Looking for the RIGHT ship

GaryWT

Maybe someone can help me with this. Our last cruise was not as enjoyable as previous trips. Our first trip with the kids was great, we went on the Grandeur back when the ship stopped at both Coco Cay and Laberdee the same week. This was a blast and the kids had a great week, service on the ship was outstanding. The next trip was on the Enchantment which was great as well even though the stops were not as good but the ship and service were great. We felt a little bored here though as it was the same layout as the Grandeur. For our last trip we picked the Navigator figuring we would have a great time and the kids would love everything the ship had to offer. Well the dining room did not work for us, our family was split between 2 tables and we had to fight to get seated together. The kids activitiees were either over crowded as in 150 kids showing up to play dodgeball or cancelled because not enough kids showed to to play a different game. The kids clubs were crowded thus no one really met each other, a lot of kids left and went off on their own. Serive in the dining room and the hotel staff were very cold, they did their job but that was it.

So for those who have been sailing various RC ships, where do I turn to get the friendly feeling back. I want to walk into the dinning room and have the waiter know what I want, I want to run into the room steward and be able to talk or joke with them as I had done on previous cruises.

After our family planning meeting the family decided to look elsewhere for a cruise or vacation but I just want to do some research before we move on.

Thanks

You probably won't like this suggestion, but I suggest the Empress only because she is smaller in size which means less "guests" and more personal service. When I sailed on her back in 2001 our waiter could guess what I wanted every night, our room steward made us towel animals because he found out I was dissapointed when there wasn't one on my bed the first night. Our Maitre'd was very personal (she was a doll). I think you may get more personal service and a less crowded kids program on a smaller ship. This is why I am getting back on the Empress for my honeymoon, I felt that the staff was very attentive and friendly. JMHO ;)

Cruising today is not the same as it was 5 years ago--let alone 10 years.

Staff- waiters and cabin stewards all have much more to do then a few years ago. Last cruise our cabin steward had 26 cabins to do with 2 helpers...sure they had a moment to say hi-- ask how are we doing.

But gone are the days where the steward is your new best friend for the week.

The wait staff are still divine.. Small enough to pack up to take home. Service is fabulous.

BUt I agree-- with what you are asking-- a smaller ship in an off season without a ton of kids onboard is what you should look for.

I suggest Radiance class during a month where kids are not likely to be aboard. Last Feb, there were less than 20 on my Serenade sailing.

Also, the Concierge Lounge was a great perk and it was definitely a place where you see the same folks over and over again, and Maritza was marvelous!

Gary:

I would suggest trying the Rhapsody of the Seas out of Galveston, Texas. She sails to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico. The service is outstanding, the room attendants are friendly, the dining room staff and waiters are excellent and very friendly.

The Rhapsody of the Seas mainly consists of passengers from Texas, and Texans are very friendly people. This adds to the great experience on the ship. You will not be disappointed.

If you have any questions about this ship or the itinerary, just let me know.

Fausto

I guess it can vary as I have found the Navigator to be a very friendly ship. The best crew of any ship that I have sailed to date. I also noticed that you are looking at Carnival. I can tell you from experience that Carnival will NOT be a step up over RCI or equal for that matter. They do not have a ship that can compare with the Voyager class ships at all.

Archived