Ocean liners - is it worth the extra $ ?

on my way

Fishhook1, I gotcha' beat! I'll be dining there on the Constellation transatlantic in APRIL!:D

The OP has already dined, and had their experience, but for those who still read this, let me add that it's not for everyone. I love it, as I really enjoy the service, the pace of the meal, and the extra care that the chefs can take when preparing 100 meals a night instead of 1000. But my other half is ambivalent- he liked it, but having done it, wouldn't necessarily go back, so you never know. We'll keep going because he knows I like it.

Also, the last time, we did the wine pairings menu, which, while more expensive, I also found to be a real treat. It's not often that I get to have a different wine with each course at home, yet I really enjoy having a chef and sommellier work together to create a special occasion that way. So, to me, it's another special thing that I treat myself to on a cruise, like a shore excursion or a spa treatment. Most people who go to the spa have no issue with spending the extra money for a spa treatment (sure we all wish they were less $...:rolleyes: ) and I consider the price in the specialty restaurant the same thing- I'm paying a little more for a very (to me) pleasurable experience.

Only ten more weeks!:D

Andrew

Actually, my wife and I discussed it in some detail before our recent trip on the Constellation, looked at the menus and decided against it. My wife doesn't care for her food served in "puddles", neither of us are big wine drinkers ( although we likely as not will order wine in the main dining room), and by and large, I'm pretty content with the choices available on the main menu.

One of the problems, IMHO, with Classic French or Italian Cuisines is the emphasis on presentation rather then serving the food hot and well prepared. Excessively formal service is not particularly to my liking....

Goes to show that "different strokes for different folks " still applies. I think that Celebrity is to be commended for making the venue available to those who appreciate it, but I suspect that we will continue to opt out for now. I would argue that I would prefer a properly prepared, juicy and hot, hamberger to a goat cheese souffle.

Choice is always nice.

Ed, our steaks on Sea Princess' Sterling Steakhouse were wonderful and certainly not served as a fancy restaurant. In fact the service was a little lacking. But the food was great and it cost like $20. Might be a better bet for you! So if you do P, give it a try.

It's excellent! We went to the Normandie on the Summit' date=' and when we were on the Constellation, we went to Ocean Liners twice. On the repeat visit, they gave us an extra complimentary [i']amuse bouche[/i] for our "loyalty".

Unless you're some kind of impossible-to-please cheapskate wacko, you'll love it! :D

On our third night, they let us order 2 appetizers. I got the Lobster Veloute soup and the Goat Cheese Souffle.

On our third night, they let us order 2 appetizers. I got the Lobster Veloute soup and the Goat Cheese Souffle.

We had the same thing happen to us. I couldn't decide between the two, so they brought both for the whole table. Put a damper on my dessert eating... ;)

Ed, our steaks on Sea Princess' Sterling Steakhouse were wonderful and certainly not served as a fancy restaurant. In fact the service was a little lacking. But the food was great and it cost like $20. Might be a better bet for you! So if you do P, give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion, Gail, if we ever do Princess, we'll give it a thought.

While we were on the Constellation, I ordered a steak to order off of the menu twice. Our outstanding waiter, Vlad, made certain it was exactly right. Didn't cost anything extra.

Of course, the cost isn't the point, whether or not something or an extra services add sufficient additional value to you is the real question. We've eaten in some very nice restaurants here and there, we just think that the Main Dining Room meets our needs very nicely, which, of course, reduces the value of the Specialty Restaurant from our viewpoint. I guess you might say that we appreciate the efforts of our regular staff and our table mates more than the special nature of the Specialty Restaurant.

A chaque on sa poison.....

Ed

whether or not something or an extra services add sufficient additional value to you is the real question. We've eaten in some very nice restaurants here and there, we just think that the Main Dining Room meets our needs very nicely, which, of course, reduces the value of the Specialty Restaurant from our viewpoint. I guess you might say that we appreciate the efforts of our regular staff and our table mates more than the special nature of the Specialty Restaurant.

Ed

Ed: I couldn't disagree more. Last month, I have the following in BOTH the main dining room and Ocean Liners:

• Caesar salad
  • filet
  • lamb

The food in the Specialty Restaurant is SO MUCH BETTER than the dinning room!

If, on a 1-10 scale I ranked the main dinning room food an 8, I'd have to say that Ocean Liners is a 24.

Yes, give it a try. I've been to all of the specialty restaurants at least once and it's well worth the $30. It's a five-course meal. There are such nice little touches you don't even get in a nice restaurant. A cheese selection is also one of the course, nice touch! It's a very pleasant experience.

The chocolate souffle is wonderful, make sure you order it when ordering your entree, so they can prepare it for you.

Give it a try and then you will know for yourself.

Archived