QM2 West Coast itinerary unchanged

joeinsb

My wife just got off the phone with Cunard (at 10 a.m. HST) and was told "absolutely" that there are no changes to the QM2's West Coast itinerary. When asked when the ship would be taken out of service for repairs, the Cunard rep said she wouldn't be taken out of service because the repairs would take only a few hours and would probably be done when the ship returns to the East Coast from its South American cruise--after the Hawaii voyage.

When my wife asked if the ship had to be drydocked to make the repairs, the Cunard rep said, "No."

"Can they put the propeller back on underwater?" my wife asked.

"Well, they took it off underwater," the rep said.

"But it would seem more difficult to put something on underwater than to take it off."

"Well, it certainly isn't boring," the rep said. :)

Interesting............ but.............. on the return from the South American voyage on arrrival in New York (at Brooklyn) on April 15 at 06.30am ............ it then departs for Southampton the same day at 5.00pm. No time there for any work!

Which leads me to ask............ if it is all so simple............. why would they wait until return to the East coast????

Why not replace it somewhere sooner???

The original Cunard press release after the "incident" spoke of repairs at each port of call until it was 100%......... maybe that is still the plan!

We will all just have to wait and see.

Interesting............ but.............. on the return from the South American voyage on arrrival in New York (at Brooklyn) on April 15 at 06.30am ............ it then departs for Southampton the same day at 5.00pm. No time there for any work!

Which leads me to ask............ if it is all so simple............. why would they wait until return to the East coast????

Why not replace it somewhere sooner???

The original Cunard press release after the "incident" spoke of repairs at each port of call until it was 100%......... maybe that is still the plan!

Well, South Hampton was my DH's prediction for repair. I would guess that since the manufacturer of the azipod is in Germany (? someone correct me if I misunderstood) it might be easier for them to make repairs while in Europe. The dry dock facilities (if needed....and according to this rep they're not) are certainly available in other areas but maybe not the crew, the parts or the expertise. Since she's such a unique vessel I don't think just any old repair team would do :)

Come to think of it, it may be a whole lot easier for them to do repairs while she's in the water. I'm told that little azipod is many tons of weight. Working in the water would make it a lot easier to deal with.

Emu and Stellarchef, we'll all have to wait and see. Earlier, some posters had written about drydocking QM2. It ain't that easy. I read, either on this board or another that Freedom of the Seas, which just launched, was supported by something like 200 blocks and that it took a day or more just to flood the dock. This leads me to believe that docking the QM2 would be a daunting task.

BTW, I watched a History? Channel feature on superships and found it quite informative. The show spotlighted Hyundai's shipyard In Korea, said to be the world's largest and responsible for something like 60 newbuilds a year. Not to brag (well, OK), but I was lucky to visit that yard while on a car intro about 15 years ago. Really impressive (the yard, not necessarily the car).:)

I just got my ticket for the west coast break today:D and my travel agent says that the ship is not having any problems keeping to the ajusted schedule.. :) I should be getting my tickets for the Royal Hawiian Liner next week....

I am keeping my fingers crossed, right now life is good.

All for now, Tom in Long Beach.

Very true. A while back QM2 had part of her Turbine engine replaced while she was along side in.....Oslo - a dock chosen because there was plenty of space alongside so they could get a crane in to lift the part up to the funnel housing. So far the QM2 seems to be doing between 23.5 - 25.8 knots, though as thats speed overall there may be some component of current in there:

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=GBQM

Peter

Well, here I am up an Alp in sunny Austria, And guess what? My friends from the Caribbean who are in the cruise business and who are skiing with me, tell me that their friend is an engineer who has just got off QM2, and he has been in touch with the ship on a daily basis. And he says "the only place she can be repaired is in Germany".

So I say, "That's interesting, she was built in France. Are they unable to repair her there?"............. silence.

The fact is, the propellers will have to be changed, not a big job, one or two days, but then, more importantly, there will have to be sea trials to see if the azipod itself is damaged. If it is, then you are looking at the drydock scenario. Aren't the azipods made in Finland? Anyway they can be airfreighted to wherever.

I think it's a shame Cunard are not more forthcoming about exactly what's happening. Perhaps they don't know!

My friends said they thought Ron Warwick was in command when QE2 hit the uncharted rock off Martha's Vineyard years ago. Talk about bad luck.

Anyway they can be airfreighted to wherever.

I think it's a shame Cunard are not more forthcoming about exactly what's happening. Perhaps they don't know!

If they do have a mass of over 200 tons (as posted on another thread) ............ would require a heavy lift aircraft (Antonov?) and then most likely broken down into parts.

More than likely, I agree that it could be corect that new blades may be fitted in future ports, and then tested for vibration, before an ultimate decision is made.

I will be seeking out an engineer on our voyage LA - NY and asking heaps of questions about the damage etc.

Anyway, now have tickets and shore books (all arrived together yesterday) so just looking forward to boarding on March 8.;)

"Can they put the propeller back on underwater?" my wife asked.

"Well, they took it off underwater," the rep said.

"But it would seem more difficult to put something on underwater than to take it off."

"Well, it certainly isn't boring," the rep said. :)

Ha, ha, ha!! My kids are doing survival in their swimming lessons. It's reasonably easy to take your *clothes* off in the water, but they don't even attempt to put them back on underwater!

Sandy

ps...I like the rep's answer that it isn't boring. Very clever.

I have been checking the boards everyday since this happened. Finally some good news - now I can start packing since we are leaving on 2/18 to go to Palm Springs first before boarding on the 22nd. After someone posted early on that there were alot of Cunard people on this trip and it would be a big PR disaster to cancel, I had a feeling this 3-day would work out. Thanks for calling!

If they do have a mass of over 200 tons (as posted on another thread) ............ would require a heavy lift aircraft (Antonov?) and then most likely broken down into parts.

Good luck Emu- I know you're looking forward to the return around the horn sailing

As for the Pod/Screw- I am sure it would not be airlifted. It would likely be brought to where it is needed by cargo vessel! Just my guess, anyway. I really don't know.

And a reminder to folks. This isn't an azipod. It is a stationary pod. In the very least, I would think that that simplifies things somewhat (probably reduces costs too) Since this pod doesn't rotate (or have a 360 degreee azimuth) you are only dealing with the screw itself, and presumably the shaft. (hopefully nothing deeper than that)

Karie

Who learned everything she knows about pods and azipods from the fine folks here!

Archived