Transportation from Civitavecchia to Rome

Well it's a little over an hour from the airport as I understand it. I am just a little over an hour from where we live to NYC - if I take a car to the airport it's $250 so....$130 Euro isn't so bad to me.

We went in by train for the day and it was great... I might even attempt it with luggage if the hotel is close to the Termini in Rome (we are used to schlepping our luggage around. :) )

If you go by train, you will likely need to take a taxi from the port to the train station (as it's a 15 minute walk from where the shuttle bus drops you off... and much too far to walk from the ship itself) and again from the train station to the hotel. Not sure how much this would amount to, but probably a min. of 15E per taxi, plus 9E each for train tickets... so there could be quite a cost savings by train if you don't mind the 'adventure'.

MAB, that is a good price if it is by car. Getting of in Nov, we had booked nothing & were on a big ship not docked on pier but across at container port. No taxis allowed inside, so had to rely on senior baggage handler to phone one for us. They obviously have a deal & a mini bus turned up with our name (security only lets them in port if they have a large sheet of paper with clients name on it). Price in baggage area had been said as 150-180 euro, driver wanted lot more! had to negotiate down to 200 euro!! This was for 4 persons + 4 bags.

I did the train from Rome Airport to Civitavechia in 04 and found it relatively easy and cheap.

The trains in Italy run on time (Mussolini to thank) although that doesn't mean they don't go on strike!.

Check out www.trenitalia.it for timings.

There were loads of taxis at Civitavechia to take us to the port and since I can't remember how much it cost it must have been reasonable (dropped us at the ship)

The only drawback is you have to change trains once if travelling from the airport (FCO). If you're travelling from Rome Termini it's direct.

The train is obviously the cheapest way to go, but it can be a hassle with luggage - very crowded with cruise passengers. Also do NOT count on gettting a taxi to take you from the poier to the ship - there are none to be had unless you prearranged it, if in fact that is possible for such a relatively short trip. But it's not short when you're hauling luggage. The shuttle from the ship will only take you to the end of the pier and from there it's probbaly 1/4 to 1/2 a mile to the station. If you can get a taxi arranged to pick you up, you'll probably have to pay him about 20 euro to make the short trip - that's what we had to pay on the way to the cruise. The price yiou were quoted to Rome, while expensive, is probably about right.

Archived