1/27/06 Dreamtime Dive/Beach Party Review

augie

Our recent cruise on the Carnival Valor had the last port on it's itinerary changed from Cozumel to Costa Maya.

That left the group that was planning to dive together scrambling to make new plans for that day.

A little internet research led me to Dreamtime Dive Resort. They promptly answered my emailed questions, so I made plans to dive with them. One of the other divers (wystiria on these boards) had a lot of non divers that were with them (as did I) so she contacted Dreamtime to see what they might have available for them.

We ended up with a group of 38 that enjoyed the day there. The divers were to meet our ride at the taxi stand at 8AM local time. Unfortunately, there was a mix up and Chris was waiting for us out on the pier. He had a sign that said "Diving Excursion", but thinking that he was just another vendor hawking his tour, we, in ones and twos, walked right by him on the way to the taxi stand. Eventually we found each other, loaded ourselves and our gear into a van and drove off to the dive shop.

The rest of the group met up at the same place an hour later and boarded a bus to the resort itself. 13 of them took advantage of the two reef snorkel boat trip before joining the others hanging out at the beach.

We had two very, very nice dives, then joined the others at the resort (I have a review on the scuba & snorkeling board of the dives in the four ports).

The chef at Dreamtime, Pablo, had done an outstanding job preparing the food for the beach party. I'm sure that I didn't sample everything, but I do remember having pizza, guacamole, salsa, potato salad, chicken and beef shishkabobs, as well as other fine food - all made from scratch!

Whenever anyone had their fill of eith food, sun, or just wanted to go back to the pier or the ship, Chris would call for a taxi, pay the driver, and wish them well.

We are SO glad we hooked up with these folks!

Here is what it cost us: For the beach party, which included round trip transportation, use of the facilities (beach chairs, bathrooms, fresh water shower), water, soft drinks, and Pablo's awesome lunch, it was $22 per person.

The snorklers paid an additional $35 and the divers an additional $75.

I can honestly say that not a single one of the 38 didn't agree that it was worth every penny and more.

As one of the last ones to leave, I had a lot of time spent talking to Chris, Pablo, and Marco (the bartender) and it truly felt like I was hanging out with loved family members.

Pablo tells me that he is trying to push the idea of having these beach parties every day that the ships are in port. Currently they are only done by prior arrangement. If you have a group looking for something to do while your ship calls on Costa Maya, I highly recommend getting in touch with these folks and setting something up.

I am looking into making an extended trip to Mahuhaul and to Dreamtime as soon as I can manage it!

yep yep totally agree :)

I have some additional info on teh snorkeling from some of our group which once I get ym review together I will post.

Also we have pictures up on a website and I will list that.

"Tooo much metal for one hand" horns

Archived