Sun Eastern Caribbean. Tell us everything

cmdchiefthom

Hi again-- Thanks for the update. I guess we'll play it by ear on what to do in Cayo. According to what we've learned we will tender at all the ports, so that cuts into the time we have in each place. It sounds like we are taking the same excursion you did in Tortola. We get there at 1 and leave at 8, so we decided to use the NCL trip. Cost is $49 which didn't seem to bad considering it seems to cost between $35-40 to arrange it on your own and we'll get early tendering. We'll let you know how it went when we get back. What's your next trip, anything planned? John and Jo

Hi again-- Thanks for the update. I guess we'll play it by ear on what to do in Cayo. According to what we've learned we will tender at all the ports, so that cuts into the time we have in each place. It sounds like we are taking the same excursion you did in Tortola. We get there at 1 and leave at 8, so we decided to use the NCL trip. Cost is $49 which didn't seem to bad considering it seems to cost between $35-40 to arrange it on your own and we'll get early tendering. We'll let you know how it went when we get back. What's your next trip, anything planned? John and Jo

What makes you think we are tendering every port??? Everyone that has done the eastern carribean until now has said they only tendered in Cayo.....just wondering where you got any other info saying the opposite??

My e-Docs show that for each port we "anchor" I recall someone saying in the past that was an indication we tender. I hope I'm wrong. I would guess since the Sun had to change their port to Miami that port schedules were already set and there was no room to dock for late comers. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Hi John...We are considering the Sun or the Jewel possibly in jan/07...We have a week off again in October, but are a little leary of hurricane season....how about you guys?

How hard was it to get on and off the catamaran at the Baths? I have a bum knee and I don't want to injure myself! Walking and swimming aren't a problem, just climbing. Thanks!

The setup: The stern had steps leading down to the water then there was a ladder with handrails on both sides that extended down into the water. Getting into the water was easy. I simply sat down on the edge of the boat and eased in feet first. Getting out for me was also not a problem, although it was more difficult than going into the water. I suppose you could lead with your strong leg on each upward step using your upper body strength and the handrails to pull yourself up. I guess I would check with my physician regarding weight restrictions and/or bending restrictions with regards to the affected knee.

Hi-- No cruises planned as of now, we're going to Hawaii with friends for two weeks in May. Our son and daughter-in-law are expecting their second child in April, so will head east to Montana for that. Then plan to stay home in Seattle for the summer which is the best time here. After that, who knows. We are still getting lots of humming birds at our feeder, though nothing like Rotain. Hope you are both well. John and Jo

Hello Tinkerbell & Cantwaittogoagain.....

Kris, I am sorry we did not get to meet up with you....time just kinda got away from us. I did put a review on the Sun 1/21/06 roll call....if you want to see it. Maybe next time, we will meet you.

email me...

I'm leaving on the Sun out of Miami on 1 April and initiated this post. I've done some checking on the tendering issue and have been checking port schedules. It appears NCL posted the tendering info on their website for some sinister purpose,:eek: or perhaps because they simply didn't know after the change for New Orleans what was really going to happen.:rolleyes:

It now looks like this, based on the projected port schedules. In St Thomas the Sun is scheduled to dock at the Crown Bay (CBSS) dock to the east of Charlotte Amalie, I understand that the town center is a 30 minute walk from there. In Tortola, the Sun is also scheduled to dock, not tender, at the usual pier. At Samana DR, as well as GSC the Sun has always been scheduled to tender in.;)

I am still interested in reports on Samana/Cayo Levantado from cruisers who returned last Saturday. How about it?:D

We leave on Sat! Can't wait...

Did they have the cold fruit soup for dinner in the main restuarants?

Also, even though the waters were rough, did you see whales?

was it too cold/windy to sit on your balcony? I am hoping to get SOME sun! :)

A quick summary...

Embarkation... smooth and effortless. Took about 1/2 hour including all lines to check in, get seapass card, clear xray station (like airport) and get throught he photographer

Muster drill... less tedious that on other lines that we have sailed. Went faster. Less waiting around.

CC Party at Champs... Met many folks including the infamous Mr. Tractor! Thanks to everyone on the roll call for making the trip a great experience

Samana --tendered (anchors 1/2 way between Cayo and Samana)

Tortola -- docked

St. Thomas -- Docked at Crown Bay -- 3 other ships were docked at the Havensight docks, $4usd to get to downtown Charlotte Amalie by taxi, $10usd to get to from Sun to Coki Beach)

Nassau -- docked

The first few days of the cruise were flavoured by rough seas. with 12-18' swells, the ship was a rockin'. The Captain slowed down the speed to make it more comfortable for those who were feeling queasy. This made us late into Samana. They kept us there an extra hour. That made us late for Tortola the next day, again kept us there longer. By St. Thomas, we were back on schedule.

