Help with advanced planning for a newbie!!

jmcross

First, let me preface this by saying that we've been on 2 Disney cruises but we have never sailed RCCL.

We are on the Navigator for February of 2007. I need to know what I can plan in advance. Can I make spa, dining or excursion ressies before boarding? Anything else I should do ahead of time?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!!

Joanne:D

Joanne, you can make excursion reservations before you board. They will billed immediately to your credit card.

Have you checked out the "Ports of Call" forums? There are lots of other ideas there for excursions, also. You have lots of time to figure out exactly what you want to do at your ports.

I have learned so much from these boards! The CCers have a wealth of information they are willing to share.

Have fun planning!

You can't make dining or spa appointments in advance, but as Sheffie said, you can book your excursions in advance.

We did the Eastern itinerary on Navigator in February and had a wonderful time! We have pictures if you'd like to take a look....

www.theloves.smugmug.com

There are also cruise compasses and menus from our Navigator cruise at that site.

Hope you have a great time! :D

First, let me preface this by saying that we've been on 2 Disney cruises but we have never sailed RCCL.

We are on the Navigator for February of 2007. I need to know what I can plan in advance. Can I make spa, dining or excursion ressies before boarding? Anything else I should do ahead of time?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!!!

Joanne:D

Hi Joanne.. We are sailing on Mariner next January, and according to RCCL 's website, we cannot book any excursions until this April. So just keep ckecking their site. You can look at all the things that there are to do between now and the time to book. Also, look at www.shoretrips.com

Thanks for the help, everyone! It sounds very similar to the DCL. Do I take it that everyone does the ressie rush once onboard for things like spa and adult restaurant times?

Joanne

There can be a rush, but I just pick up the phone once in my stateroom and book that way. I have never had a problem. And just an fyi, RCI does not have adults only restaurants like Disney does. All the restaurants are for all ages. They have specialty restaurants but not for adults only. Have a great cruise.

I saw that while I was surfing RCCL web site that you can even apply the tips now, and pay for excursions. I'm all for paying for most of it now and have more money for other "stuff" on the cruise. Plus it helps in budgeting the wallet!

Dona

If you are in a suite that has concierge priviledges, you can have spa arrangements and dinner arrangements made for you prior to embarkation. YOu will be contacted about a week or so before you are to board by the conceirge of your ship. He can make those arrangements for you as well as shore excursions then and on board. Another plus for being in a suite. Have a great time. Karen

Joanne,

We just got back from RC Serenade....previously on Disney like u...my advise....cancel and go on Disney...Sorry but there is NO comparison !

We are mid 30's with 3 kids 6,7,9

water slide on Serenade was open 3pm-5pm THATS IT !!!

Saturday waterslide is closed all day

Towels are given to u in your room for beach and pool, not at the pool like Disney. Loose one of the towels 20 BUCKS per towel !!!

Forget about pool side food as on Serenade there is NOTHING by the pool like Disney, no Pinocchois pizza, no self service make your own sundae, no taco bar...NOTHING ! Seaview Cafe is on same deck (aft) and not near family pool and the wait is usually 30+ minutes.

The pools on Serenade are salt water family pool was over my head.

Food was OK, no chocolate buffet, midnight buffet is for LOOKING ONLY from 11:15-12:30 then u can wait in a long line to eat if u want.

For me Disney was sooo much better, we traveled with 6 other families, all with kids and they all agreed.

Shelly

Shelly~I'm scared now! This is exactly what I feared when switching from DCL. My 2 boys will be 9 and 13 when we sail on RCI and my older DS feels like he has outgrown the Disney ships. My DH also wants to try another line as we've done both of the Disney itineraries, seen all of the shows, etc. I would rather stay on DCL but NOBODY in my family agrees!

The only plus side I can see is that we are booked in a junior suite which seems much larger than our balcony cabin on DCL. It is actually less money than a standard balcony cabin on DCL, too.

Karen~Does a junior suite qualify for the concierge services that you mentioned??

Thanks again for all of the responses!

Joanne

Joanne

My sister had a family suite and our less expensive family stateroom 8002 was actually bigger in my opinion. Mu sister had a balcony and 1 bathroom, we had no balcony /but a seperate bedroom. The room was bigger than Disney...however with a family of 5 DISNEY gave us 2 adjoining rooms so the children had their own room.

