PRIDE OF AMERICA!!!!! hawaii

emjayel56

I have been reading some very negative comments on the Pride of America in Hawaii. Has anyone had a good experience? Just booked a trip to Hawaii in July and started reading these negative comments so if you've had a decent experience PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Thanks

Maryjo

Maryjo,

I had an excellent cruise on the Pride of America... Went with 2 other single gal friends.... They have alot of issues they were working on as it was a new ship... Go, enjoy.... You'll have fun.... Here's a link to my review.....

http://www.cruise-critic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13147

My Mum, daughter and I were on the first POA cruise in July 05 and had a fantastic time. The food was great, service fantastic. We booked car rentals in all the ports ourselves and saved a lot of money. It's easy to get around and lots to do. The only thing we did via the ship was a luau in Maui, well worth the cost. Caron

Mary Jo,

My wife and I were on the POA two weeks ago and had a great time...excellent ship and excellent crew. Just bring ear plugs for the Hollywood Theater as the sound engineer believes that extremely high volume equals quality...he's in an enclosed booth and apparently has no idea how loud the volume actually is. Avoid the expensive shore excursions and just rent a car ($21 - $41 @ Alamo) on each island like we did. This turned out to be one of the cheapest and best vacations we ever took. Can't comment on the fancy restuarants as we never went in any of them...we ate every meal at the Aloha Cafe which was great. Saw many dolphins/whales. Our private balcony was the very best. Never saw a drop of rain and temps in the mid 80's every day. Bring suntan lotion. Enjoy yourself.

We had a good experience. I think it depends on what you are looking for and what you make of it. There are so many options and things to do on this cruise that you can't help but have a good time unless you are out to make yourself unhappy. I'm not saying everything is perfect, it is a more port intensive cruise, but I would still recommend this trip to others.

We just returned from 1-21-06 cruise. Had a great time, no complaints. The nighttime entertainment is less than other cruises, but your usually tired from a busy day, it really didn't matter to us. Definitely rent a car, it is easy driving and makes for a much better experience. Also recommend the Revealed books, worth every penny. Have a great time!

I will be sailing on the pride of hawaiii in august and was wondering how you were able to get the car rates at alamo or any where else for $21-41,i called them and they are quoting me 86.00 with a costco discount. any help would be appreciated .

We had such a great time on the Pride of America, we're sailing on her again. We never ate in specialty restaurants on any other cruise until we were on the POA, but we did try the Italian (no charge, but reservations required) and the Steak house. The $15 for the best filet mignon I have ever tasted was well worth it. We ate there twice. Enjoy yourself, and don't worry about what everyone else thinks. You're on a cruise, and you're in Hawaii. How bad could it be? Be sure to check out the murals on the staircases, especially those on the front of the ship.

Just got back from the POAM cruise. The ship was very nice and we really enjoyed it. The only bad part was the food in the dining room was not good. I`ve been on about 15 cruises, and never had a complaint about the food before (I`m not picky) Service was also slow. If I had known the dining room food was going to be a disappointment, I would have tried to get in those specialty restaurants. Maybe that is the way they want it so they make more money. Also, there was no such thing as freestyle dining. You couldn`t eat in the specialty restaurants and if you went to the dining room, you had to wait. What is freestyle about that? My question is, do all the NCL ships serve the same food? I

I have been reading some very negative comments on the Pride of America in Hawaii. Has anyone had a good experience? Just booked a trip to Hawaii in July and started reading these negative comments so if you've had a decent experience PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Thanks

Maryjo

We just returned yesterday and we had a wonderful time on this ship. Our stateroom had a balcony midship and was very comfortable. Our excursions off the ship were fun - to craters, volcanos,a waterfall hike and backroads adventure. We have previously traveled on Coral Princess where the food was all great. On the Pride of America the main dining room food was very good with the exception of the beef. If you order their steak, be certain to order it medium rare in order to get a piece thicker than 3/8 inch. The only night they had prime rib was on sailing day. Coral had more variety of food in the dining room. They had excellent desserts! Have fun!

lake michigan girl, did you book your excursions through the ship or on your own? If you booked through the ship can you elaborate because it seems most posting, rent cars.

We would like to do a mix; car rental on Maui for 2 days and excursions on the other islands. We like the concept of taking an excursion for a few hours and then relaxing back on board ship or relaxing in the morning then take an afternoon excursion.

Thanks for your help.

We had balcony cabin 10648. We had 2 single beds and a couch that folded out into a bed. Only two of us went, and even with 2, the cabin was tight. I can`t imagine 4 people to a cabin, unless you want a suite. Also, the bathroom was tight, even for one person. Getting dressed after a shower, reminded me a getting dressed in a tent, while camping. And I am short and not overweight. Also, the balcony was great for 2. You might even squeeze a 3rd person out there, but not a fourth.

• 1 month later...

Archived