HOT TOPICS at dinner!

LovetheSea

On our LAST Princess Cruise (I mean it!), we requested a table for 2, and were seated the first night at a table for 8. One of the couples was a foul-looking man and woman who immediately began the conversation by boasting that this was their 37th cruise on Princess.

I just KNEW that we would hear about ALL 37 cruises every night as their main topic of conversation, so I insisted that the Maitre D' get us a table for two for the remaining 10 nights of the cruise!!

That was a great move!! Now we only get tables for 2!!

Happy sailing!!

The absolute BEST table experience we have ever had on a cruise was where there was a group of people from the most eclectic of backgrounds, lifestyle choices, religious persuasions, and careers....

Included at our table were three gay men, a fundamentalist right-wing couple, an attorney (self named "ambulance chaser"), and two sisters who were active in Greenpeace. There were six different ethnic backgrounds represented (we decided at the table that "southerners" were a different ethnic background!)...

The interesting thing was that we all respected everyone's right to be whatever they wanted to be. No-one was spared a little "poking fun", and we sought each other out on shore excursions, in the lounges, even kept seats for each other at the entertainment shows. No-one tried to change any one else's point of view, but many spirited and informative discussions were held.

The thing that I learned most was the when we are respectful of others, we can listen to others' points of view and have even BETTER conversations than when we surround ourselves with "like-minded" people, or force everyone away from "taboo" subjects.

It's about the respect people have for each other, not their background, ethnicity, career, lifestyle, religious persuasion, or political viewpoint.

I consider myself most fortunate for meeting those people.

We get that all time.....too funny. I guess people think we're weird for wanting to help stop the rapid population growth. Not everyone feels the overwhelming urge to reproduce. :)

But you should at least practice often, ....just in case you change your minds.

Good things to talk about...I really like finding out what everyone else did while in port. Especially if they did different things than we did. I love hearing funny cruise ship stores. I like hearing about other places people have traveled and yes even about all their other cruises. Anything but the normal things you talk about at work or home or with relatives. I don't want to stress over Iraq or the war between the Democrats and the Republicans. I don't want to think about the poor tsunami victims or the people who are still displaced and homeless in New Orleans. I don't want to wonder what ever happened to Natalie Holloway. Or that poor guy who disappeared on his honeymoon cruise, or if my niece will EVER find a nice guy instead of the jerk she is dating. Will my son find love and happiness? They can all live without my thoughts for 7 nights. ( I am so ready for this cruise on Sunday!) And a lot of times we sit with passengers from other countries. Can you imagine how boring it would be for them to have to hear all about OUR politics for the entire cruise?

Maybe we can talk about favorite types of music, favorite songs, favorite books read, favorite color underwear, favorite kinds of foods, favorite types of sexy pajamas, favorite movies watched, favorite color underwear, favorite actors and actresses......favorite color underwear...the list goes on and on.....:D :D :D

Maybe we can talk about favorite types of music, favorite songs, favorite books read, favorite color underwear, favorite kinds of foods, favorite types of sexy pajamas, favorite movies watched, favorite color underwear, favorite actors and actresses......favorite color underwear...the list goes on and on.....:D :D :D

Hmmmm...you mentioned favorite color underwear three times in your post. So what color DO you prefer? :eek:

My guess is that you work in the insurance industry;) I know... you said you weren't going to tell, but you've piqued my curiosity:)

I wasn't going to guess either....but like you am curious now...My guess is IRS. -- Well this is what I get for posting before I read the whole post.....I guess my "guess" isn't very original!

To the ones who said people have the audacity to ask you "Why", "When" and "How Come" regarding children, I really don't know what you'd say to someone like that. Even if you did say you hated children they probably would want to know why.

Those are a few of the rudest questions people can ask. I have asked other couples if they have children, but if the answer was No, it never occurred to me to ask why or when etc.... If they want to expand they will.

There are many reasons people don't have kids, some choose not too, some are unable to and it's just plain insensitive for people to grill others about it.

I hope on your next cruise you no one asks you these questions!

There are many reasons people don't have kids, some choose not too, some are unable to and it's just plain insensitive for people to grill others about it.

Mine is by choice, but I can easily see how someone who has tried to have kids would/could get hurt by asking why they haven't had kids yet. :(

To the ones who said people have the audacity to ask you "Why", "When" and "How Come" regarding children, I really don't know what you'd say to someone like that. Even if you did say you hated children they probably would want to know why.

In my younger and more confrontational days, I would occasionally answer that I hated kids (although I don't, actually) when asked why I didn't have any. More than once, the person would reply, "Well, I sure hope you never have any!", which left me without much to say, really, except "Erm... yeah, me too!".:confused:

Lisa

Mine is by choice, but I can easily see how someone who has tried to have kids would/could get hurt by asking why they haven't had kids yet. :(

Twenty six years ago, when I was a young married woman who was being considered for a promotion at a Fortune 500 company, the Senior VP who intererviewed me asked "I know you have just one child. Are you planning to have another?" I then responded "I would prefer to have just one child, but my husband would like two. May the better man win" with a smile on my face. By using humor instead of being confrontational, I obviously made my point because the VP then said "I had no right to ask that question and would like to apologize for doing so" By the way, I got that promotion with a substantial raise, as well :)

Those are a few of the rudest questions people can ask. I have asked other couples if they have children, but if the answer was No, it never occurred to me to ask why or when etc.... If they want to expand they will.

I hope on your next cruise you no one asks you these questions!

I hope so too. It for me at least brings up the fact that I could say I sorta have a child. I put my daughter up for adoption at birth because at the time I was very young and could not support a child. Then they feel really awkward if I mention that

I hope so too. It for me at least brings up the fact that I could say I sorta have a child. I put my daughter up for adoption at birth because at the time I was very young and could not support a child. Then they feel really awkward if I mention that

Just goes to prove my point about butting into someone else's business. You don't know the reasons behind they way things are.....

I don't think it's too rude to ask "Do you have children", but if the questioning proceeds after you say no....well then it seves them right to feel awkward if they keep asking personal questions beyond that.

Just goes to prove my point about butting into someone else's business. You don't know the reasons behind they way things are.....

I don't think it's too rude to ask "Do you have children", but if the questioning proceeds after you say no....well then it seves them right to feel awkward if they keep asking personal questions beyond that.

That is very true. BTW, the kids in your avatar are adorable.

On one of your cruise's, we had a good table, except for one man, He would turn and talk one on one with who ever was next to him. I thought it was very rude and really took a disliking to him because of this. Usuall we have had great tables and have had a lot of fun.:cool:

Archived