Roll Call Amadeus Symphony Danube 4/27 -5/7/06 Prague to Budapest

richardgail

My DH and I are going on Symphony in May. We are doing the three days in Prague and I think we tranfer to the ship on May 14. I would love to hear about your trip when you get home. You can email me at Bunkiew@yahoo.com.

Thanks,

Bunkiew

I will certainly let you know about our cruise. While we have been on a number of ocean cruises, this will be our first river cruise. From looking at river cruise lines' brochures, the scenery should be spectacular! If you are at the Prague Hilton, I have research I can give you. We thought we'd be at the Hilton, but it turns out we are at the Renaissance. Let me know if you are at the Hilton. I have done extensive research on Prague & the Symphony, so I will copy & paste my information gathered from this message board & others:

Note--I just previewed this & the formatting did not copy over very good. Perhaps you can copy this to a WORD doc & straighten out the lines.

Check if can pay ship tips with credit card. Need Euros for tour directors.

Prague is 6 hours ahead of us.

PRAGUE SHUTTLE SERVICE from AIRPORT TO HOTEL PRICE: 650 czk

TAKE TRAVEL INSURANCE PAPER WORK IN CARRY-ON.

EUROS NOT WIDELY ACCEPTED IN PRAGUE.

Get 3 day underground & bus pass at the airport.

Water: Perliva means "with bubbles" and neperliva or nesumiva is "without bubbles".

Metro 3 day pass, 220 Kc Sign the back of the 3 day pass. Make sure you validate your ticket as you enter the metro ~ we saw people fined and being a tourist was clearly not an accepteble excuse! Big fines! Make sure you validate your pass/ticket straight away by punching the time and date onto them using the little machine things on the way to the platforms. If you don't have a ticket you're expected to pay a £20 on the spot fine - transport is cheap, its not worth the risk being caught out! To use a public transport ticket for the first time, stick it in the yellow box when you board buses or trolleys, or at the metro turnstile. This stamps a date and time on it. Then use it freely on any form of transportation until it expires. (The machine will spit it back if it's no good). That to make ticket valid you should punch it in the special automat. In the metro station the automats stay on the platform or just near of entrance; in busses and trams automat attach to handrails. The metro sign MUSTEK metro station is Letter M with an upside down triangle. The metro signs are not always easy to spot. There are automatic ticket machines. Machine tickets vary in design and color, but are valid on all forms of transportation.

The restaurant under the Charles Bridge (part of the La Kampa group)~ as you cross from the old town it is on the opposite bank on the right hand side ~ is highly recommended. Good food in a lovely setting.

From AAA: ELECTRICITY The Czech Republic has a 220-volt power supply. Electrical sockets take plugs with two round pins; American appliances will need a plug adapter, and will require a transformer if they do not have a dual-voltage facility.

In the Castle District, as you walk down from the Strahov Monastery, take the gently sloping walkway near the terrace cafe (if you didn't come up this way). You'll be greeted with several spectacular vistas of the city and the bridges. The path curves around a beautiful park as well.

The cafes and restaurants are dearer on the main squares, so check the menu before sitting down. There's a good restaurant just on the other side of the Charles Bridge on the right hand side - you can see the white 'sail' canopies by the river. Book in advance to get a terrace seat. It's a Kampa group restaurant.

Prague itself is lovely! We stayed for four nights and found lots to do. When there haggle as much as you can with the taxi drivers! If there price is to high, don't back down! As you'l find another taxi easy enough who'll except the price!

By the way, if you want a great dining experience with the perfect view, hit U Slatne Zudne...or for more casual fare, try the rooftop deck on top of the U Prince Hotel across from the astrological clock.

Even in February, we were toasty warm under the ample heatlamps, while sipping hot wine and staring across the square.

If you want a great place to eat dinner, try U Prince Hotel. Take the elevator to 4th floor and walk up to the roof. The view is unbelievable from here. See Charles Bridge, Prague Castle and the whole square. The view is worth the price(which happens to be reasonable)

The Town Hall tower has an elevator that takes you to the top (not mentioned by any tour guide. You enter the Town Hall through the Tourist Information office). The views of Prague from the top are breathtaking!

We've just returned from a trip to Vienna, Budapest, and Prague and we spent four full days in Prague. I found it to be enough time, mainly because basically everything you want to see is relatively close together. We did spend full days exploring though! You need to allocate one day for the Prague Castle complex, one day for old town/Jewish Quarter, and one day for Visehrad, which I think is worth a visit. Don't miss the Mala Strana near the Prague Castle. On the fourth day, we actually went out of town to Kutna Hora, where we really enjoyed the ossuary - unusual site.

• Make use of your hotel safe (try and avoid the room safes). Put your passport here. You are expected to carry your passport/ID with you at all times if you are driving. You do not need it if you are walking. Try to keep one item of identification with you.

The Czech Korun is a closed currency i.e. you cannot change it outside CZ – Banks open on Sunday? Ask Chase if I can return unused Cz money.

The Euro

Since May 1st 2004 the Czech Republic has been a member of the European Union. It is not however a member of the Euro Zone and as such it is not required to use the Euro as its main currency for at least another 5 years. Currently there are a few places that take the Euro but these are limited to towns close to the German and Austrian borders. In Prague itself if a restaurant etc accepts the Euro it will state that your change will be in Euros if available. Others will state immediately that change is in Czech Korun. On my last visit to Cesky Krumlov, to pay in Euros was actually cheaper than to pay in Korun and you'll also find this in the Vietnamese markets on the border. It's not always cheaper in Euros. If you bought a 15 day motorway sticker at the border it should cost 200kc but if you paid in Euros it would cost the equivalent of 260kc. If a shop accepts Euros I would ask what the exchange rate is before paying as it's normally a pretty bad rate i.e. Prague airport shops accept Euros but change is in Korun.

The 20kc note is being phased out as the 20kc coin is more widely used.

At current exchange rates the 50kc note is worth just over one pound but, many people (me included) still find it easier to calculate at 50 to the pound and take a bit off. In dollars it works out to about 1.75.

