just me or is it weird that make-up sells out on a cruise ship?! I know there are some pretty good discounts on alcohol & ciggarettes but I've never heard of getting make-up cheaper on a cruise! I hope this is true. I would love to get a discount on my $35/bottle Prescriptives foundation! (Don't tell DH I spend that much on make-up though!) He would not be amused icon_eek.gif

Serene56,

I noticed last night that you're almost there!

Does anyone know what kinds (brands) of makeup are on the ships? Just curious..

My mother told me today that there is just about anything you would want to buy on the ships. Is that true?

She's been on the Jubilee and the Holiday - until next month!

Sensation 5/15/2004

They usually offer Clinique, Lacome, Este Lauder among others. They have a limited supply, so purchase early!

Nikki

(O.A.T.C. & Proud of it!)

<marquee direction=right width=45%>Mariner of the Seas 09-19-04!</marquee>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;9;17;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Miracle 02-13-05!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;2;11;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

royalsmallwide.gif

Triumph 09/08/01, Holiday 04/17/02, Inspiration 01/19/03, Triumph 05/10/03, Ecstacy 09/15/03, Conquest CONQUESTADORS!! 01/11/04

new_14.gif Check out my pictures!

http://community.webshots.com/user/nikkifer

The only things we have ever bought on a ship were items with the ship's or cruiseline's logo: shot glasses, beer mugs, beach towels, ship models, inflatable ships - all the essentials that you couldn't live without. icon_rolleyes.gif

JV

• 2 months later...

BadBuoy...just returned from Carnival Spirit last week. One of the things we found on the last day aboard was a sale on verrrrrry nice Carnival-logo polo shirts and t-shirts and also on zip-neck "Alaska" sweatshirts....items we did NOT see during the rest of the cruise (they saved these for the last day and put them on half-price, supposedly). ($19 sale on the polos, $10 on the t-shirts, $33 on the sweatshirt).

I found liquor prices on the cruise pretty good esp when they offer 2 for specials. I questioned the sales clerk regarding duty on liquor over your limit. She replied just fill out your duty card with the amt you purchased and drop it in the box. There are 2000 people getting off the ship in an hour and they don't even look at the cards. But if they do what is the duty I would owe on a liter of liquor? Anyone know.

Plus, don't be swayed by the ship's 100% Unconditional Guarantee, we're still waiting, more than a year now, for them to come through on a ring that lost a Tanzanite stone, my one and only jewelry purchase on a cruise.

Same here, I bought a Beautiful Fringed Shawl for $10.00, I looked at lots of the colors, unfolded and inspected them, tried them on walked around with it refolded them but them back picked them up again, til I decided on a Black one.

Picked up the black one and went to the counter and paid for it, took it to my cabin and just put it in my suit case without removing it from the bag.

Got home put it in my draw, a few weeks after the cruise got it out to take to work for something on my arms when they have the air conditioner to high and you just need something for your arms to be warm.

It was dry rotted. I guess where it had been folded up for so long that the one of the places it was folded was riped a little, it did not take much to rip it alot. I called carnival they gave me a number to call of the place they get their merchindise from. They told me that I could only get a refund and I would have to send it to them at my expense and then they would send me a refund.

It was not worth it to me to send it back, so I just put it in a draw. To bad to cause I really like it.

So just be careful.

Judi Hensley

It was $94 on the Glory last week and it is $170 in the USA. I knew that it was more than the duty free price they had. The watches are advertised a certain percentage off regular price. They do have a watch sale duirng the week, but they were the same price at the sale. Citizen watches were 40% of retail.

I don't believe it is actually that expensive. Especially not enough for them to pull you out for with 2000 ppl getting off ship. I know when I bring liquor from Canada to Michigan I got charged about 2.50 per liter. I guess it would mainly depend on what Florida's taxes are on liquour, but I can't see it being much more than that.

In Cozumel I picked up a liter of Cointreau for $15, which is around $30 for a fifth in Michigan. I doubt FL tax is $15, so I wouldn't really worry about the limit unless of course you have to leave for an early flight and don't want to mess with the hassle of customs.

This is the address for the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (2004):

http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/tariff_chapters_current/0410C22.pdf

From what our crusie shopping person said, it shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars per liter. I couldn't find the desk at the terminal in New Orleans for people that carried back more than their duty-free limit on alcohol.

On our first cruise 5 years ago on the Celebration, I bought a $350 Seiko watch for $70 that I still wear today. However, on later cruises, I did not see such good buys on watches and have not seen any Seikos at all. Also, the T-shirt sale on the last day is a special purchse T-shirt. I have seen the same T-shirts on several cruises. They tend to be more generic Carribbean. They are not the T-shirts in the gift shop that have the ship's name on them. However, I will add that they are a good quality and the ones I have had for several years still look good.

Archived