Advice pse on West/EastCAribeban Excursions

blowers

Am looking to plan each day on our first trip to Caribbean from UK -

booked on Costa Magica 26 Feb 2 weeks

unfortunatley due to wife's illness-currently in remission- we suspect it may be the one and only time to Caribbean together so I want to get the plan sorted (accepting that all plans can change!)

We are 50 yr olds planning to take it reasonably easy ...plan so far having looked regularly at this site:

Any comments please and suggestions for improvement/alternatives very welcome -am keen to take lots of photos for our memories so welcome including "sites not to be missed" and also where to be extra cautious, where taxis are safe /not safe what to do/what not to do etc.

1. Key West - Only a short time so wander round poss Conch train book

(8-1) on day maybe aquarium- maybe Sloppy Joes? Wife

wants a keylime pie which I havn't heard of

2. Cozumel - not sure...embarkation long due to pier damage ....

(8-19.00) Chanakanaab National Park probably Ist choice (planned to re-open feb?) ...if not

Taxi to Paradise beach (is this busy and mainly for children..maybe a better alternative for us....taxis ok reliable? Where else pse? Preferably where some shade available

3. Och Rios - Think we'll pre-organise a guided tour Dunns Falls etc

(8-17.30)

4. Grand Cayman - Stringray City...book this from port as sometime this stop off gets cancelled? What do you think ? Reliable

(08.00-17.00)

5. Ft laud - Everglades -book via Costa to be safe or are there regular

safe return excursions from port?.Don't want to hire a car

(8-00-16.30)

6. San Juan -Evening stop 5pm so off at 6pm just some shopping maybe?

(16.00-)

7. St Thomas

(7.30-17.00)

- Tour island? Really not sure with this one- what recommendations pse

Can we hire a taxi for day to get us round ...are they reliable air conditioned etc? Maybe I would try Ist time snorkeling

8. Catalina Island -Beach with Costa -does it have shade?

(0800-15.00)

9. La Romana - Kandela show looks good on web site-book via Costa?

(18.00-23.00)

10 Nassau -(Wifes birthday...taxi to Atlantis ...but what else pse?

( 12.00-18.00)

Many thanks for any comments

Lily and I are doing similar itinerary 2 weeks starting Feb 12th. Lily also recovering from cancer treatments so we plan to go easy too.

Key West is definitely where you get a taste of Key lime pie. It's also full of stray cats, chickens and noisy college kids on vacation. The Conch train ride will be our choice plus lots of walking around the town.

Cozumel - don't go to Tulum as it can be hot and humid and it's a long trip. Buy vanilla - real vanilla.

Jamaica: Rafting on the Martha Brae river is nice and cool - lots of shade.

Grand Cayman: We're going to snorkel with the sting rays, but last time there we did a very easy snorkel tour early in the day close to the ship then walked around the town. Ask the boat boys all the fish names - Bermuda Chubb, seargent majors (two stipes), red snapper, parrot fish etc... you don't have to go on a long excursion to snorkel and remember it gets really hot at noon.

Ft.Lauderdale - I don't know. We had a car and three teenagers with us last time there!!!

San Juan - take a taxi to the old town in the evening. It's very safe and not expensive. In the evening they all walk along the promenade - Spanish custom arm in arm with granny and all the children. Lots of stands selling plantain chips. Start at the Wyndham Hotel and walk to the end of the road below the fort. Watch the pelicans roost in huge fig trees. It's safe walking after nightfall.

St.Thomas - We did island tour overview first time and snorkelling trip at Trunk Bay on St.John second time. This time I plan to walk to Lindberg Beach, the park and to the USVI university campus then walk back to the ship. If Lily gets tired we'll just grab a taxi back to the ship.

Have not been to Catalina or La Romana - but we plan to go to the beach and see the show in the evening.

Nassau - Staw market was out-doors when I was last there - not sure if Atlantis is worthwhile, but taxis can be shared with others if you find another couple arrange a 2-3 hour guided tour.

