Oosterdam (alaska cruise) good for Children?

JJPCheers

We want to go to Alaska on the Oosterdam in July 2006. We have only been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises. Is the Oostermdam good for Children? Our child is 9 years old and I want to make sure there will be other families with children on this cruise. Thanks

JJP

Hopefully I can provide some information for you. My wife and I have been crusing for 7 yrs now with our girls who are now 10 an 8. Last yr we sailed on the Oosterdam out of Seattle (having sailed HAL twice before as well as RC, Celebrity and Carnival-HAL is our line of choice) and we are booked on the Statendam this coming August (can you see where this is going...) First off HAL is not RC or Carnival in terms of the kids programs. Yes they offer club hal which is open 2 hrs in the morning, 2 hrs in the afternoon and evening after dinner and they offer late night hrs. Our girls were 1 of 20 in their age group vs 1 of MANY on Carnival and RC which both they and we prefer. Alaska is truly a family vacation in terms of activities and excursions - we did things (hiking, rafting, whale watching)that we would never have the opportunity to do anywhere else and we had an amazing time (going back this yr again...told you where this was going). I do have to say that our girls became friends with 4 other kids on the sailing and we did give them the freedom of signing themselves out TOGETHER meeting us at a specified time and place. We are investing in walkie talkies this summer since they are at that age where they want some independence and they are well behaved and respectful of other guests that we feel we can give it to them. Our girls had an amazing time and are just as excited about going back this summer on their favorite line - HAL - as well. Please feel free to ask specific questions and hopefully I can answer.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Bob,

I am trying to put together a group (basically family reunion) cruise to Alaska for May of 2007. We have all sailed Carnival (lots of fun) at least a few times and some of us have sailed RCCL (too big for my tastes) and for Alaska I am looking primarily at Carnival. However I have been hearing more and more about HAL and now wonder if I should throw them into the mix. My concern is the children's program. Our 3 DD enjoy Camp Carnival for hours and hours and I'm sure their cousins and friends would also. Did you find what seems to be limited hours on HAL for the kids limiting? When the kid's group was closed were there enough other activites to keep the kids busy and out of the people's way? Was the boat friendly overall to kids? We have kids age 6 to 17 (actually to age 80 but they don't count). Thanks

Jim

HAL is not Carnival or RC in terms of the kids program. (2) hrs in the morning, (2) hrs in the afternoon and (2) hours at night followed by late night 10pm till 1am. The kids groups are small 10-20 per age group. Last July there were 200 kids on board the O (1800 passengers) and that includes "kids" from infants to 18. My two girls much prefer club hal to carnival, rc or celebrity . Sure they do not have the ice skating rink, rock climbing, golf...but the smaller groups lend themselves to the kids making friends - my two became great friends with 4 other kids last summer and hung out with them after day two - they would meet at camp - then go to lunch together (with the parents sitting at the table next to them) - swim together. Keep in mind at the alaska ports there is so much to do that the 4 port days are more then 1/2 your cruise. We are hal devotees so I can't say enough and club hal has expanded over the past few yrs.

• 1 month later...

We are sailing on the Oosterdam on July 1 and have two boys ages 9 and 12. We have done Carnival (not impressed), Royal (like the kids program) , Princess without kids, and some others. This will be our first time on HAL. We are hoping thiere is enough kids for them all to have fun but not so many that they overrun the ship. Carnival!:eek:

LH from Illinois

We did a 50th anniversary for my inlaws on the Statendam to Alaska a couple of years ago. We had 4 children with us, ages 17, 13, 12 and 11.

We found that the cruise was so port-intensive that the kids never even went to any of the club HAL offerings. The 10 of us gathered for dinner each night in the main dining room. During the days, we went ashore on excursions, some ship sponsered, some not, some together, some not. We had a wonderful time. The kids, including cousins who don't see each other too much, loved watching movies in the cabin when they were free, ordering room service, and eating ice cream and pizza.

It was a spectacular family vacation. This would not be a cruise where you could expect to leave your kids in the care of others for most of the day. But, if you want to see an amazing part of the world with your family, I highly recommend it!!

Beth

Archived