Im telling u that Serenade was not as good as Disney and I noticed it every day ! There was no attention to the kids like on Disney and the "comfort level" is not there either. Disney Crew was more attentive to the children. For example...THursday my 11 year old nephew was missing from 7pm to 10pm RCCl offered us 2 security staff to help locate him, Kids club had no idea where he went (disney would hav documented where he went thru the pager /or on the books) RCCL refused to hav him paged to guest relations as "IT WOULD BE DISRUPTIVE TO OTHER PASSENGERS"

However RCCL paged for BINGO daily, and gold sale daily.

Good Luck with your decision

Shelly

Thanks Beachchick~That's disappointing. I was excited thinking that we were getting some concierge services.

I'm sorry for sounding so uninformed but what is C&A and what is an extra cruise credit?

C&A is Crown and Anchor, which is RCI's past cruiser program. You can join after your first RCI cruise (and unlike some cruise lines, it is NOT automatic, you have to sign up). Cruise credits are:

1 credit for any cruise

1 extra credit for a JS or above

1 extra credit for 12 night or longer single cruise

Maximum of 3 credits for any single cruise.

C&A levels:

Gold: 1 to 5 credits = Basic level with basic benefits

Platinum: 6 to 10 credits = Next level with some extra benefits

Diamond: 11 to 24 credits = Next level with even more benefits

Diamond Plus: 25 and above = Now we're talking benefits!

The benefits are detailed on RCI's website. Just go there and click on the "Crown and Anchor" icon. You will then get a complete list of the benefits, etc.

beachchick

Thanks for the info! I did go to RCI Website and now I have 2 more questions. Again, sorry if I appear ignorant?

They mention "custom air fee". What is that?

They also mention some kind of coupon booklet. Do you only get the booklet after completing the first cruise?

Thanks again for your help!

Joanne

Joanne

You get the coupon booklet after your first cruise...this is a "gift" from Crown and anchor which you can join after first cruise....although if you have time on the Navigator you can join while on there...but wont get any benefits until your next cruise.

You cant compare the Navigator to the Serenade..which I see some posters are mentioning...they are different size ships with different amenities.

The Navigator is a much bigger ship and is very popular with families...there is just so much for the Children to do....wow.:D

I cant compare RCCI to DCL ..never did DCL....but If I was you I wouldnt be worried.....the Navigator has so much to offer you and your family..you will have a blast.:D

Liz

Well, the first thing is to decide what ship/itinerary you are going with:confused: . Then, after booking, I look for my flight to and fro the ships starting and ending ports. I usually look at several sites such as, Priceline, Cheaptickets, and Travelocity. Go with the best rate! I know that a lot of people use custom air with RC but, you can get a much better rate doing it on your own. The only difference is RC guaranteees to get you to the ship if there are any problems with your flight. Just go a day ahead of departure and you can remedy that. The money you will save will cover your hotel stay overnight.

Secondly, I save any sites I can on our ports of call. I just google our destinations/ports and gather information on them. Then, I move the information to a document on my computer and compile a list of things I want to see and do. How to get around, prices for museums,etc., shopping stuff and some history on each port city:confused: . Most of the time you can do things on your own and it is half the price or less. Money you can use on dining, souveniers, etc. Not to mention, you get to see exactly what you want at your own pace. I have never done a ships excursion and probably never will. I know you get the guarantee that you won't miss the ship but, it is much more expensive and with the proper planning, you can do it yourself. Also, you get hearded around like cattle and sometimes have no time for shopping.

Thirdly, I ask as many questions as I can to those who have already been there done that. They usually have the ins and outs of their experiences and don't cost anything to get the info. However, you must pick and choose the info you want. Not everyone has the same standards or likings of others:rolleyes: . So, just make sure what they are telling you is fact by researching what they have told you.

I enjoy researching/planning for our trips. It gives me the extra excitement and preparedness I need. On our last trip, I even made the same info packs I had for myself, for my CC friends going with us. I made about 15 info packs for our new friends and they were very grateful. My personal documents covering everything about our ports of call. I gave them out at our pre-meeting at sail away or delivered them to their staterooms. It also is more rewarding doing the research and going into these ports on your own:p . A great sense of adventure that it is! So, plan and research away, and don't forget to pack:eek: ! Have a great time on your cruise and many more. Andros

Joanne: When you purchase your air tix from the cruise line as part of your cruise "package," you have to take whatever flights they give you. You have no say on times, airlines, etc. And you have to fly in the day of the cruise and home the day the cruise ends (unless you have booked a pre- or post-cruise land package with the cruise line, then of course you fly on those days).

If you want to deviate from the dates (say you want to fly in 3 days early, but want to book a hotel on your own) or if you want to choose specific flights, times, or airline, then the cruise line charges you a custom air fee. For the higher level C&A members, that custom air fee is waived.

beachchick

Archived