On what cruiseline would you not even book your Mother-in-law?

flagger

Just as the question states. I know this is posted on an X board, but some people here are quite well travelled on other lines.

It is strange, we might have the bug as we were looking at our third cruise for the Med next Fall and we have yet to cruise on our first. We could hate it completely and realise it is not for us. And it might not be, after about day four of a traditional vacation we are both ready to come home. So we shall see.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

That is easy. I am not entirely fond of my MIL, so I wouldn't want her to book Celebrity. icon_biggrin.gif

Talk about wanting to abandon ship... icon_wink.gif

Mindi

boat.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;12;4;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation - Southern Caribbean

Infinity to Alaska 8-03 Review

Millennium to Eastern Carribbean 11-02

NCL and Carnival but based only on what I have read and not first hand experience.

Karen & Paul

kmbix56@wmconnect.com

8_3_23.gif

http://community.webshots.com/album/124134511FOjEih

Infinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;06;27;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Galaxy B2B 10/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;16;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Mercury Mexican Riviera 03/04

Radiance Eastern Caribbean 01/04

Summit Alaska and Pacific Coast 09/03

Infinity B2B Hawaii 03/03

Infinity Panama Canal 10/02

Maasdam Eastern Caribbean 07/02

Sun Princess Partial Canal Transit 03/02

Maasdam Western Carribbean 11/01

Statendam Alaska 07/01

Dolphin Eastern Caribbean 1990?

I think we are mean here about Carnival...I read some good reviews lately.

It's different for my family. I am a very loyal person and was trying to invite my mother-in-law to cruise with us on HAL..

Now, my husband doesn't really want his mother to control the amount of the food he eats during the cruise, so my attemts were unsuccessfull. icon_eek.gif

She asked me to book her(and her friend) on some European cruise which should include French Reviere, cause she traveled in Italy alot and isn't interested in Rome and Florence. It's no easy task as almost every cruise spends alot of times in Italy.

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

In the last 10 yrs Carnival has really changed. One of the two best youth programs along with Royal Caribbean. DR food on Carnival is at least as good as RCCL and in some things considerably better. Both RCCL and Carnival have the same demographics. 30% 55 and older, 30% under 30. It seems that some live to bash the largest and most sucessful cruiseline, either having cruised them many yrs ago or even some that have never set foot on their ships.

It's actually good to see someone sticking up for Carnival. You got guts! icon_wink.gif

I have never sailed it, don't think I really want to, but I HAVE heard some nice things about the new class of ships & their service being improved. If they were the only line offering an itinerary that I absolutely HAD to sail, I guess I might give them a try. I would never not take a cruise somewhere I was dying to go just because Carnival was the only line sailing it. I would at least give them the benefit of the doubt & my first hand try!

Just MHO!!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

In terms of carnival,it was THAT horrible : )

We went on our honeymoon 5 years ago and were surrounded by blue collar joes and their love for budweiser in a can. I think the best part was getting hit in the head with a serving tray the first night and requiring 15 stitches above the eye. It didn't get much better after that. We're trying our second cruise in two weeks, and hope it is far more enjoyable

I'd give the defunct Greek line Epirotiki a rebirth and put her on the Triton.

Last I read, Triton is still sailing for Royal Olympic. I certainly hope they fixed her up a lot.... When I sailed her in the late '80's she was an old beat-up ship. (I still enjoyed the cruise!)

Sue

sueclark@aol.com

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

Carnival and NCL, in that order....

That said, and recognizing that recent years may have brought much needed change to Carnival, poor reputations are hard to live down.

Friends who have been on Carnival in recent years (one couple just last fall) report "it wasn't too bad." But they wouldn't necessarily go again unless it was on one of the new class of ships.

My personal experience dates to Nov, 1995, which virtually poisoned my opinion for lo these many years. I've never seen such a drunk and disorderly bunch! A large number of the uncouth passengers rioted on the pier in Cozumel when Mexican police tried to prevent them from being in dangerous territory while a Royal ship was tying up opposite.

