Mediterranean Cruise

shyla100

Hi All,

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise in May 2020 and would like to know from those who have been to Ponza ,Trapani and Bastia would you recommend a tour or just walk and do it yourself. Are they easy placed to do on your own, or do you miss out  on sites that really should be seen.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, have been looking at. I have had a look at  The Seabourn tours but they do not seem that inspiring ?

We stayed in Trapani in May. It is easy to walk around the old town and, depending on time, there is a hilltown, Erice, which is historical and picturesque.

You can get to Erice on public transport. A local bus and then the cable car.

IMHO there are no sites that 'really should be seen' but if you want a flavour of old Sicily go to Erice.

Tony

London UK

2 hours ago, T&C Fulham said:

We stayed in Trapani in May. It is easy to walk around the old town and, depending on time, there is a hilltown, Erice, which is historical and picturesque.

You can get to Erice on public transport. A local bus and then the cable car.

IMHO there are no sites that 'really should be seen' but if you want a flavour of old Sicily go to Erice.

Tony

London UK

We stopped off in Trapani in October this year on our Seabourn cruise. We caught the bus to the Cablecar then visited Erice. Don’t miss it! And make sure you go to the castle right on the edge for amazing views.

Ponza is a charming, but small, upmarket Italian resort town.  I'm sure there.  Some of the beaches are beautiful, and from the map the magnificent Chaia di Luna beach is pretty close (other side of the island but a very narrow isthmus).  however, we took the round island boat tour, which was fascinating, as they took the boat into the caves containingg the Roman fish farms (reputedly owned by Pontius Pilate).  But it helps to have an interest in geology.  It was possible to swim off the boat.  

Agree that, from Trapani, Erice is lovely.  Some of the Greek archaeology (e.g. Segesta) is well worth doing.  When we docked, some people found the harbour area run down and a little threatening, but I think it might have been a grumpy lot of guests.

Afraid I haven't been to Bastia since I was a child.