Port Canaveral

pxy cda

Hi,

We are sailing on the Grandeur May 12 and are wondering what excursions are worthwhile.

We are interested in the Citrus Grove/Cocoa Beach excursion ($34) and wonder if anyone here has taken this tour and feedback please. The tour of the citrus grove looks neat and the town looks like a nice little spot (kind of like a niagara on the lake ambiance methinks ??) to poke around

Looked at Universal but it looks like a long bus ride (likely with overstimulated/excited kids :eek: )and not much time to do the park justice (plus not being a big "rider" Im not sure what I'd get from it:p )

Or is there something we're missing? We're not big beach bums (and figure we'll dock enough beach time in bahamas, cozumel and costa maya) and to give you an idea, we'll be taking dave and ivans trip in costa maya (tour of the ruins) and likely just do some independent shopping/exploring in cozumel.

I grew up on Merritt Island, the city next to Cocoa Beach, which is where Citrus Groves is located. We had an orange grove behind our house. I can't see this as a tour or of any interest to kids...JMHO...I would recommend taking a tour of Kennedy Space Center, much more educational and exciting even for kids. Depending on how long your stop is, you could do this on your own since it is only a few miles from the port. It has come a long way since my father worked there at Cape Canaveral.

I grew up on Merritt Island, the city next to Cocoa Beach, which is where Citrus Groves is located. We had an orange grove behind our house. I can't see this as a tour or of any interest to kids...JMHO...I would recommend taking a tour of Kennedy Space Center, much more educational and exciting even for kids. Depending on how long your stop is, you could do this on your own since it is only a few miles from the port. It has come a long way since my father worked there at Cape Canaveral.

Thanks for responding - actually we are DINKS (Double Income NO KIDS) so what appeals to kids is of no concern to us. I.E - The Citrus grove/Cocoa Beach is still very appealing - can you tell me more about the town? Is it easy to get to from the port or should we take the tour (I think it would be neat to tour a citrus grove - kind of like a wine tour up here in ontario where you get to see the whole process - yes insert geek alert here!:D ) Is it kind of a quaint little beach town with shops/boutiques? This is what I envision.

Thanks for responding - actually we are "DINKs" (Double Income NO KIDS) so what appeals to kids is of no concern. The Citrus grove/Cocoa Beach is still very appealing - can you tell me more about the town? Is it easy to get to from the port or should we take the tour (I think it would be neat to tour a citrus grove - kind of like a wine tour up here in ontario (canada) where you get to see the whole process - yes insert geek alert here!:D ) Is it kind of a quaint little beach town with shops/boutiques? I am thinking it would be nice to do the tour and then spend some time on the beach - is the beach easily accessible from the town? How far/cost is a taxi back to the pier?:

here's a description of the tour:

Learn about the Florida space coast! On this guided tour you'll visit a working Citrus Grove and learn about this important industry to Florida. Sample fresh Florida orange juice as well as other local tropical fruits. You'll have the opportunity to browse the gift shop before re-boarding your coach to Cocoa Village.

Historical Cocoa Village is situated on the Indian River, which is also known as the Intercoastal Waterway. During a brief walking tour, you'll learn of the importance of the waterway to the Citrus industry as well as the history and architecture that is unique to Cocoa Village. You'll have time to stroll the quaint streets and explore the unique cornucopia of boutiques and shops or enjoy a refreshment at one the cafes or restaurants

I laughed when I read the tour description. I even googled Cocoa Village and still don't know "where" it is. Maybe it's just a generalization of the area and glamorized like most places. JMHO, there is nothing special but to someone else it could be paradise. Yes it is a very small area (10 miles up the 520 to Cocoa) and easy to get around on your own but not sure about seeing the groves if you want to. There is plenty of beach access and good restuarants/food at the Cocoa Beach Pier which is approximately 2-3 miles from the port.

• 3 weeks later...

Go to www.cocoavillage.com

It is the quaint village that you are imagining. I have been there. Sounds like a tour for you, that you would really enjoy, I'd go for it.

If you are beach people, Cocoa Beach is beautiful too. The pier isn't quite as nice, I prefer Shepards Park, which is about one mile up from the pier, you could walk to it from the pier. You could take a cab from the port (cheap) to the pier, just to see it, and then walk up to Shepards Park to go to the beach. Full facilities, and resturant there.

Another suggestion would be to take a cab from port to Coconuts on the Beach. (this is more towards Cocoa Beach Center). It is the "party" place of Cocoa Beach. Sits right on the beach. Great food & drink & entertainment.

There is the City of Cocoa Beach, and the City of Cocoa. They are two seprate places. The city of Cocoa is a little further away from the port. You could also check out www.cocoabeach.com

Have fun! I LOVE Cocoa Beach!

If you are interested in the space program at all, KSC is also a great place to go for the day (for adults). Very interesting & lots to see if you'd rather not do the beach. It IS very touristy thou.

Wow thanks for all the info www.coolcruiser! That is fantastic. I think we'll do the citrus tour (3 1/2 hours) and then spend the balance at the pier.

Sounds like a nice day!

Thanks for the feedback - I do like the sound of touring the citrus grove.

Archived