Is there enough time to do this???

mame2boyz

We will be docking in St Thomas at 9 a.m.

We also have the BOB excursion planned from 12:00 -3:30.

Will that allow us enough time to get over to St John for a bit after the BOB excursion??

Our boat leaves at 8 p.m.

Thanks!

Kendra

I just looked at http://*****/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#St.%20John%20Passenger%20Ferry:%20%20Red%20Hook%20to%20Cruz%20Bay and the last ferry leaves St. John at 3:45.

Sorry.

Here is a link to some beaches on St. Thomas. http://www.*****/stthomas/beaches_stt/index.php There are some nice ones there. You will have a great time!

You now have a reason that you need to go back there on another cruise! "Honey, I NEED to see St. John!"

Enjoy your cruise!

Hello,

Sheffie - I think you were looking just at the St. John-Charlotte Amalie departures. The Red Hook ferry runs into the night (11pm is the last one back to St. Thomas from St. John).

Kendra -If you can get on the 4pm ferry from Red Hook to St. John then you could get an hour and 45 minutes on St. John (that's returning on the 6pm ferry back to St. Thomas). If you miss the 4pm then I don't think it would be worth it; the next ferry would be at 5pm so you'd get to St. John at 5:15pm and you should come back on the 6pm to allow some 'error' time for getting back to the ship. If you took the 7pm back to St. Thomas, you'd get to St. Thomas around 7:15-7:20pm and in my opionion that's cutting it close for getting back to the ship for the ship's departure at 8pm.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Ok so let me make sure I get this right...

our cruise ship (carnival-Valor) will be docked at Havensight/Charlotte Amalie??

Then we will need to get a taxi to get to the red hook ferry that leaves at 4 p.m.

This will take us to St John (Cruz Bay)

We will then need to get a taxi to Trunk Bay??

Is this right???

Thanks! Just want to make sure I understand what I need to do since we'll be on a little time crunch.

:)

Kendra

Hello Kendra,

Most ships dock in Havensight; however there is also the Crown Bay dock and some ships anchor in the Charlotte Amalie harbor.

In any case; yes whichever place you are at you would need to take a taxi to Red Hook Ferry dock.

The Red Hook Ferry leaves every hour on the hour until midnight; you would want to catch the 4pm.

The ferry goes to Cruz Bay St. John.

At the ferry dock in Cruz Bay you'd take a taxi to Trunk Bay.

When you are ready to leave Trunk Bay you'd take a taxi back to Cruz Bay Ferry dock.

Also a quick note: I wrote that you'd get an hour and 45 minutes on St. John but part of this would be commuting time. If you were on the 4pm ferry you'd get to St. John around 4:15pm and it takes 12-15 to drive from Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay. So you'd get to Trunk Bay around 4:30pm. You should be at the ferry dock to catch the 6pm ferry at 5:40; 20 minutes prior to departure - there are some folks from St. Thomas that work on St. John and they usually are on the 5pm or 6pm ferries going back home after work. So basically you'd have about 50 minutes at Trunk Bay. Not sure its worth it??

--Islander

http://www.*****

Kendra: I have to agree with Islander. DH and I did Paradise Point and some "wandering" in the morning with my sister and BIL. Then our party split up. They did the afternoon marine sanctuary kayak/snorkel--and loved it. We're not quite that active, so we grabbed a taxi, but just missed the 11:00 ferry from Red Hook; we took the 12 oclock. We were at Trunk Bay by 12:40. We had to get a locker for our stuff and get ourselves together, so by the time we got in the water it was close to 1 pm. We had about 2 hours, as we wanted to take the 3:45 CA ferry back. We got to Cruz Bay in plenty of time (and maybe could have stayed at Trunk Bay 10 or 15 minutes more, but why chance it?). Even with almost 2 hours water/beach time, we felt incredibly rushed.

Next time we will go to St. John in the morning when the winds are lower and the water is clearest--not that it wasn't great, it really was. But by mid-afternoon, the wind and tides had kind of "churned" things up a bit.

IMO, it simply wouldn't be worth the effort for less than an hour at Trunk Bay and a lot of "rush, rush, rush."

beachchick

Archived