Every port we went on that cruise I was asked in the shops if I were a Carnival passenger. The questions were most intense in Georgetown, Grand Cayman. Finally, I asked a shopkeeper why? Imagine how my face fell when she flatly responded, "Because we despise Carnival ships, and if you're one of their passengers you won't be served."

Sad.

I like my MIL, but I know what you are getting at. Our worst experience has been Costa.

MPICKETT2000, while we are partial to HAL and are contemplating our first cruise on X, I am baffled by your comment about Carnival. We have sailed with them 3 times, twice on longer itineraries including a 15 night cruise in Europe, Iceland ,disembarking in NYC. I would hardly compare it to a trailer park, and I assume you use that in a negative context.If you are alluding to drinking, we have found no more drinking on our Carnival cruises than on other Cruise Lines.

Oceanbreeze -October 1995-5 night W. Caribbean

Destiny -May 1999-7 night Eastern Caribbean

NCL Majesty- August 2000 -7 night Bermuda

NCL Sun-November 2001-13 night Repo Boston to MIA

Paradise-May 2002- 10 nights S Caribbean

Carnival Legend-Sept 2002-15 night Transatlantic Crossing

Royal Olympia Voyager-Feb 2003-15 night Amazon River

Rotterdam- June 2003-7 night Canada-New England

Enchantment of the Seas-Sept 1 2003-5 nights Cozumel and Belize

Costa Mediterranea- December 14 2003 Western Caribbean

Oosterdam-March 14th 2004- 7 nights Eastern Caribbean

Westerdam Nov 12 2004- 17 nights Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale

OK folks, just because I am honest, I WILL be honest---I would never book my MIL on any line I was on!!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Could NOT do it!!! Sorry! Love her, don't want to travel with her!

Rosie

E-mail me <a href="mailto:JNLROSE@AOL.COM">here</a href>

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;26;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Look out MERCURY Here we come!!!

September 19, 2005--"Millie in the Med"--We're there!

Flagger:

On a humorous note does this have anything to do with your thread last night about the insurance where you said you would go even if someone in your family died.

I went with my mother in law last year on a cruise so I guess my answer is Celebrity but I love my MIL so it doesn't matter.

In the spirit of the question if I didn't like her I would send her on Celebrity's Meridian.

Don

Mortgagechick,

I enjoy a good drink or glass of wine as much as the next guy, however there's a difference between that and downing cases of natty light and budweiser......i hadn't seen that many beer cans in a hallway since my fraternity house

and this surprises you marti? there are a lot of snobs here, pickett proves that. i'd be very careful about the blue collar remarks, our money is green too and can buy a cabin next to yours.

"live long and prosper...so you may cruise!"

Skyward/Starward/Carla Costa/Meridian x3/Enchanted Isle x5/Enchanted Seas/Horizon x2/Zenith/Galaxy/Norway x3/Nor.Sun x2/Nor. Wind/Nor. Majesty/Nordic Prince/Oceanbreeze x3/Seabreeze x2/Seawind Crown/Islandbreeze

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dkjretired:

Flagger:

On a humorous note does this have anything to do with your thread last night about the insurance where you said you would go even if someone in your family died. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it actually has more to do with the fact that we have not yet taken our first cruise, but booked a second. Then today we started talking about now that we are getting our daughter a passport, wouldn't a Med or Baltic cruise be fun. Then we started talking about Disney and the eastern Carib. So I wanted to find out about other lines.

As far as Carnival, my MIL has been on Elation twice out of Galveston and has had a great time both cruises. I do think getting balconies for these cruises will limit us from ever getting an inside. I am extremely claustrophobic so a balcony was the only way I was ever going to cruise.

Who knows, we could hate it completely. I mentioned before that after about four days we are both ready to come home so we shall see what happens in September. We are both really excited about it even though we found out today her current release date for this job is while we are on our cruise. We are going no matter what because this particular company for which Ms. Flagger's company has the contract tends to change its build plans daily if not hourly.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Archived