Will be in Victoria 8- 2pm What could one do on such a short port day- WITH kids

MoyCoy

I have visited Victoria many times before.  But this will be my first time visiting with such a short port day.  We will be in Victoria the first week of October-- On the NCL Bliss.

We have in the past visited the Bug Museum.  But we are wondering , what other fun things can we do with active 8 year old twins-- in such a short period of time.

We considered Whale Watching. But I wonder if I should book this through the ship or on my own.  It is quite expensive through the cruise line.  Are there whale watching companies that are highly recommended in Victoria?

I once heard there is a Pirate Ship of some sort near Victoria, But I can't find anything about them online.

Are there any festivals etc.. happening the first week of October in Victoria?

Edited by MoyCoy

Have you been to Miniature World? If your children are into detailed replicas and models, they will enjoy it. It's next to the Empress Hotel.  There's also the Royal BC Museum. It's quite an interactive and immersive museum - not just looking at and reading about displays. Otherwise, just walking around the harbourfront and perhaps stopping at the Wax Museum is fun. 

Here's a link to --> family-friendly events in Victoria 

Edited by ell52
added link

The pirate ship may be a reference to a feature in the Saanich Commonwealth Pool. Open 5:30am-3pm for you and the kids on the Wednesday of your arrival. It is approximately 50min by bus, "#72 Swartz Bay Ferry via Saanichton", from the Parliament Building.

Or, it may also be a reference to a "ship-like" structure made of driftwood along the Songhees Walkway. Unfortunately, a storm knocked it down recently. There are plans to bring it back to life. Until then, the scraps remain along the shoreline.

My recommendation (with input from my son):

1. Take the cruise shuttle to the Empress Hotel

2. Take water taxi to the "Songhees Landing" stop

3. Walk the Songhees walkway towards the West Bay Marina and houseboats (2.3km). Step into Boom + Batten OR Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub for a treat.

4. Walk to Flying Squirrel (808 Viewfield Rd -- 1.2km further) for 1-hr of trampoline fun.

5. Take a taxi or public bus (kids ride free) back to the city centre. 

Enjoy your visit!

My husband reminded me about a Pirate Adventure boat tour we participated in a few years ago with our son. I had forgotten about it! Looks like the first tour of the day is at 11am and runs 75minutes. Staff is dressed in pirate costumes and the tour includes firing off water cannons. See info here http://www.pirateadventures.ca/