What sets a world cruise apart?

arielmomma

21 hours ago, kazzie said:

I did a world cruise on the QV a while back... I was in my mid 40s. Many of the 'elderly' passengers were great fun to be with and incredibly interesting.  I'd do it again in a heart beat x 

Glad you had a great experience. I, too, enjoy interacting with individuals from all generations. I love speaking to those with far more life experience (and wisdom) than I. That's one of my favorite aspects of cruising - interacting with people from all walks of life.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, arielmomma said:

On my 1st QM2 sailing, I had the privilege of sailing with a woman who was writing a book about cruise dining. During her research, we learned that Cunard has a 28 day rotating menu in the main dining room. Yes, some dishes repeat, but there is a lot of variety.

I, too, am a bit concerned about the repeating of daytime activities with each segment. However, the kind and informative folks here are helping to put my concerns at ease.

I am sad about the lack of male dance hosts though.

I can tell you that that there are dance hosts throughout the entire  world cruise even though changes along the way.  Do not worry!!!

Deck Chair

On 10/28/2019 at 1:40 PM, deck chair said:

I can tell you that that there are dance hosts throughout the entire  world cruise even though changes along the way.  Do not worry!!!

Deck Chair

Thank you for the reassurance. Ballroom dancing is one of my favorite activities at sea!

• 4 weeks later...

I did the full world cruise on the QM2 in 2018 as a single woman and loved every minute.  The ship has so much to offer, a wonderful combination of activities and leisure.  The people on every segment are interesting and there is a dedicated lounge for the world cruise guests so you see some of the world cruisers every day and become a familiar community.

Many of the waiters and room service people will offer to do "out of the ordinary" things for you as they get to know you, and I truly miss many of the staff. 

Due to the expense the 2018 cruise was supposed to be "one & done" but all I can think of is how to get myself aboard again... sigh....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, momzcruzing said:

I did the full world cruise on the QM2 in 2018 as a single woman and loved every minute.  The ship has so much to offer, a wonderful combination of activities and leisure.  The people on every segment are interesting and there is a dedicated lounge for the world cruise guests so you see some of the world cruisers every day and become a familiar community.

Many of the waiters and room service people will offer to do "out of the ordinary" things for you as they get to know you, and I truly miss many of the staff. 

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a wonderful experience.

22 hours ago, momzcruzing said:

Due to the expense the 2018 cruise was supposed to be "one & done" but all I can think of is how to get myself aboard again... sigh....

This is what I'm afraid of. I've never been very good at "one & done" when it comes to vacations.

23 hours ago, momzcruzing said:

Many of the waiters and room service people will offer to do "out of the ordinary" things for you as they get to know you

I believe that is strictly forbidden? 😉

After many weeks together our dining room waiter would bring us scallops if we requested a day or two ahead, tho I  doubt we could do that every day. 

My room service waiter brought me "my usual" on disembarkation day which is not the norm (no room service for those disembarking) 

I took the "behind the scenes" full tour of the ship and the medical center was experiencing an emergency, so the tour skipped that stop.   I mentioned my disappointment to our concierge and received an hour long private tour of the medical center... which was amazing. 

As world cruisers we had our own concierge and they would do what they could for you, within reason.  Cunard made me feel very special.  I realize that if I scrape together a few dollars and do a few back-to-back segments the "extra mile" that was extended to us as world cruisers will not be available to me.  

• Like 1

A "World Cruise" is a cruise around the World by a ship. It is sold as a "World Cruise " at the point of departure eg UK - and there will be a large number of people from the point of departure signed onto that cruise . BUT - that cruise around the World by that ship will also be sold as a number of smaller segments, starting at many places around the World. So - If a segment starts in the US, you can bet there will be a LOT of Americans boarding there, if it starts in South Africa, there will be lots of South Africans boarding there.  Australia" ??  well Aussies love Cunard and there will be LOTS of them boarding if a segment starts or finishes anywhere near Australia 🙂 I was on a Cunard World voyage once and a  quite old British "Dame" said to me - This is my 10th World Voyage with Cunard . I just LOVE IT when we reach Australian waters and the ship is overrun by Australians - the whole atmosphere of the ship "lifts" 🙂 Obviously some people will enjoy this demographic change as the ship proceeds around the Globe - but others WILL NOT!!!!

Bazzaw, your point is very true, the whole atmosphere of the ship changed with each change in continent and it was a lot of fun.  Americans were never the majority.  First British, then Aussies, South Africans, Asians then ending with Brittish.  And much of the food and entertainment changed with them.  I thought that was one of the nicest parts of the experience, tho I still don't understand British humor.  Often the movie shown each evening would reflect the part of the world we were in.

All in all very few children aboard but on some of the shorter segments there would be more little ones.   

9 hours ago, momzcruzing said:

Bazzaw, your point is very true, the whole atmosphere of the ship changed with each change in continent and it was a lot of fun.  Americans were never the majority.  First British, then Aussies, South Africans, Asians then ending with Brittish.  And much of the food and entertainment changed with them.  I thought that was one of the nicest parts of the experience, tho I still don't understand British humor.  Often the movie shown each evening would reflect the part of the world we were in.

This is great to hear. I look forward to interacting with people of all ages from all over the world. Isn't that what world cruising is all about?