Fangs for the memories.

lexus man

As with other medical problems that come up on cruises, the cruise doctor would contact a dentist in the next port for you, if not an emergency.  Of course, you never know where you will be or the quality of the dentists there, especially on a weekend ( just like the quality of doctors on a ship varies).

Prevention is best: fix anything you can fix while still home, and use discretion chewing nuts while on the cruise.

My dentist knows I cruise and has been pushing for me to replace a half split crown 

prophylactically because it could split all the way through any time.  But she has been saying this for years.  Meanwhile, I chew nuts on the other side. Now that I am retired, it is on my “to do” list, as I want to do longer voyages.

I always take a Dentist with me on all Cruises. He is also handy as a dinner companion, suitcase lifter and pays for my Cruise. A Fang Farrier with out his instruments can do very little if you crunch a bone or something similiarly hard. The Farrier himself had this experience, a front tooth. Only ever trusting a known fellow colleague to repair his Fang, he spent 20 days like this until he returned home. So relaxed is Panda he still managed an enjoyable holiday.

21 hours ago, lexus man said:

I’m contemplating going on one of the longer voyages in 2021. What I’m wondering is has anyone out there on such a cruise ever had dental problems, such as a broken tooth, and what was the solution?

My husband has lost a front crown about three times now whilst abroad but never on a cruise. We have just forsaken the NHS here for our dental care and joined Denplan. They guarantee that you can see a dentist wherever you are in the world as an emergency. Might that be a solution? The other thing we always carry is a tiny pot of dental filler/glue, bought from Amazon that can repair fillings or stick a crown back on. It has been used several times with said crown! An implant now beckons to sort out the problem once and for all, not withstanding the fact that it may cost the same as a cruise!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, koalapanda said:

I always take a Dentist with me on all Cruises. He is also handy as a dinner companion, suitcase lifter and pays for my Cruise. A Fang Farrier with out his instruments can do very little if you crunch a bone or something similiarly hard. The Farrier himself had this experience, a front tooth. Only ever trusting a known fellow colleague to repair his Fang, he spent 20 days like this until he returned home. So relaxed is Panda he still managed an enjoyable holiday.

Koala panda, had you been on a World Cruise, do you think he would have spent 140 days thus?

My wife once lost a crown on the flight to Buenos Aires 2 days before the cruise. We called American Express Global Assist, they got back to us pretty quickly and sent us to the dentist the embassy uses. 2 hours later a temporary crown was on,and we were on the way. We got home a few weeks later,and her dentist said, it was great work by the dentist that fixed it. 

8 hours ago, margbem said:

My husband has lost a front crown about three times now whilst abroad but never on a cruise. We have just forsaken the NHS here for our dental care and joined Denplan. They guarantee that you can see a dentist wherever you are in the world as an emergency. Might that be a solution? The other thing we always carry is a tiny pot of dental filler/glue, bought from Amazon that can repair fillings or stick a crown back on. It has been used several times with said crown! An implant now beckons to sort out the problem once and for all, not withstanding the fact that it may cost the same as a cruise!!

Thanks for that info, I've gone onto Denplan in the last year or so and did notice the have worldwide assistance.  I shall make sure I take the paperwork with me just in case! 

I am on my way for an implant also, hopefully all finished before our next cruise in April.  

12 hours ago, lexus man said:

Koala panda, had you been on a World Cruise, do you think he would have spent 140 days thus?

Hi Lexus Man, a World Cruise would never be on Panda's agenda. The bear loves cruising, but more than a month away he is chaffing at the bit to get home. 

It is a very valid "what if" thread you started, especially as we age. Our teeth wear out like other parts of our body. Panda had been most fortunate , great fangs a genetic trait . He had not required any treatment for a period of 58 years from 21 to 79 years of age. On this occasion his tooth split and broke off a large section. Good idea for us all to have a check up before we travel but we never really know when problems will occur. 

Lots of good information being given for Cruisers by Cruisers on this thread.

I get your point re your pending world Cruise ,  my post is just an ironic situation that those with the expertise do not know what fate has in store.

I retreat, have a wonderful Cruise.

Edited by koalapanda