The 100kc note is possibly the most popular in the Czech Republic. Small enough to pay for a coffee yet big enough to deal with things like lunch.

The 200kc has become more widely used following the devaluation of the Korun in 1997. I would expect to use this note for lunch and get about 80kc back in change.

The 500kc note is equivalent almost to the British ten pound note but, you can get a lot more for it. I wouldn't try to pay for a coffee with it.

From AAA: The Czech Republic's currency is the Koruna česká (Kč) - or Czech crown - which is divided into 100 haléřů (h) - or hellers - although you won't find many of the latter around. The denominations of bills are 20, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1,000, 2,000 and 5,000. There are coins of 10, 20 and 50h and 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50Kč. You can exchange dollars or traveler's checks (cestovní šek) at a bank (banka), exchange office (směnárna), post office (pošta) or hotel; you will need ID. It is an offense to change money through black-market money dealers; in any case, they rarely offer an attractive rate.

Exchange rate at press time: $1 = 26Kč

Credit Cards

Since 1996 the number of shops accepting credit cards has gone up to the point where it is now less likely for a shop NOT to accept them.

Description of your suitcase in the event it is lost. Include size, colour, make and/or identifying marks. Take a picture of suitcases & print it out & put in carry-on. Sheet of paper containing hotel address and duration of stay plus home address and placed in each piece of luggage. Use business address, not home address.

Those searching for fresh air do have some options, however. Most of the fast-food chains are nonsmoking. There are more and more nonsmoking zones in restaurants

Just returned from Prague. There are some incredibly inexpensive and good restaurants just as you enter the old town from Wenceslazs(sp?) Square. You can get a falafel sandwich or a chicken shwarma sandwich with a drink for about 100CK, or about $4.00.

One thing to really watch out for when visiting Prague is pickpockets and thieves. We encountered pickpocket on the first day before we arrived at the hotel. It took place in the underground and happened all so quickly. Luckily, we were able to get help from the manager at Hilton. He stayed with us for over an hour until we have cancelled all the credit cards and filed a police report.

We've been in Prague for two days and we've been robbed twice. First I had my wallet lifted right out of my purse at St Vitus Cathedral on Sunday. My purse was right next to me with my arm covering it, but of course I was jostled in a crowd...and there it went. On Monday my husband fell for the oldest Prague scam in the book -- the plainclothes "cop" who demands to see identity and then helps himself to whatever cash is in your wallet.

You will look like a tourist wherever you go as you view the attractions and take photos, so you have to take the precautions required to protect whatever valuables you feel you must have with you.

Be knowledgeable and have a plan for the day. Carry the day's cash needs separately from the cards and ID info in your moneybelt. If you know in some detail where you want to go, how to get there, and what you want to see before you leave your hotel room, you won't have to keep pulling out maps and credit cards all day and looking like a vulnerable tourist.

I was also robbed in Prague several years ago. Someone just stepped into our room and lifted my purse off the rack. I was in another room at the time and didn't even hear them. However, I found that I had to take responsibility for not having locked the door (my Husband had gone down to carry another bag to the room). We had been warned but were just not careful enough.

I step on the foot of anyone who gets too up-close and personal. It is easier to say, "Sorry" than to replace a credit card.. You need to walk with confidence and a sense of purpose. Being very alert in crowds is imperative as is looking as if you know what direction you are going even if you don't

We spent 10 days in Prague in September. I read everything I could get my hands on, including 6 guidebooks. I was scared of the reports of crime against tourists. However, we took every precaution and never let our guard down. We never took a taxi. We avoided the most tourist-frequented trams. We were careful with the bill in restaurants. We left no valuables in our hotel room,only in the safe. My regret is not taking a camera for fear of being attacked or looking like a tourist. There were hundreds with cameras on the Karol Most (Charles Bridge). We always prepare for our day's acrivities before leaving our hotel so we do not have to open a map. We did not speak on public transport so as not to stand out. We watch what the natives do and do the same. We carried secure waist bags under our pants so our wallets were not exposed.

We were followed by gypsies in Prague for a full week!

As we boarded the train from Cascais to Lisbon a hand reached over my husband's shoulder and the thief removed his wallet from his buttoned down pocket. My husband shouted, the thief denied he was responsible and got off the train fast. We found the wallet on the floor his cohort hadn't managed to pick it up.. We were told by locals that this was a regular occurence.

A note on Praguers and English speaking, which I know has been discussed on this board. Our experience was interesting. I was amazed at the number of people in Prague who speak absolutely perfect English. I had been prepared for language issues and so had tried to learn some basic Czech before we left--very difficult, and I wasn't too successful. We found that only the people that we needed for help did NOT speak English--the police for example. We did go to the police to report the second robbery and had to wait hours for the English translator. The phony police officer who accosted my husband spoke English beautifully of course. In the train station we could not get anyone who worked there to tell us how to find our train. Luckily two young women, again speaking perfect English, offered to help. Waiters speak English, until you tell them that you want tap water, not bottled water. Then they suddenly don't seem to understand you. When they don't receive a tip, the knowledge of English comes back quickly. In our hotel, the entire staff spoke fluent English and they could not have been nicer and more concerned for us.

Prague has been a particular problem for years. Until tourists avoid it, the authorities there will not provide adequate safeguards. On my first trip to Prague, I witnessed two pickpocketings and one subway mugging on the first day --I left the next. On my second trip to Prague, nothing had improved -- I never let my guard down, but never relaxed enough to enjoy myself. Again, I left the next day. I have not returned, even though I usually vacation in Europe twice a year

I keep my credit cards and most of my cash rubberbanded together in my bra.

My friend and I experienced almost exactly the same thing in Prague in October. We were near the Charles Bridge when she was jostled by two gypsy women. She checked her purse immediately and, sure enough, it had been opened. She lucked out. They got her glasses case instead of her wallet (which was also in her purse.)

Last year's "fake policemen" scam has returned with a variation. It now appears that you will be approached by somebody wanting to change some money in order to "get back to their hotel". You are then approached by two "plain clothes policemen" (who speak some English) who ask to search you, your bag and your wallet. The Czech police have no time or money to spend sending plain clothes police on the trail of money changers. These are not policemen; no one can ask to search you on the street.