Atlantis is certainly worth seeing...there are taxi's just outside the gate...shared mini vans....fare is about $2 per person one way (that could have changed since last year)...downtown Nassau is good shopping the girls dont want to miss...straw market for one. St Thomas...lots of good beaches and the shopping is not to be missed. Also a vendors market at the end of town nearest the ships...with good buys on T shirts....knock off watches, purses etc which I love. Do have a wonderful cruise and enjoy.

Conch train sounds good. We are doing Butterfly Gardens. It has been our experience that anything with the word Garden it it has been great, no matter where we have gone.

Can't help much with Cozumel. It is a tourist trap and we didn't do much the last time we were there

Ocho Rios we are also doing the Dunns River tour so maybe we will be on the same one!

Grand Caymans. Check up on Sting Ray City. Our daughter did that when she was down there and it sounds pretty active. We plan on doing the Submarine which really isn't what it sounds like.

We'll be at Ft Lauderdale before the cruise and plan on going to Flamingo Gardens (there's that word again). Not sure what else there is.

St. Thomas is another tourist area. We took a tram up to Pirates cove. That was really cool and we did most of our shoppiing there the first time. We also did an island tour which was very interesting. My main advise for these ports is don't go to spots that the shore director recommends as they are pricey and cheap quality. We have found that if you want to shop, explore on your own. You will find much more interesting souvenirs that way anyway.

If you have the time and the opportunity check out St Johns. It is a beautiful island and has a national park. The tour is awesome!

We'll be with you the first half of your cruise at least (can't leave our dog alone too long!). We'll have to figure out a way to meet up. I'll have my Packer hat and Packer T-shirt but am problably the only old guy with a beard in our group. If they have it. I'll probably have a Miller Genuine Draft in my hand. :)

Looking forward to meeting you!

Jeff

"Wife wants a keylime pie which I havn't heard of"

if ya dont know, key lime pie is a lime custard pie made out of limes from the keys.:) - i dont like lime so cant say :)

in key west sloppy joe's is just a bar. i dunno what the big deal about it is.

cozumel- i was just talking to people on cozumel forums they say chakanaab is still closed, but in a month, who knows :)

we're going to PLAYA MIA! free drinks and water trampolines :) cant wait.

"is this busy and mainly for children..maybe a better alternative for us"

on the cozumel forums they say tourorism is WAY down and everything is UNCrowded, i hope so kuz its always a crowded hot spot or so i've read (this down is from destructive hurricane wilma i dunno how much news you've heard in the UK)

also on the forums they say that the taxi's are nice and friendly. tho they say to walk a little and flag a taxi down somewhere in the town or on the street, it'll be cheaper than getting one at the designated taxi stops or depots, they charge more for the convienence and the drivers have to wait in like for thier turn to pick up people.

-Joe

For Atlantis.... if you take a cab with other people there, how do you go about arranging a tour? Do you just do it when you get there? How much does it cost? I know the excursion price for Atalantis tour is $47 with Costa.

Thanks, Tiffany

Joe

Been to Cozumel before??

Looked at Mia beach...looks ok

I'll need to choose between Mia/Paradise beach or Chanakanaab National Park if it's open.

(If you have been there) I assume it's just grab a taxi and taxi's will be readily available for return (I hope!)

Geoff

no i havent been to cozumel before unfortunetly, i've just been reading up like an idiot all week on it because i'm going to try to do some snorkelign on my own.

the other places (ocho rio, grand cayman) we are going on excursions because i dont know how to do thoes 'on your own' has anyone done thoes places 'on thier own'?

from what i've read there are plenty of taxis and its easy to get one. plenty waiting for the cruise ships when they dock. and plenty waiting at all the points of interest for your return. if for some reason you are in the middle of no where, and there are no taxis, just walk out on the main road one will pass within 1-2 min, if he's currently on a fare ride, he will radio for a co-worker to come get you.

check out this site

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/BeachClubs.htm

-Joe

Joe

Been to Cozumel before??

Looked at Mia beach...looks ok

I'll need to choose between Mia/Paradise beach or Chanakanaab National Park if it's open.

