pop

cantfindaname

Yes, you can bring soda on board. Just keep in mind that those mini-fridges don't really keep things that cold.
I see what the crew bring back (evidently they all prefer different flavors than those X supplies or like the local port prices better?!) and you'd think the ship would sink!

Anyway -- just a note. We were on Galaxy recently in 1202, and the fridge was actually COLD! We also had a cold one on Galaxy a few years back in one of the FO cabins. We've yet to have a cold fridge in any M-Class cabins, though. Am beginning to think there's a trend here.

For things we've needed to keep truly cold vs. cool, we've always been able to talk the cabin steward or butler out of all the ice we could find a way to use. The sink can be inconvenient, and the trash can gets strange looks, but sometimes it's the best you can do.

I will be on the Galaxy Feb 13th. I have read several posts about the minibar fridges not being cold. I have diabetic medicine that needs to be refrigerated between 36 and 46 degrees. Does anyone know if I should be concerned?
One can hope that it will be as simple as putting it in the fridge, as our past and recent experience in this regard was quite positive on Galaxy, but obviously we don't know about all of the fridges in all of the cabins. You may find it necessary to speak with your cabin steward about the use of ice or an alternative fridge. Many people have similar issues aboard ship, and they'll find a way to take care of it if you can't do it the "easy way".

Canderson, thanks for your quick answer. Naturally I was hoping for the easy way. Just put it in the fridge....I am not new to cruising but this is the first time traveling with refrigerated medicine. I really never took notice to how cold the minibar was. I guess if I have a problem someone will help me with it.

Canderson, thanks for your quick answer. Naturally I was hoping for the easy way. Just put it in the fridge....I am not new to cruising but this is the first time traveling with refrigerated medicine. I really never took notice to how cold the minibar was. I guess if I have a problem someone will help me with it.
You bet they will. A careful (but difficult) search of the boards here will turn up prior discussion of this topic. Insulin is one of the more common refrigerated meds that come up. The good news is that you're not travelling on one of the M-Class ships. They're notorious for "tepid" fridge temperatures. No chance you'd have any luck with those! They tend to be what I'd call "red wine" temperature. One solution I'd heard there was to place a couple of full ice buckets in the fridge to help maintain a lower temperature, keeping the meds in the bottom of the fridge. The cabin steward changed out the ice a couple of times a day.

It's even worse than that, it's not insulin, it's Byetta, a new injectable medication that needs to be refrigerated ALL the time. Insulin can be left out now and then. I did a search and found one poster that said if you have a medication need they can "alter" the fridge to run colder. Wouldn't that be nice? I'm not going to count on that though. Worse case scenario would be to have the room steward and/or butler bring it to me every morning and every evening and keep it in their own pantry. I don't like to make someone else responsible for my medication and hope I can resolve the issue in another way. Just getting it to the cruise ship cold is a monumental hurdle with 2 days of traveling ahead of boarding.

It's extremely important that Byetta not be frozen. This will ruin it. A mini fridge should be cold enough, especially in the back. I would suggest bringing one of those little refrigerator thermometers just to ease your mind. There are many types of chilled travel containers for insulin bottles that you could use for your pens when traveling. These typically contain one of those gel-filled plastic containers that you freeze beforehand. I personally (I'm not a doctor) would recommend wrapping the pens in some fabric to insulate against freezing in the container. Then keep the insulator frozen on the ship (with Stewart's help) and it should keep the area of mini fridge where the pens are cold enough.

Juneau, thanks for the info, most people have never even heard of this medication. A thermometer is a great idea, that way I don't have to "guess" if it's cold enough and then if it's not I can make other arrangements. I did buy a special insulin carrier with a blue thing inside that you freeze. I called my TA too, the cruise line, the airline, the hotels, everyone is saying they will accomodate me in every way. I hope so, there is certainly no way to replace this medicine on a cruise.

Hawaii April (we go next month), I don't really know what I'm talking about, but that has never stopped me from sharing my thoughts before;) :D

Perhaps you could arrange through guest services for you medication to be kept at the medical facility on board and dispensed to you per the dosage. That way, you would know that folks familiar with the meds would be maintaining it.

Also, as far as transporting it, I am assuming you are flying out of Pittsburgh. I don't know how big the package is or the shape, but would it be possible to put it in a good thermos with a supply of ice, and simply have the cabin attendant provide more ice as needed? Those things really do keep stuff hot or cold for a long period, and it should be easy to scrounge ice about anywhere.

Anyway, as far as pop, we take a carryon bag loaded with pop, and replenish at ports as needed. The bonus is that we then have an extra bag which is handy for stuff we buy on the trip, dirty clothes, or simply to make it easier and quicker to fit everything in the bags for the return trip home.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Hawaiiapril,

My husband just started on byetta and this is our first vacation traveling with medicine that needs to be refrigerated. I'm a little concerned as we are on the Connie and have not heard great reports about their frig's.

Where did you get the insulin carrier? Is it large enough to hold several pens? How long will it keep things cold? Sorry for all the questions but I'm concerned that his medication make the plane trip.

Also, speaking of planes. As this is the first we are traveling with this medication, has anyone ever had a problem with carrying diabetic supplies on airplanes? He does have to carry a supply of needles.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

I have a "fanny" pack that has a styrophone box inside and inside the box is a freezer pack with a cut out shape of my medication pen. I just freeze the blue pack and I'm ready to go. The carrier also has a couple of pockets for needles and other meds. I bought the carrier on line. Sorry I don't remember the brand name. I found it just by doing a couple of searches. It was really quite expensive (almost $100 with the spare freezer pack and shipping). I haven't given much thought to the needles but DH is TSA so if he can't tell me if I have a problem then no one can. The needles are not syringes, just tiny little "pin" type things with plastic covers. I don't think I could hijack a plane with one. The problem with the carrier is that the ice pack needs to be refrozen at some point. I have used a thermos with ice but that can cause the pen to freeze, that is why I bought the carrier. I can't keep the pen directly in ice. Ice is readily available, but it's the freezer I need....if the fridge is not cold enough I could have the cabin steward keep one of the freezer packs frozen for me and keep exchanging them every day, then I wouldn't need the fridge at all. Anyway, I would rather know my options now than have to worry about it on my cruise!

Goldmom- I'm a Type 1 diabetic and carry tons of syringes, insulin bottles, testing supplies, glucose tablets, etc., etc. with me all the time and have never been questioned. I was a little nervous when I went through security the first time after 9/11 but no one batted an eye. I just did a cooler search for you and saw a bunch of them at Amazon.com. That's the link I pasted up above. Have a great vacation!:cool:

*** Whoops! Please add "sulin%20cooler" to the end of the link.***

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll check out the website. I appreciate everyone's imput. I'm trying to anticipate any problems and have a back-up plan, but I know I wouldn't be able to cover everything. Just want to get away and relax with no worries. Don't we all!

Thanks again.

I checked out the website. The products really intrigue me and could be really helpful. I'm especially interested in the one that doesn't need refrigeration and works without freezer packs. Supposedly it works with cold water and some kind of non-toxic crystals and keeps insulin cold for 72 hours. If this really works, it would be a tremendous help.

Has anyone ever used this type of cooling system. Just wondering how easy it is to use and if it really works.

Thanks for any feedback.

I've never tried it but it sounds great. I have the hard plastic one that holds two bottles of insulin and uses the gel that you freeze. I don't use it anymore because it really isn't necessary for insulin, unless you're going someplace really warm, and that thing is pretty darn heavy when it's frozen. Those crystals are intriguing.....may have to try them myself.;)

Alison

Archived