A bag is still the safest method of keeping your valuables so long as you keep it closed and protected. I have seen too many people wandering around trying to explain to a policeman who cares little and who does not speak English that they have been the victim of another pickpocket. You'll have noticed that the chances of having something stolen from your "pocket" is actually quite small. The pickpockets know when you are most vulnerable and it's not when you are walking along with your wallet safely buttoned up in your back pocket. It's when you take it out to pay for something and put it back unsecured. Before you have left the shop, your wallet would have left your trousers. Most people think that they are observed or "cased" as they move around but, really most are the victim of opportunity. If you see somebody who appears to present an opportunity, tell them. Some of the thieves are skilful but, most are ordinary people looking for easy money. Anyone drinking a coffee in Malostranske opposite the tram stop cannot fail to see the numerous half-hearted and clumsy attempts to try and "pick" somebody getting on the tram. Most "pickers" are easy to spot not just by their demeanour but also, most will have a jacket or something draped over their arm (to provide cover for the pick).

We found that we had to be careful with money transactions. My husband ordered cafe au lait at 18 koronas, and was charged for capucchino at 50; and this was very common. Just add up your purchases or orders in your head before the bill comes so you know about what to expect.

shop Wencelas Square. Old Town Square is the most interesting area of the city and it's not far from Wenceslas Square.

Touristy places: Old Town Square, Jewish Town, Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, Wenceslas Square

Quiet places: Vrtbovska Garden, Loreta Church, Strahov Monastery, National Museum, National Theatre, Municipal House, Petrin Hill, Bertramka (Mozart)..

Prazský hrad (Prague Castle)

From its narrow hilltop, the monumental castle complex has witnessed the changing fortunes of the city for more than 1,000 years.

Chrám svatého Víta (St. Vitus Cathedral)

The castle's physical and spiritual core, took from 1344 to 1929 to build, so you can trace in its lines architectural styles from high Gothic to Art Nouveau. The eastern end, mostly the work of Peter Parler, builder of the Charles Bridge, is a triumph of Bohemian Gothic. "Good King" Wenceslas (in reality a mere prince, later canonized) has his own chapel in the south transept, dimly lit and decorated with fine medieval wall paintings. Four silver angels hover over the tomb of St. John of Nepomuk, whose statue adorns many a Central European bridge, including the Charles Bridge. Note the fine 17th-century carved wooden panels on either side of the chancel. The left-hand panel shows a view of the castle and town in November 1620 as the defeated Czech Protestants flee into exile. The three easternmost chapels house tombs of Czech princes and kings of the 11th to the 13th centuries, while Charles IV and Rudolf II lie in the crypt, the former in a bizarre modern sarcophagus.

Zlatá ulicka (Golden Lane)

Behind St. Vitus's, don't miss the miniature houses of Golden Lane. Its name, and the apocryphal tale of how Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II used to lock up alchemists here until they transmuted lead into gold, may come from the gold-beaters who once lived here.

Vladislav Hall

Knightly tournaments often accompanied coronation ceremonies in the Vladislavský sál (Royal Palace), next to the cathedral, hence the broad Riders' Staircase leading up to the grandiose (Vladislav Hall), with its splendid late-Gothic vaulting and Renaissance windows. Oldest of all the castle's buildings, though much restored, is the complex of Bazilika svatého Jirí (St. George's Basilica and Convent). The basilica's cool Romanesque lines hide behind a glowing salmon-color Baroque facade. The ex-convent houses a superb collection of Bohemian art from medieval religious sculptures to Baroque paintings. The castle ramparts afford glorious vistas of Prague's fabled hundred spires rising above the rooftops. Main castle ticket office in Second Courtyard, Daily 9-5 (9-4 in winter); castle gardens, Apr.-Oct.. Tickets valid 3 days; admits visitors to cathedral, Royal Palace, and St. George's Basilica (but not convent gallery) and Powder Tower.

Starý zidovský hrbitov (Old Jewish Cemetery)

The crowded cemetery is part of Josefov, the former Jewish quarter. Here, ancient tombstones lean into one another; below them, piled layer upon layer, are thousands of graves. Many gravestones--they date from the mid-14th to the late 17th centuries--are carved with symbols indicating the name, profession, and attributes of the deceased. If you visit the tomb of the 16th-century scholar Rabbi Löw, you may see scraps of paper covered with prayers or requests stuffed into the cracks. In legend the rabbi protected Prague's Jews with the help of a golem, or artificial man; today he still receives appeals for assistance. Entrance at Pinkas Synagogue, Siroká 3

Zidovské muzeum (Jewish Museum)

The rich exhibits in the Josefov's Pinkas Synagogue, Maisel Synagogue, Klaus Synagogue, and Ceremonial Hall, along with the Old Jewish Cemetery, make up the museum. Jews, forced to fulfill Adolf Hitler's plan to document the lives of the people he was trying to exterminate, gathered the collections. They include ceremonial objects, textiles, and displays covering the history of Bohemia's and Moravia's Jews. The interior of the Pinkas Synagogue is especially poignant, as it is painted with the names of 77,297 Jewish Czechs killed during World War II. Communists closed the building and allowed it to decay; now, however, the lists have been restored. U starého hrbitova 3a and Siroká 3, Sun.-Fri. 9-6 (9-4 in winter; last tour of cemetery at 3 in winter).

Staronová synagóga (Old-New Synagogue)

A small congregation still attends the little Gothic Old-New Synagogue, one of Europe's oldest surviving houses of Jewish prayer. Men are required to cover their heads upon entering; skull caps can be bought for a small fee at the door. Cervená at Parízská, Sun.-Thurs. 9-5, Fri. 9-2.

Morning tour to Terezin. Visit the former **** concentration camp, see the memorial, cemetery and small fortress.

Afternoon at leisure.

