Commodore Warwick

bobby1119

Having read many news stories and viewed televised reports about the Queen Mary 2 saga, I was saddened to hear of the abuse that Commodore Warwick had to endure. He was merely the spokesman for the Carnival gremlin behind the scenes. This notwitstanding, nothing justifies the kind of reported abuse to which he and, no doubt, innocent crew were subjected, particularly in the form of withheld gratuities. I have sailed many times with Commodore Warwick in QE2 and he is a gracious person. How unfortunate to have to endure this as he looks forward to his retirement. No matter how legitimate some of the disguntled passengers' claims might have been, shame on them for their treatment of the Commodore and the hard-working (overworked) Queen Mary 2 crew!

I too have sailed with Capt Warwick...and consider hm to be pompous and non communicative. To each his own but he certainly does not deserve sympathy.

And to say Warwick has no responsibility in the way the incident has been handled is akin to saying Mr. Arinson has no responsibility in handling the ships of Carnivore Corp.

Having read many news stories and viewed televised reports about the Queen Mary 2 saga, I was saddened to hear of the abuse that Commodore Warwick had to endure. He was merely the spokesman for the Carnival gremlin behind the scenes. This notwitstanding, nothing justifies the kind of reported abuse to which he and, no doubt, innocent crew were subjected, particularly in the form of withheld gratuities. I have sailed many times with Commodore Warwick in QE2 and he is a gracious person. How unfortunate to have to endure this as he looks forward to his retirement. No matter how legitimate some of the disguntled passengers' claims might have been, shame on them for their treatment of the Commodore and the hard-working (overworked) Queen Mary 2 crew!

He was the guy in charge, so he was bound to be the one who got shouted at. I have always found him a somewhat remote figure and can never recall seeing him walking around the ship like, for instance Nick Bates, who even dined in the Lido one night on QE2 last month.

I guess he is "of the old school". Younger captains seem to be better at PR.

David.

I too have sailed with Capt Warwick...and consider hm to be pompous and non communicative. To each his own but he certainly does not deserve sympathy.

And to say Warwick has no responsibility in the way the incident has been handled is akin to saying Mr. Arinson has no responsibility in handling the ships of Carnivore Corp.

Actually, having dined with the Commodore (for which I thank my extremely lucky stars) I found him to be the antithesis of pompous. My take was that he was entirely uncomfortable with all the pomp and fol-de-rol and did it because it was expected of him. Someone mentioned on these boards that one of the ways to be chosen by his social secretary to dine with him is to "be a character" "to be a fun-loving outgoing person" Well, I'm sure most of you can tell that I am certainly nothing if not outgoing and a character. I believe he likes that BECAUSE it breaks up the formality and pomp associated with his station and his "social duties" Indeed, I found him to be an animated, passionate speaker on subjects he cared about. He also seemed to like a bit of verbal-well, I won't say jousting, but he would bring up subjects to see what reaction he got. Talk about things related to the sea, navigation, the Titanic, and he becomes quite animated. It's as if he wakes up from stupor of the formal stuff. Yes, he appears stiff when doing the formal stuff- I reallydo believe he "endures" it. but he comes alive when given the chance to propound his own beliefs and pet theories. He even went so far as to follow up by sending a copy of an article we had discussed to my stateroom.

Of course, we only had a few brief encounters, so I am not an expert, but these were my observations, and I like to think I am a keen observer of people. But this is just my opinion.

Karie,

who doesn't question why I was "chosen", is just glad I was!

P.S. Yes, as the person in command of the ship, even if he was in bed asleep at the time, he is ultimately responsible, whether or not he was personally at the wheel at the time. I suspect he knows that.

My impression of Commodore Warwick is that he is a decent person, reserved, and perhaps somewhat shy. As a rather reserverd and shy person myself, I am all too familiar with being called snooty, or "stuck up" as they say in America, when all I am is typically European (and Americans have told me this was a completely erroneous first impression).

Poor old Ron, (incidentally an old shipmate of mine from Cunard's Princess and Countess) is a thoroughly decent chap and not at all pompous.

He must be rueing the day when Cunard dragged him out of retirement with the new title of "Commodore" as a publicity stunt to launch the QM2.

And whatever the outcome of any enquiry about the accident, I know he will blame himself. Not an auspicous end to a career in the Merchant Navy!

Archived