Crusing with teens

Fire Chief

I posted above regarding July. We are doing the Western Carib, on RCI we have not done Alaska. I have heard that is not a great choice for teens,at least mine will not go. They love the Caribbean.We have done HAL and RCI and are sticking to RCI way more for them to do and a much younger crowd all the way around.

We have cruised many, many times with our (now) teen daughter. I see you are a Floridian, as are we....

Last year we cruised Alaska the 2nd week of June (I had won the trip and had no choice of dates). There were about 40 kids on the Carnival Spirit.

Alaska is absolutely breathtaking, and I can say this as a well-travelled family who has cruised Asia and Europe, and South America, too--Alaska will blow you away! However, I must confess that Alaska cruises do have their share of geezers--way more than a Caribbean cruise! The year before last we sailed the Caribbean Princess (Eastern Caribbean) in July, and there were 900 kids on board!

If I can suggest something, try to book an Alaska cruise during the height of the season--July or up through August. You will have more kids onboard--but not enough to disrupt the cruise.

We thought our daughter would be bored with Alaska, she's not a wildlife type of person, by any stretch. Boy, were we ever wrong! Two weeks after our Alaska cruise we travelled throughout Europe for 7 weeks straight, and with the exception of Paris, she still regards Alaska as the most awe-inspiring of places she has ever visited.

Take your girls and have a great time.

We are on RCI the end of July to Alaska...my 2 teens (17 &18 by then) cant wait! We have had a lot of fun looking for excursions and researching the ports. I think you teens will enjoy it.:D

All their friends are asking us to 'adopt' them for the summer. And my girls love telling their firends..."Sorry, cant make any plans for that week...I'll be in Alaska":p

My DD, then age 13, went with us to Alaska last summer. We had a great time. Since we traveled at the end of May/early June, we didn't expect many teens on board (our school year ends very early!). It was our first cruise, so I can't really compare our trip to other cruises. We (including DS) realized that we weren't going to Alaska for the ship itself, we were going there to see things that we hadn't seen before - wildlife, glaciers, and history. We were off-ship for most of the day in every port. Evernings we were all pretty tired. There were some teen club activities that DS attended, but he also enjoyed watching sports and movies in our room, meeting other teens in the video arcade, etc. He definitely enjoyed being able to eat at all hours of the day!

• 4 weeks later...

My DH and i were married onboard the Radiance of the Seas and then took my 2 kids (ages 9 and 15) with us to Alaska.

THEY LOVED IT!!!

lots of other kids for them to meet and "hang" with, wonderful sights to see, and the Food!!! Feeding a 15 yr old boy can be a challenge but RCCL was up to the task.

my kids now say they don't care where the Ship goes as long as they are on it because that is where the fun happens:)

Archived