QE2 in Hawaii

Navaleye

Nice picture of the QE2 in Hawaii (yesterday?), taken by of RonO on the warship1 Royal Navy forum. Thanks RonO, I hope you don't mind me sharing it with the folks here, who appreciate things like this.

P1270002a2.jpg

Thanks for sharing the picture. She couldn't be looking more elegant. I was originally booked on her LA-Sydney segment, so the photo will have to substitute for my aborted transpacific voyage.

Thanks for sharing the picture. She couldn't be looking more elegant. I was originally booked on her LA-Sydney segment, so the photo will have to substitute for my aborted transpacific voyage.

Okay, all you maritime and ship design experts. I know we've had some discussions on this board about what makes a liner a liner, as compared to a cruise ship. I do understand the differences (and reasons) in the basic design of the bow and the main bulk of the cabin area.

As to the design of the funnel area, common to both QM2 and QE2- I am starting to understand a bit more of the function of the funnels as it relates to the engines, especially for getting sufficient air to the turbines. Now- The scoops around both ships' funnels- Are there air inlets to the funnel area (thence the turbines) in the rear of the scoops? I'm sure they are not simply a throwback to the design of the old steamers. Since they are not aerodynamic, scooping air from in front instead of funnelling it around sleek sides, what is their purpose? I suspect I will find my answer in Commodore Ron's book on her, but I haven't finished John Maxtone Graham's book on the QM yet! So help me out here.

And keep these discussions flowing. I have learned so much from you guys! Thanks!

Karie

Karie,

The scoops on the QE2 and QM2 are there to create an up lift of air at the base of the funnel to keep the exhaust soots from landing on the open decks. Here's a good example. The photo below was taken from the QM2 as the QE2 was passing us making over 30 knots. If you look at the column of exhaust smoke you will see it get an upward push as it leaves the funnel. Simple but clever. This doesn't really apply to cruise ships since they do not go that fast.

DSCF0042_edited.jpg

Karie,

The scoops on the QE2 and QM2 are there to create an up lift of air at the base of the funnel to keep the exhaust soots from landing on the open decks. Here's a good example. The photo below was taken from the QM2 as the QE2 was passing us making over 30 knots. If you look at the column of exhaust smoke you will see it get an upward push as it leaves the funnel. Simple but clever. This doesn't really apply to cruise ships since they do not go that fast.

DSCF0042_edited.jpg

Cool!

Who knew! (Well, obviously, you did!)

Thanks!

It was much simpler than what I was thinking!

Karie

We were on the NYC to LA portion and appreciate the photos of the continuation of the World Cruise. We are now living vicariously through these photos and what our table mates share, who are currently continuing on with the World cruise. I have a photo of the ship while in Curacao at: (and some others)

http://community.webshots.com/user/delrock

Archived