Terezin - In October 1941, the ****s chose Terezin as a Jewish ghetto and detainment center while they organized transports to death camps in the east. With it pre-existing barracks and only 3,700 inhabitants to be evacuated, Terezin was seen as the ideal site for the containment of Jews from throughout Europe. Similar to other ghettos in ****-occupied Europe, the Terezin ghetto was run by a Jewish council that was strangulated by the demands of the S.S. The first chairman of the “Council of Jewish Elders” in Terezin was Jakub Edelstein, who was murdered in Auschwitz in 1944. Eventually Terezin was transformed into what resembled a concentration camp, with segregated-sex barracks and buildings, forced labor, lack of proper food, and rampant disease. In the face of terrible conditions and the constant threat of deportation to the east, the Jews of Terezin consoled themselves with a relatively thriving cultural life. The S.S. generally tolerated these activities. Thus there were frequent concerts, plays, and lectures in Terezin. Some of the art and writing produced in the ghetto would become world-renowned in postwar years. Executions in Terezin began in January 1942. Later, to quell public discontent, public executions were replaced by sentences in the Small Fortess and deportation to death camps. Between July and September 1942, 70,000 Jews died of disease. Eventually, a crematorium would be used to dispose of the bodies. The ashes were thrown into the Ohre River. In response to pressure from Denmark and other countries to permit the Red Cross to view Germany’s treatment of the Jews, the Terezin ghetto was given a face-lift in early 1944. This was accompanied by continuous transport to the east to lessen the overcrowding. On June 23, 1944, three Red Cross officials arrived and were given a tour of various staged scenes, including exquisite cafes and pleasant accommodations, and shown items such as specially printed currency in the ghetto. The Red Cross left Terezin satisfied that no injustices were being committed there. A second visit by the Red Cross, on April 6, 1945, had equal results. In May 1945, Terezin was liberated by the Russian army. There were approximately 30,000 prisoners there when the Russians arrived.

Poets, philosophers, and the Czech-in-the-street have long sung the praises of Praha (Prague), also referred to as the "Golden City of a Hundred Spires." Like Rome, Prague is built on seven hills, which slope gently or tilt precipitously down to the Vltava (Moldau) River. The riverside location, enhanced by a series of graceful bridges, makes a great setting for two of the city's most notable features: its extravagant, fairy-tale architecture and its memorable music. Mozart claimed that no one understood him better than the citizens of Prague, and he was only one of several great masters who lived or lingered here.

It was under Karel IV (Charles IV), during the 14th century, that Prague first became the seat of the Holy Roman Empire--virtually the capital of Western Europe--and acquired its distinctive Gothic imprint. At times you'll need to look quite hard for this medieval inheritance; it's still here, though, under the overlays of graceful Renaissance and exuberant Baroque.

Prague escaped serious wartime damage, but it didn't escape neglect. During the last decade, however, artisans and their workers have restored dozens of the city's historic buildings with care and sensitivity.

Shades of the five medieval towns that combined to form Prague linger in the divisions of its historic districts. On the flat eastern shore of the Vltava River are three areas arranged like nesting boxes: Josefov (the old Jewish Quarter) within Staré Mesto (Old Town) within Nové Mesto (New Town). Malá Strana (the Lesser Quarter) and Hradcany (Castle District) perch along the river's hillier west bank. Spanning the Vltava is Karluv most (the Charles Bridge), which links the Old Town to the Lesser Quarter; everything within the historic center can be reached on foot in a half hour or less from here.

Chrám svatého Mikuláse (Church of St. Nicholas) Designed by the late-17th-century Dietzenhofer architects, father and son, this edifice is widely considered the most beautiful example of the Bohemian Baroque, an architectural style that flowered in Prague after the turbulence of the Counter-Reformation. On clear days you can enjoy great views from the tower. Malostranské nám, Daily 9-4 (9-6 in summer).

Karluv most (Charles Bridge) As you stand on this statue-lined stone bridge, unsurpassed in grace and setting, you see views of Prague that would be familiar to its 14th-century builder Peter Parler and to the artists who started adding the 30 sculptures during the 17th century. Today, nearly all the sculptures on the bridge are fakes--skillful copies of the originals, which have been taken indoors to escape the polluted air. Still, examine the 12th on the left (starting from the Old Town side of the bridge), which depicts St. Luitgarde (Matthias Braun sculpted the original, circa 1710), and the 14th on the left, in which a Turk guards suffering saints (F. M. Brokoff sculpted the original, circa 1714). The eighth on the right side, a bronze of John of Nepomuk, marks the spot where in 1393 King Václav IV's men hurled the saint's tortured corpse into the river. The bridge itself is a gift to Prague from the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV. Between Mostecká ul. on Mala Strana side and Karlova ul. on Old Town side

Malá Strana (Lesser Quarter) One of Prague's most intriguing neighborhoods, the "Little Town" lolls indolently below Prague Castle. Two events, above all, made possible the quarter's aristocratic architectural visage: the fire of 1541 and the expulsions of Czech nobles and townspeople defeated in the Protestant rebellion against the Catholic Hapsburgs in 1620. Each of these catastrophes cleared the way for extensive rebuilding and new construction of palaces and gardens. On Malostranské námestí (Lesser Quarter Square), you'll find the Church of St. Nicholas. Bordered by Prazský hrad, Petrín Hill, Vítezná ul.

Valdstejnská zahrada (Wallenstein Gardens) This is one of the most elegant of the many sumptuous Lesser Quarter gardens. During the 1620s the Hapsburgs' victorious commander, Czech nobleman Albrecht of Wallenstein, demolished a wide swath of existing structures in order to build his oversize palace with its charming walled garden. A covered outdoor stage of late-Renaissance style dominates the western end. Entrance at Letenská 10, May-Sept., daily 9-7. Free.

Betlémská kaple (Bethlehem Chapel) The martyr and national hero Jan Hus thundered his humanitarian teachings from the chapel pulpit during the early 15th century. The structure was reconstructed in the 1950s, but the little door through which Hus came to the pulpit is original, as are some of the inscriptions on the wall. Betlémské nám, Apr.-Sept. daily 9-6; Oct.-Mar. daily 9-5.