Whale watching -- I'll write a full review. The only bad thing I will say is that some people were ill prepared for the conditions and did not expect the conditions they encountered. A few were very angry, rude, loud, and racist. However, for those who understood what the sea would be like, the trip was great. I felt like I was white water rafting! My wife and I laughed the whole time. Once we got out and turned the boat to go in the same direction as the waves, the complainers quieted down because we saw no less than 5 whale sightings and 4 dolphin sightings, feet from the boat. The only reach that we saw was a single dolphin who fully jumped out of the water.

Baths -- on our own via Speedy's. Because ship was late, we missed the 10:30 ferry. Took the 12 noon ferry. Recommend you eat your fill on the ship and skip the lunch option at the Bath and Turtle. Good food but made the beach time very short. There were jellyfish and 2 people we saw got bad stings, one on the face, one on the arm. Climb down on the path through Devil's Bay was easy for us. Climb up on the long track was easy but seemed to take forever

Coki Beach -- on our own. Best day we had. Takes a while to get through town traffic but well worth it. Beach was somewhat crowded but folks were not pushy in trying to sell you things. The snokelling was out of this world! Barracuda, sting ray, green moray eel, more angelfish, royal grammas, tangs, and sargeants than I have ever seen. Magnificent orange Montiporas (elkhorn), lots of gorgonians (seafans), etc. Least amont of dead coral that I have seen in the Caribbean, Hawaii, or Australia.

Nassau --Sea Island Adventure - not impressed. They picked us up 1/2 hour late and dropped us off almost 1/2 hour early. Ended up with only an hour on site since it took 1/2 hour by ferry each way.

Overall, the ship was fantastic. All meals were exceptional. East Meets West (Steakhouse) on first night 6-7pm was 1/2 price. Our favourite was Il Adagio - do not miss the Caesar salad! Never waited to be seated at any of the restaurants. Most reservations made by phone or at the restaurant with a couple of hours notice. Service was by far the best I've experienced. The decor was not gaudy -- nice teak, brown marble in most common areas. The pool and jacuzzis need a bit of a facelift. The white tiles are looking a bit worn.

Overall, I'd say 4.5 of 5 stars (and 1/2 a star was probably lost to weather bringing it to a 4 star). Exceptional value for dollar. Would definitely sail her again.

Snoklehead- thanks for the great review!!

We leave on the 4th!

With the rough waters could you still sit out and catch sun? (by the pool or on your balcony?)

Did you eat at Las Rambas? Was it good? Is there a place other then the buffet or outdoor BBQ to get a burger or hot dog?? Like on the Spirit there is the little blue lagon...

even witht he rough waters was the sun out at the islands? THANKS!!

Rough seas did not mean no sun.

We were windblown on Deck 12 but followed the lead of others, skipped the deck chairs and lay on the deck. The wind just sailed over you if you went just ahead of midships next to Champs Bar.

I didn't see any cold soups anywhere... However, we only ate in the main dining rooms 2 nights.

Las Ramblas food -- no comment. We only went there to watch Don Dunn, an Irish Pub type singer who does requests on acoustic guitar. Lots of fun!

I am leaving soon for the SUN. Except for the rough waters, please tell me the food wasn't that bad. If I don't have to cook, buy the food, serve the food and clean it up, I'm for any type of food. Please tell me all in all you had a great time!!!Not having to get up to go to work is fine by me, I'll take everything else in stride.

Did you have any sun? on the SUN

Let us know, we are not hearing enough from you guys that just returned.

We were also on this cruise and I have to say that we thought the food, service, embarkation and disembarkation was awesome! Unfortunately the wind was very strong, giving us 12-18 foot seas and not letting us enjoy the days at sea. We didn't get off at Cayo either. By the time they called our tender number, it was about 2:45 and we had to be back on the ship by 4:30. So, we hung out by the pool bar and had a blast! You have to make the best of a bad situation! This was probably our worst cruise as far as weather goes because we've never had wind, a little rain, and cool temps. before. (Our stop at Great Stirrup was canceled and it was too cool for the beach in Nassau) but, we had a great time anyway! Loved Tortola and the Baths which we took a ferry to and always love Megan's Bay in St. Thomas!

Archived