Galaxy Alternate Dining

d5480

Yes. Up in the Buffet area they will have alternative dining. Oasis Cafe area.

You just have to call in advance to tell them you will be there and what time.

It works out real well. As you get your chioce of appatizers and the Sushi bar is on the other side as is the Pizza place.

So you get a few more choices here.

I have been told the dinner menu selection is limited though.

The operative word is "alternative" rather than "specialty"

The "alternative" dining on Galaxy is sort of a step down, whereas the "specialty" dining on M-class ships, for example, is quite a step up. JMO.

GALAXY has Casual Dining, located in the Oasis Cafe during the evening meal seatings. It is not a buffet; guests are seated, order from a menu, and the area is transformed to a white tablecloth venue complete with flowers and all the requisite waitstaff. Meant for folks who just can't seem/don't want to comply with the dress code of the day, or for passengers with small children who have a hard time sitting through a fine dining experience of 1.5 hours or more.

You do have to call ahead to let them know you are choosing that venue. The deadline is 5 p.m. on the day you plan to dine there.

Cheers,

On a couple of occassions, we took advantage of the alternative dining option without reservations. We walked in around 6:30 - 7:00 and were seated immediately. Our experience may not be typical, but don't rule it out if you don't have reservations. A $2.00 per person tip is suggested.

The menu was different from the main dining rooms; I'd probably describe it as more casual, less "fancy." I can't remember what we ate, but it was tasty and the service was as attentive as in the main dining room. It's great to have an option if your assigned dinner time doesn't work for whatever reason.

Meant for folks who just can't seem/don't want to comply with the dress code of the day

I've got to admit that I'm troubled by statements like the one above, primarily because I think it's prejudiced and misguided. On our recent Galaxy voyage, we observed many people enjoying the alternative evening dining in the buffet area, regardless of the dress code prescribed for that evening. Twice we observed gentlemen in blazers dining at the alternative option on a "casual" night in the main dining room.

I suspect that for many cruisers, the appointed hour for "early seating" is too early, and the hour for "late seating" is too late.

For others, it's likely that they might be looking forward to a more "simple" meal than that offered in the main dining room, yet they still enjoy being served by a smiling and friendly member of the ship's staff.

There are plenty of other threads herein if you are intent on bashing Celebrity's inability to enforce its dress code.

I have been told the dinner menu selection is limited though.

Not very much more limited. Whereas we noted 5 entree selections in the main dining room each evening, the casual dining area tends to have 4. It's still a decent sit-down meal. It seemed, and has been confirmed, that the waiters there are often "in training" for the main dining room, but we found them (only 2 experiences in all of our cruises, though) to be friendly and efficient.

[I]original message:

Meant for folks who just can't seem/don't want to comply with the dress code of the day, or for passengers with small children who have a hard time sitting through a fine dining experience of 1.5 hours or more. [/i]

I am not sure if that is the correct interpretation! Sometimes people do not want to go at a certain time. Even if one wishes not to comply with the dress code, would you not rather have they go to the "alternative" dining areas? I would hate to think people are being judged on where they now wish to eat on their cruise.

One set of tablemates on our first cruise used the casual dining at least 3 times out of the 11 nights. We were all on one section of the same deck so they'd get word to the other 4 of us that they would not be present so we could go ahead and order. They said if they were tired, they didn't want to spend 2 hours being polite, when they could go to casual and get a table for two and finish more quickly. Said it was very nice.

Archived