Celetná ulice Medieval kings set off along this street on their way to their coronation at Prague Castle. The Royal Route includes this street, passing the Gothic spires of the Týn Church in Old Town Square; it then crosses Charles Bridge and goes up to the castle. As you explore the route, you can study every variety of Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, and Baroque architecture.

Clam-Gallas palác (Clam-Gallas Palace) Squatting on a constricted site in the heart of the Old Town is this pompous Baroque palace, designed by the great Viennese architect J.B. Fischer von Erlach. All the sculptures, including the Titans that struggle to support the two doorways, are the work of one of the great Bohemian Baroque artists, Matthias Braun. Take a peek inside at the superb staircase. Husova 20

Dum U cerné Matky Bozí (House of the Black Madonna) This Cubist building adds a decided jolt to the architectural styles along Celetná ulice. In the second decade of this century, several leading Czech architects boldly applied Cubism's radical reworking of visual space to structures. The Black Madonna, designed by Josef Gocár, is unflinchingly modern yet topped with an almost Baroque tile roof. Celetná ul. (at Ovocný trh), Tues.-Sun. 10-6.

Na Príkope Once part of the moat surrounding the Old Town, this street is now an elegant (in places) pedestrian mall. It leads from the bottom of Wenceslas Square to the Obecní dum (Municipal House), Prague's most lavish Art Nouveau building, which reopened in 1997 after a controversial, two-year refurbishment. A bridge links it to the Prasná brána (Powder Tower), a 19th-century neo-Gothic restoration of the medieval original. Nám. Republiky

Starý zidovský hrbitov (Old Jewish Cemetery) The crowded cemetery is part of Josefov, the former Jewish quarter. Here, ancient tombstones lean into one another; below them, piled layer upon layer, are thousands of graves. Many gravestones--they date from the mid-14th to the late 17th centuries--are carved with symbols indicating the name, profession, and attributes of the deceased. If you visit the tomb of the 16th-century scholar Rabbi Löw, you may see scraps of paper covered with prayers or requests stuffed into the cracks. In legend the rabbi protected Prague's Jews with the help of a golem, or artificial man; today he still receives appeals for assistance. Entrance at Pinkas Synagogue, Siroká 3

Staromestské námestí (Old Town Square) The old commercial center of the Old Town is now a remarkably harmonious hub--architecturally beautiful and relatively car-free and quiet. Looming over the center, the twin towers of Kostel Panny Marie pred Týnem (the Church of the Virgin Mary before Týn) still look forbidding even though their grimy stones have been cleaned and Disneyesque lighting has been installed in the spires. The large Secession-style sculptural group in the square's center commemorates the martyr Jan Hus, whose followers completed the Týn Church during the 15th century. The white Baroque Kostel svatého Mikuláse (Church of St. Nicholas) is tucked into the square's northwest angle. It was built by Kilian Ignatz Dientzenhofer, co-architect also of the Lesser Quarter's church of the same name. Every hour, mobs converge on the famous Clock Tower of the Staromestská radnice (Old Town Hall) as the clock's 15th-century mechanism activates a procession that includes the 12 Apostles. Note the skeleton figure of Death that tolls the bell.

Staronová synagóga (Old-New Synagogue) A small congregation still attends the little Gothic Old-New Synagogue, one of Europe's oldest surviving houses of Jewish prayer. Men are required to cover their heads upon entering; skull caps can be bought for a small fee at the door. Cervená at Parízská, Sun.-Thurs. 9-5, Fri. 9-2.

Václavské námestí (Wenceslas Square) In the Times Square of Prague hundreds of thousands voiced their disgust for the Communist regime in November 1989 at the outset of the "Velvet Revolution." The "square" is actually a broad boulevard that slopes down from the Národní muzeum (National Museum) and the equestrian statue of St. Václav (Wenceslas).

Výstara Franze Kafky (Franz Kafka's birthplace) Since the 1989 revolution, Kafka's popularity has soared, and the works of this German Jewish writer are now widely available in Czech. A small museum in the house displays photos, editions of Kafta's books, and other memorabilia. (Kafka's grave lies in the overgrown New Jewish Cemetery at the Zelivského Metro stop.) U radnice 5, Tues.-Fri. 10-6, Sat. 10-5.

Zidovské muzeum (Jewish Museum) The rich exhibits in the Josefov's Pinkas Synagogue, Maisel Synagogue, Klaus Synagogue, and Ceremonial Hall, along with the Old Jewish Cemetery, make up the museum. Jews, forced to fulfill Adolf Hitler's plan to document the lives of the people he was trying to exterminate, gathered the collections. They include ceremonial objects, textiles, and displays covering the history of Bohemia's and Moravia's Jews. The interior of the Pinkas Synagogue is especially poignant, as it is painted with the names of 77,297 Jewish Czechs killed during World War II. Communists closed the building and allowed it to decay; now, however, the lists have been restored. U starého hrbitova 3a and Siroká 3, Sun.-Fri. 9-6 (9-4 in winter; last tour of cemetery at 3 in winter).

Loreta This Baroque church and shrine are named for the Italian town to which angels supposedly transported the Virgin Mary's house from Nazareth to save it from the infidel. The glory of its fabulous treasury is the monstrance, the Sun of Prague, with its 6,222 diamonds. Arrive on the hour to hear the 27-bell carillon. Loretánské nám. 7, or. Tues.-Sun. 9-noon and 1-4:30.

