Kona - dive

mermaid40

• 2 weeks later...

We used Big Island Divers in Kona last spring while on the Island Princess. they picked us up at the dock, had Kona coffee and banana bread in the shop while we tried on wet suits, got our gear etc. 4 of us were taking a discover Scuba experience while the other 4 were experienced divers. All of us gave it a huge thumbs up review. Very professional, yet personalble with new equipment. After our two tank dive we still had some time befoe we had to be back at the ship tender area, so they gave us a quick improptu tour of the area.

• 2 months later...
We are sailing on the Pride of America and would like to dive in Kona. Has anyone done the NCL dive excursion there? Or can you recommend a dive operator in Kona? Thanks so much!!

Highly recommend Jack's Dive Locker.

There are many good dive ops in Kona. Kona is also a very good place for diving/snorkeling/fishing. If you want a dive op that will pick you up at the pier then the choices are more limited. Jack's locker is a large outfit with a good name.

If you're willing to go a few miles north or south (by taxi or rental), there are many more choices. For example, a few miles north ther is the Honokohau Harbour with quite a few dive ops.

This is a good site to go to

http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com/

as he lists all the dive ops he knows in Kona.

Another place to look is

http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=291

Just rent you a car and a couple of tanks each, get a map and head south of Kona to The Place of Refuge. Don't go to the park but ask for the place called Two Steps, within 1/2 mile of the refuge. One of the best shore dive anywhere, always a few turtles around and often there are spinner dolphins are around. Check out shorediving.com for more ideals. We have been to all of the islands on a cruise and land based trips and the shore diving is great if you do your home work.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Place_of_Refuge/index.htm

We were just in Kona in February and dove with Kona Honu. John is a great guy and will work with you. We did 2 morning dives one twilight dive and the night Manta dive. Wow what a good time! Their boats are beautiful and not crowded at all! We had 6 divers when we went on the day dive. Who ever you go with have a good time!

Dive With Jack's They Are The Best. If you can do the manta ray night dive do it, one of the best dives I have ever done awesome!!

Hey Bruce you look cold in your dry suit!!

Hey Bruce you look cold in your dry suit!!

Actually, I was pretty warm. I was diving the Channel Islands and the water temp was in the low 60's. That is toasty warm in a drysuit. However, I was pretty cold in Hawaii in my 3 mm full suit in 77˚f water.

BTW, I was diving off of the south coast of Maui last week (April 3-8). The water temp was 77 degrees. I always dive Hawaii in a simple 3mm full wetsuit. If you tend to get cold, you may want to think about wearing a shortie over the 3 mm full suit. Or a 3/5 if you have one.

BTW, I was diving off of the south coast of Maui last week (April 3-8). The water temp was 77 degrees. I always dive Hawaii in a simple 3mm full wetsuit. If you tend to get cold, you may want to think about wearing a shortie over the 3 mm full suit. Or a 3/5 if you have one.
Add a hooded vest or just a beanie and that helps a lot too. I have a 5/4 mm Bare Velocity now. Highly recommend it.

While in Kona I would call Kona Honu Divers for any excursion dives. They have the newest custom 46' dive boat with the fastest engines and they have a new faciltility for all your needs.

Making arrangements with Glen or Maggie, the owners they are both warm and friendly with the Ohana (family) spirit. Glen will probably pick you up and drop you off at the ship should you call and book with them.

The divemasters and instructors are well educated or degreed in oceanography and will literally find everything that they briefed you on with respect to the endemic sealife. Take some time and look for the Frogfish if you are a shutterbug and ask them to point out Humuhumunukapua'a, the state fish and visit the Eel Garden and still there is so much more.

Glen is a retired educator and thus understandably gives reason for his above average talented crew.

I dive Kona and the islands regularly as my home waters. Not knowing your experience level or what you like I know these people will take good care of you right down to the refresments and snacks.

Afterwards if you are in town there is a tiki bar that serves a good native Hawaiian drink that is an aphrodisiac, it's just below Jacks Dive Locker near the Outback off of Alii Drive. Not to far from there is a two story restaurant overlooking the ocean and serving the hottest/spiciest chicken wings ever and cold Kona Longboard Lager beer or Pale Ale.

By the way, a 5mm suit is good to go diving with. If you happen to see a pod of Humpbacks ask to be dropped off in front of the Spinner Dolphins that precedes them and wait patiently until you get the experience of a lifetime. You can thank me later...Paul:)

Archived