(If you have been there) I assume it's just grab a taxi and taxi's will be readily available for return (I hope!)

Geoff

If Chanakanaab Park is open when you are there it is a wonderful place to spend the day. I went there (before Wilma) with my 4 year old and felt very safe. The park was beautiful and very clean. We stood on the dock and watched dolphins play and saw a short sea lion show. There are scuba/snorkle rentals in the park and a couple of restaurants. The great thing about Cozumel is that Taxi fares are listed on a board at the pier so you pay a flat rate to attractions/beaches. There were also cabs waiting at the park to return us to the ship. Employees of the park were very friendly & helpful.

If you go to Dunns River Falls in Ocho, I would book thru the cruise line. We spent a week in Ocho & did not feel safe at all. The tour operator we used was rude & rushed us up the falls. On the way back to our resort he drove us all around as he picked up his local buddies & dropped them off at various stops. Also, be sure to wear some type of footwear as the falls are slippery.

Since you are from the UK I suggest you not rent a car in St.Thomas or in Ft.Lauderdale for that matter. Unless you have special "out of State" insurance coverage, you can be required to stay in US jurisdiction until after a court hearing if you are involved in a traffic accident. You'll be driving on the right side of the road, not on the left. Why ruin a holiday over that little risk!

Macy2

Can you recall which tour operator you used in Ocho? thinking of pre-booking and avoiding crowds-seems we need to avoid this one! Some have good write ups though

Thanks

Geoff

No, sorry but I don’t remember the tour operators name. We booked it thru our resort & it has been several years ago. If we ever cruise to Jamaica I will stick to the cruise line’s excursions even if crowded because of “safety in numbers” .

A great place to check out some of the attractions at these locations check: www.tripadvisor.com you can just put in the location and find reviews and info on some of the places you can visit at these ports.

We were just in Cozumel and Paradise Beach was open but I'm not sure if it is anything like it was before the hurricane.

We just got back from the Costa 1/15 to the Western. My husband is in the middle of his chemo treatments so we had to take it easy but were still able to do a lot.

Since you don't spend much time in Key West we took the Conch Train and just walked around. The train really wasn't worth the $25pp.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach. Have been there many times before and after the hurricane. It is a real nice beach. They have built it back up since the hurricane. We have been Chanakanaab National Park on other cruises and did not like it so much for the beach. We did do the Royal Dolphin Swim and highly recommend it. When we drove by it, it did not look like it was ready to open any time soon.

Ocho Rios we did the river tubing through the ship and had a blast. In the past we did Dunns River falls and had fun. We booked after we got off the ship and had no problems. It is a bit of a strenous climb. We knew we couldn't do it this time as my husband tires easily, so the river tubing was perfect.

In Grand Cayman we have done the stingray and other snorkeling trips and all are great. You can book right when you get off the ship or in advance through and independent. We used Soto's http://sotoscruises.com/index.shtml and if the ship doesn't make it that day they will refund your money.

We just got back from the Costa 1/15 to the Western. My husband is in the middle of his chemo treatments so we had to take it easy but were still able to do a lot.

Since you don't spend much time in Key West we took the Conch Train and just walked around. The train really wasn't worth the $25pp.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach. Have been there many times before and after the hurricane. It is a real nice beach. They have built it back up since the hurricane. We have been Chanakanaab National Park on other cruises and did not like it so much for the beach. We did do the Royal Dolphin Swim and highly recommend it. When we drove by it, it did not look like it was ready to open any time soon.

Ocho Rios we did the river tubing through the ship and had a blast. In the past we did Dunns River falls and had fun. We booked after we got off the ship and had no problems. It is a bit of a strenous climb. We knew we couldn't do it this time as my husband tires easily, so the river tubing was perfect.

In Grand Cayman we have done the stingray and other snorkeling trips and all are great. You can book right when you get off the ship or in advance through and independent. We used Soto's http://sotoscruises.com/index.shtml and if the ship doesn't make it that day they will refund your money.

Archived