Prazský hrad (Prague Castle) From its narrow hilltop, the monumental castle complex has witnessed the changing fortunes of the city for more than 1,000 years. The castle's physical and spiritual core, Chrám svatého Víta (St. Vitus Cathedral), took from 1344 to 1929 to build, so you can trace in its lines architectural styles from high Gothic to Art Nouveau. The eastern end, mostly the work of Peter Parler, builder of the Charles Bridge, is a triumph of Bohemian Gothic. "Good King" Wenceslas (in reality a mere prince, later canonized) has his own chapel in the south transept, dimly lit and decorated with fine medieval wall paintings. Four silver angels hover over the tomb of St. John of Nepomuk, whose statue adorns many a Central European bridge, including the Charles Bridge. Note the fine 17th-century carved wooden panels on either side of the chancel. The left-hand panel shows a view of the castle and town in November 1620 as the defeated Czech Protestants flee into exile. The three easternmost chapels house tombs of Czech princes and kings of the 11th to the 13th centuries, while Charles IV and Rudolf II lie in the crypt, the former in a bizarre modern sarcophagus. Behind St. Vitus's, don't miss the miniature houses of Zlatá ulicka (Golden Lane). Its name, and the apocryphal tale of how Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II used to lock up alchemists here until they transmuted lead into gold, may come from the gold-beaters who once lived here. Knightly tournaments often accompanied coronation ceremonies in the Vladislavský sál (Royal Palace), next to the cathedral, hence the broad Riders' Staircase leading up to the grandiose (Vladislav Hall), with its splendid late-Gothic vaulting and Renaissance windows. Oldest of all the castle's buildings, though much restored, is the complex of Bazilika svatého Jirí (St. George's Basilica and Convent). The basilica's cool Romanesque lines hide behind a glowing salmon-color Baroque facade. The ex-convent houses a superb collection of Bohemian art from medieval religious sculptures to Baroque paintings. The castle ramparts afford glorious vistas of Prague's fabled hundred spires rising above the rooftops.

Main castle ticket office in Second Courtyard, Daily 9-5 (9-4 in winter); castle gardens, Apr.-Oct.. Tickets valid 3 days; admits visitors to cathedral, Royal Palace, and St. George's Basilica (but not convent gallery) and Powder Tower.

River Cruise:

The recommended tips have been raised. 3 Euros per person per day for the cruise director and 12 Euros per day for the staff. This was up from 2 and 10 - I had checked before we left on the trip. Internet is a (nobody will use it) 3.5 Euros per minute - off the ship you will pay maybe 5 Euros for a half and hour.

We cruised on the Poetry in July and the stated guideline for gratuities was 2 euros per day per person for the cruise director and 10 euros per day per person for the the crew (they pool their tips and everyone from the top down to the dishwashers benefits!). They tell you they want the gratuities in cash in euros so that's what we did but were a little perturbed that we could have just used a credit card through the cruise director instead of carrying all that cash in euros. You'll find that the service is well worth it...we rounded up all our tips and gave additional amounts to our friendly bartenders and the head of the dining room for extra special service. We also usually tipped our local tour guides 2 or 3 euros at the end of daily tours - they all did an excellent job - depending on the time spent with us. Your other ship expenses ( bar bill, shopping buys on board) can all be settled at the end with a credit card and the cruise director takes a credit card for any optional tours you take. I know you'll have a great time and love the ship. Say hello to Hendryk Jan, the cruise director, for us.

The crew prefers to be tipped in euros - in cash. They do not take credit card tips. They will take US dollars, but since they prefer euros, that's what we did. You do not do any shipboard tipping at all until the last day - they provide envelops for you to put your tips in at that time - one envelope for the crew & one for the cruise director. You should have gotten a booklet "Important Travel Documents" - which explains the tipping.

The desk has a 110 v. outlet. Another review said: HINT: The ship offers standard European 220 volt electrical outlets (two round pins with a circular plug) and the ship does not offer any 220/110 converters. If you plan to use US appliances or battery chargers, be sure to bring an appropriate converter with you. .

Money-- We make it a point to buy a small amount of each currency we will need before we leave the U.S. (about $50 in Hungarian forints, $50 in Czech koruna, and $100 in Euros).

Prague: The Amadeus tour (3-1/2 hours) of Prague departs the Hilton at 9 a.m. and includes walking the entire Hradcany Castle district, the Josefov district, and Stare Mesto (Staromestske nam).

There is also a computer with Internet access simply for the sending of e-mail but nothing else. You cannot log onto your own e-mail address, but rather the ship uses your cabin number to create a unique address for those wanting to send e-mail. There is a charge of $2.50 for each e-mail sent, but receiving e-mail is complimentary. When a message is received it is printed out, placed in an envelope and delivered to your cabin. All in all. It works quite nicely.

We were on the Artistry the sister ship to the Poetry in June. The Salzburg excursion is not to be missed - worth every penny. It was definately a "wow" day. Absolutely beautiful. Our guide was wonderful. Consider having lunch up at the Fortress. The views are gorgeous. The bus route to and from the town travelled through wonderful countryside.

Salzburg celebrates 250 anniversary of Mozart’s birthday with Viva!Mozart. $10

We were only in Bratislava for a few hours & that was all on the guided tour. The only place for us to spend money was at the little tourist booths in the old town square, and they took euros. I don't see any reason to get Slovak crowns unless you skip the tour and go off on your own.

Austria: The WC police were out in force, making sure we paid for the use of the bathrooms.

Prague - Czech Koruna Banknotes: 20, 100

Germany - Euro Banknotes 5,10,20,50,100

Austria - Euro

Slovakia - Slovak Koruna Banknotes 20,50,100

Hungary - Forint Banknotes: 200, 500, 1000

• Make a photocopy of the photo page of your passport and any other pages that contain visas etc. A simple precaution but, ask yourself how you would prove who you are in a foreign country without this info. TIP - I had my passport scanned onto a .jpeg file which I have uploaded to this website so I can access it from anywhere.
  • Make use of your hotel safe (try and avoid the room safes). Put your passport here. You are expected to carry your passport/ID with you at all times if you are driving. You do not need it if you are walking. Try to keep one item of identification with you.
  • Do not put all credit cards in one place. i.e. do not put them all in the safe and do not carry them all on your person.
  • Women should bring a flap-close hand bag if possible. Clips and zips are not recommended.
  • When carrying a bag with a flap-close top, keep the open part against your body. Small backpacks although convenient are an easy target for a razor slit. Backpackers familiar with this type of attack often have a piece of chicken wire in the base of their pack.
  • Avoid carrying a wallet if possible. Instead, split your cash throughout your pockets.
  • Wrap around "Bum Bags" are easy targets for a slit or to be taken completely, invest in a pouch that attaches directly to your belt.
  • Don't change a lot of money in one go. You will find that general prices are quite reasonable or the establishment will accept credit cards. There is no need to carry lots of cash. Use a foreign exchange desk in a bank to change money as they are more private.

