Live from the Jewel for a few mins. Any questions?

Paleochick

41 minutes ago, Paleochick said:

I’m live from the Jewel (between Hubbard and Seward) for a few Minutes. Any questions you are dying to ask?

i will be on the jewel back to back july 29 - aug 12.

what shore excursions do you recommend?

what to avoid?

any particular spots at the ports you recommend/avoid?

shows on the ship to watch/avoid?

I loved the excursions we did. Loved. 

Ketchikan- we did the crab fisherman tour on the Balad from Deadliest Catch. Sit front row. 

Juneau- we did the whale quest and Mendenhall glacier. We saw humpbacks, orcas, sea lions,...we had an hour st the glacier. Amazing day. The whale watching was worth it all. 

Skagway- we booked with frontier expeditions. It was the frontier and dog sled tour. We all loved it best. We went beyond where the train goes. We saw some of the prettiest landscape I’ve ever seen. Kind of reminded me of Yellowstone. 

We used yelp in port to find fish and beer. I have no idea where we went, but yelp did a good job. 

28 minutes ago, Harratine said:

How is the WiFi?

Lol. It depends on where you are. My mom has Alzheimer’s and is at home. I have to contact her and family daily because I am her primary caregiver. I have the unlimited package. My family onboard likes to take over the package when I’m not using it. 

Short answer- good enough

Long answer- if it doesn’t work well in a balcony cabin, move to the bathroom. Lol. It’s stronger in the core of the ship. When we were in glacier bay, nothing worked because the mountains blocked access to the satellite. That was just one day. Other than that, it’s been fine, especially in lounges. I’m in the Spinnaker now. It’s my favorite place.   I have been able to use the WiFi to call my family or my mom daily, several times. When it doesn’t work, I move 20 feet. I’d buy again. I also love the messaging package for connecting with my teens. It works well. 

1 hour ago, Paleochick said:

I loved the excursions we did. Loved. 

Skagway- we booked with frontier expeditions. It was the frontier and dog sled tour. We all loved it best. We went beyond where the train goes. We saw some of the prettiest landscape I’ve ever seen. Kind of reminded me of Yellowstone. 

how hot is it in alaska now?

i would think too hot for Huskies?
and how many miles is the sled tour?

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

how hot is it in alaska now?

i would think too hot for Huskies?
and how many miles is the sled tour?

About a mile. Low 60s. We have been wearing layers on the ship when near glaciers. 

On 7/21/2019 at 3:17 PM, Harratine said:

How is the WiFi?

An update- we had no WiFi on the ship between Hubbard and Seward. At all. I should have complained to try to get a day of the WiFi package reimbursed, but I didn’t wAnt to take vacation time for that. It was also non-existent in Glacier Bay. 

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Sailing Smooth said:

I know you're off the ship now, but what was the general age of people on the ship?  We are bringing high school/college aged kids next year.

There were lots of teens, but very few 20-somethings.  My 15 year old said there were oodles of older teens.  I'd say the average age was probably in the late 50s.  They had several gatherings during the week for young adults (18-25).  Definitely have them attend the first one on Day 1 to find their crowd.

On 7/22/2019 at 8:58 PM, Paleochick said:

Captain Giorgio

General Manager Steven

Cruise Director Dan The Man. 

That’s all I can remember. 

Ooohh...   new cruise director since June.   We had Jake.