Pre cruise hotels for cape liberty

COCKYMARK

32 minutes ago, COCKYMARK said:

Any good ideas appreciated! thanks hopefully with shuttles.

Could you provide a lot more details?   Hotel budget?  Exact date(s) you need a hotel? Number of people?  Bed size requirements?  Flying into Newark?  Dinner requirements?  Sightseeing in NYC?

Newark airport is not a vacation destination.  Airport hotels offer a free hotel shuttle but  few hotels offer a paid shuttle service to Cape Liberty.  Many folks are using Uber/Lyft.  Some hotels offer free breakfast, but no other food service.  Only a few hotels are within walking distance of other restaurants.

Please answer the questions so folks can offer the best suggestions and strategies for your trip.

As a native New Yorker advising someone from North Carolina who wants some “good ideas”, I have to suggest that you come in  a couple of days before sailing - and stay in Manhattan.  Yes, it is more expensive than a North Jersey motel, but as long as you are coming this way, why not double up?

• Like 1

Yes we are coming in june to cruise on oasis of the seas...two of us. price really doesnt matter...was looking at elizabeth it looks like a good area. looks like there are a few hotels there. which would you recommend? also how many can you get a shuttle to the port?

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

As a native New Yorker advising someone from North Carolina who wants some “good ideas”, I have to suggest that you come in  a couple of days before sailing - and stay in Manhattan.  Yes, it is more expensive than a North Jersey motel, but as long as you are coming this way, why not double up?

We really can’t provide “good” ideas without some practical “details” to start with.  A strategy for staying in Manhattan precruise when sailing from Cape Liberty is completely different from a strategy to fly into Newark Airport to cruise the next morning.  My own personal Cape Liberty strategy in January involves train, public transit, and a nice inexpensive Manhattan or Jersey City hotel booked a year ahead.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:36 PM, navybankerteacher said:

As someone planning on doing exactly this, and has now sorted both the cruise and flights, do you have any particular reccomendations? Trip is happening in March, arriving on a Thursday afternoon, cruise setting off on the Sunday morning. Young (*cough*) couple currently planning on some sightseeing, and possibly catching a show, but not much more definite beyond that.

3 hours ago, Bibblejw said:

As someone planning on doing exactly this, and has now sorted both the cruise and flights, do you have any particular reccomendations? Trip is happening in March, arriving on a Thursday afternoon, cruise setting off on the Sunday morning. Young (*cough*) couple currently planning on some sightseeing, and possibly catching a show, but not much more definite beyond that.

Being there on a Thursday to Sunday in March 2020 means you wont have St. Patrick’s Day parade to avoid/enjoy; but weather is a real variable in March - you could have sunny and 70’s or slog through a typical end-of-Winter heavy snow (meaning spend the day at the Metropolitan Museum).  There is a huge range of hotels, but if you are budget conscious you might think about the Seton on East 40th, the Americana on West 38th, or (if brand name is important) the Hilton Garden on West 35th.

19th-30th (cruise starting on Sunday). Flying into JFK, happy to take advice on the rest, as I'm operating somewhat in the dark. It's a birthday holiday, so pushing the boat out a little is fine, but not really wanting to spend a grand a night in some of the hotels.

2 hours ago, Bibblejw said:

19th-30th (cruise starting on Sunday). Flying into JFK, happy to take advice on the rest, as I'm operating somewhat in the dark. It's a birthday holiday, so pushing the boat out a little is fine, but not really wanting to spend a grand a night in some of the hotels.

Overall prices look good for your dates.  What would be your target price range/night?  What are your sightseeing objectives?  Do you have a favorite hotel chain?  Sounds like midtown west (Times Square area) or Central Park South would be good areas for you. 

One of our forum contributors likes the Michelangelo which has a cancellable promotional special that  is $345/night when all taxes and “executive resort” fee are included.

Hotwire is offering a number of 4-5* hotels for reasonable prices if you’re willing to prepay the hotel.

If you have a target budget, I think you can get a good deal for your dates.

Not massively loyal to a particular chain. We've had decent experiences with Hilton and Radisson, but that's in the European versions, and we aren't really tied to them. 

Budget-wise, probably somewhere between the two posted. Looking at some of the deal sites here, average seems to be running at around £400-£600 (Park Central, Watson, Novotel, etc.) for the 3 nights, and that seems fairly reasonable to me.

As far as sightseeing goes, it'll be the first time there, so we'd like to make sure that we do some of the big ones at least (Empire State, Statue of Liberty, WTC, etc.), but we're also not opposed to some more niche-type excursions if they fit in with us (technology, codes and puzzles, largely). As I said, we're pretty much planning in the dark at the moment, and it is still a fair way off, so we're not trying to lock anything in right at the moment.