Fake Police Scams

The situation will be as follows. You will be walking down a quiet street but, may not necessarily be on your own. It works in one of two ways. 1) You are approached by someone with an open wallet and banknotes in his hand, he may ask if you have "change". As he begins to speak to you, a second person appears who will show you some kind of identification and inform you that he is a police officer. He will ask to see your wallet. While he has your wallet his accomplice will distract you as the "police officer" removes a high value banknote from your wallet. He then thanks you for your time and gives you the wallet back. The "police officer" may then "arrest" the accomplice or simply walk off. Of course, they may simply run if they find the wallet contains a lot of cash.

HOW TO BEAT IT: It generally cannot be beaten by a non Czech speaking person unless you can keep your eyes on the wallet at all times, so it's down to damage limitation. This can be a serious situation and it only happens to tourists. You may be on your own against two people possibly armed with knives. The only deterrent here is not to carry much cash or credit cards or in other words, carry only what you can afford to lose. If you carry a wallet, don't leave all your cash in it. As I understand, they ask only to see the wallet.

From AAA: RESTROOMS Public restrooms (toaleta) are not easy to find, and

you may be charged for toilet tissue. It may be best to use a café or restaurant

facility after buying a drink. Attendants appreciate small change - 2Kč or

thereabouts - as this may be their only wage. Some doors have no lock-bring doorstop.

Department Stores – 5kc or 10kc coin

Tesco - Toilets on stairs side of store. max 5kc. attended, pay before.

Myslbek - 1st Floor, Free (discretionary tip).

Cerna Ruze - Basement, max 5kc, attended, pay after.

Kotva - Main entrance escalators, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and restaurant. Free.

Templova - passage off Celetna. Attended, 5kc pay before.

Malostranske - Opposite tram stop. Attended, pay before.

Restaurace Zofin - Public toilet under the bandstand. Attended, pay after.

Narodni - Le patio shop, downstairs on the right. Free.

McDonalds - The usual stop for most freeloaders hence, bring the doorstop.

Petrin Tower - Basement. 5kc pay after

Food:

Cover charge Be aware that most restaurants make an extra cover charge rendering the meal more expensive than at first anticipated.

The Nut Trick When eating out in Prague expect to pay for everything - few restaurateurs are in the habit of offering a free aperitif or a liqueur. Even the nibbles carry a price tag, as you may discover to your cost when the bill arrives and you are charged more for the nuts than for the appetiser. The best advice is send them back before you order and always say no unless you are a personal friend of the manager!

• Predkrmy - Starters both hot and cold. Voda – water – still - nesumiva
  • Polevky/Polevka - Soup
  • Drubez - Meals based on poultry.
  • Speciality - House recommendations.
  • Hotova Jidla - Ready made meals served quickly.
  • Minutkova Jidla - Available meals but, must be prepared and will result in waiting.
  • Ryby - Fish
  • Salaty - Salads Syr – cheese ZELENINA – VEGETABLES
  • Prilohy - Vegetable/Accompaniments (Chips, Sauces etc)
  • Bezmasa Jidla - Vegetarian or more accurately "without meat"
  • Moucniky - Dessert zmrzlina – ice cream
  • Detsky Menu - Childrens Menu

Denni Menu - Daily fixed lunch menu, maybe two or three courses with drink NOT included

SOUP Hovezi (hovee-ehzi) polevku or bujon. It will be a clear beef soup and may have an addition of noodles (hovezi s nudlem) or small meat balls.

Gulasovy (goolash-oh-vee), thick gulash soup with pieces of ham and sausage, onions and peppers.

Bramborovy (brambor-oh-vee) thick potato soup with green veg and sometimes mushrooms although this is only popular in the winter months.

Borsc (borshk) A left over from Russian times. Similar to goulash soup with heavy use of sausage.

Sunkova rolka se slehanou a krenem - A roll of ham with cream and horseradish sauce.

Tlacenka s otcem a cibuli - Brawn with vinegar and onions.

Smazene Zampinony - Fried mushrooms.

Topinky (se syrem) - Fried garlic bread (with cheese). Knedliky – dumplings Chleb/Houskove – bread Cibule – onion Fazole – beans

MAIN Hovezi Gulas - beef goulash - will automatically be served with sliced bread (houskovy) dumplings. The meat will be garnished with fresh onions and peppers. Maso – meat morska jidla – seafood ryba – fish Sunka – ham Vajicko - egg

Veprove Gulas (vepr-oh-vay) - pork goulash - same as above but with pork meat.

Svickova na smetane - slices of pork - (svichkova-na-smettan-eay) will automatically be served with sliced bread dumplings. The meat will be covered in a gravy and topped of with cranberry jam and cream.

Smazeny kureci rizek - chicken fried in breadcrumbs. Similar to a Wiener Schnitzel. Most often served with a cold potato salad "bramborovy salat" or boiled potatoes "varene brambor".

Smazeny veprove rizek - same as above but, with pork.

Kureci prsa – chicken Kure breasts - can be served with anything but often a dish which can come with "bramboracky" (bramboratchky) which is potato that has been grated and then fried into small patty cakes.

Biftek - beef steak - Meat is generally cooked medium. If you want well done say "propecene" (propetchenay). Normally served with chips "hranolky" and possibly with an egg on the steak "vejce" (vigh-it-seh).

Pfeffersteak - Pepper Steak - Steak cooked to your requirement with peppercorns on the steak or with a side dish containing the sauce or with the sauce already on the steak.

Pecena Kachna - roast duck - (petchenay means roast but, the 'ch' in Kachna has no English equivalent as it is a sound made in the back of the throat. The closest description is the sound made before you spit) served with sliced bread dumplings and "zeli" (zeli looks like sauerkraut but, it is much finer and sweeter).

Smazeny Syr - Cheese fried in breadcrumbs served with a side salad.

Kralik (kraaaleek) - Rabbit, usually roasted and served with zeli (cabbage)

Smes (smee - ess) - possibly you will see "Kureci Smes". Basically, it means that the meat is in small pieces. Literally it means "mixed".

Prsa - Applied to chicken only it means you will get the breast.

Piquant or Dabelsky or Palivy (paa-livy)- The meal or the sauce is spicy or served with chilli's.

SIDES houskove knedliky - bread dumplings bramborove knedliky - potato dumplings ryze - rice hranolky - chips bramborak - fried potato cakes smazene brambor - fried potatoes varene brambor - boiled potatoes zeli - sweet cabbage oblouha – small offer of lettuce, red cabbage, white cabbage, maybe pepper Salads: Michany - Mixed pieces of cucumber, tomato, peppers etc, Sopsky - (shop-ski) Same as above but, with Balkan cheese on the top (strong flavor), Rajcata (rye-chatta) - Tomato salad, just slices of tomato, Okurky - Cucumber Salad

DESSERT Zmrzlinovy Pohar - A glass with fruit and ice cream.

Palacinky (palachingky) - On it's own it is just a pancake but "palacinky s ovocem a zmrzlina" turns it into a pancake filled with fruit and ice cream.

Kolac - (kolaach) Cake.

Jablecny zavin - (yab-bletchnee zaavin) Apple Strudel. To pay the bill you have to ask for it first. When the waiter comes over simply say "za platim" (I will pay). Generally it works like this: the same person who you ask for the bill takes the money or a different person will come to the table to take the money (smaller restaurants only have one person who takes the money). The waiter may say the word "dohromady" (doe-hromar-dee) which means do you want to pay altogether. It is easier to settle one bill but, they will separate the bill if you want. If paying seperately, you need to say the word "zvlast". If the bill comes to 230kc for two, you can give the waiter 250kc and tell him to keep the change. If you feel more comfortable, let him give you the change and you immediately give the tip back to him. Czech people do not leave a tip on the table.

Tentative schedule for Prague:

Thurs. afternoon – Walk to Old Town Square & Town Hall. Also Tyn

Church, & St. Wensaslas Sq. Watch for drug dealers, pick

pockets, etc. Karlova St. runs from Old Town Sq. to Charles

Bridge.

Fri. morning - Amadeus morning tour including Prague Castle etc. (lunch

in the castle district at Pradcanske Nem. or “ADA” at the

Hoffmeister or “Hradcany” at the Savoy.)

Fri. afternoon - Prague Castle (inside 9 – 5pm, 3 day pass $8.00) plus St.

Vitus Cathedral, Vladislov Hall, etc. Also may do Strahov

Monestary (1 –5pm $2.80 ) & views of the city & river.

Walk to the Petrin Tower (50czk) & dinner at Restaurace

Nebozizek or early dinner at bridge “Restaurace Rybarsky

Klub”

Sat. morning – Wallenstein Gardens, walk across Charles Bridge to Straranova

Synagogue. (lunch at Albiostyl Rest. near Republic square or Country

Life, Kampa group restuarent across Charles Bridge-has white sail

canopies)

Sat. afternoon – Technical Museum ? ( czk 70 $3.00, 10 – 6pm) or Josefov

& old Jewish Cemetary area. (Country Life Veggie near Old Town

Square on Melantrichova)

Sun. – to the ship after lunch. Exchange CK money but save some coins for bus restroom break.

Extra lunch possibilities: Radisson SAS at Stepanska 40, UPrince Hotel (rooftop rest. – great view)

Amadeus will have some optional tours to choose from.

Three day tram pass 220czk

Wow!!! Thanks for all the info. I don't know which hotel we will be staying in yet. I am hoping it is the Renaissance because I have heard it is more centrally located to Old Town, etc. I'm sure I will have more questions when I have had time to look at the information you sent. Thanks again.

Bunkiew

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm not on your cruise either. I'm doing the Budapest to Prague leaving June 29. I will be watching for your posts when you return. I am especially interested in what is included in the Budapest tour, so I can plan what to see during the extra day we will have there.

• 3 weeks later...

RichardGail,

Thanks for all the wonderful information. Tons of research on your part.

We are going on the Budapest-Prague trip on the Amadagio at the end of May so we read all of you report with much interest.

Will look forward to your trip report.

JT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for all the information. My wife and I are going on this cruise in September. I haven't found anyone else who is going on our cruise yet. I guess with only 146 passengers I can't ecpect many to find these boards.

I did have a question for you, however. How are you planning to transfer from the Airport to your hotel?. I assume cabs and shuttles are available. We are staying at the Hotel Atlantic in Prague. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Richard,

Thanks so much for all the information. My wife and I are going on this cruise in September. I haven't found anyone else who is going on our cruise yet. I guess with only 146 passengers I can't ecpect many to find these boards.

I did have a question for you, however. How are you planning to transfer from the Airport to your hotel?. I assume cabs and shuttles are available. We are staying at the Hotel Atlantic in Prague. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

We haven't found anyone going on ours either. We leave Wednesday (4/27)!

We are using Prague Shuttle Service which I found highly recommended in some of these boards. I have had a few email conversations with them & they seem competent. Just sent them a confirmation of our arrival time & immediantely got an email back from them. With all the negative info about the taxis in Prague, I feel more confident using this service. Here is their site: http://prague-airport-shuttle.com/

We bought Amadeus' transfer from the boat to the Budapest airport as we wanted to be sure there were no glitches in getting to our very early morning flight.

We will report on the Prague Shuttle Service when we return.

Gail

Hi Gail,

Thank you for the info on Prague shuttles. There is nothing like a "shady" taxi driver to start your tour off on the wrong foot. Those "extra service fees" and "surprise" rates have happened to many of us.

I hope your trip is trouble free and the best ever. Since we will be following you in September, we would appreciate any information and tips you have on your return.

Take care,

Jim;)

• 1 month later...

We are always using www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk to get from Prague Airport ... Other options about Prague Airport www.pragueairport.co.uk

Hi Richard,

Thanks,

Jim

Archived