Let's Do Another: What Are You Reading?

tuggers

I looked at the zooba but I like to have a little more control over what and when I buy, plus all the books are not hardback. Glad it works for you though. Any way we can get books in our hands and reading is great to me!

So Terri, did you sign up under me so we both get free books?:)

Uh Oh - I didn't know that was an option. FONT]

I just finished Robert Parker's new book "Sea Change" it's a Jessie Stone book. I really enjoyed it, there's quite a twist at the end

Terri

Bad Terri! We both would have gotten an extra free book!:D

Of course! I just ordered 3 of the same book for our book club!

I see Stephen White has another Dr Alan Gregory book coming out in March.

I'm going to go to Sam's and buy Hoot so I can read it before the movie comes out (Hiaasen)

I just went to Sam's and bought 'Hoot!'. That's the only thing I needed. So why did it cost me $160.00?:( :D

What a relief! :D

I thought I was the only who spent $160.00 on one book!

(Or sometimes just a gallon of milk!)

We are leaving on a 2 week cruise next month to Hawaii and will have time to sit and read. I've gotten 8 books together for the two of us. My DH is a fast reader and will probably read every one of them. I might get through 2.:D We like suspense and mysteries. Here's our list:

John Lutz - Fear the Night

Steve Martini - Double Tap

Lisa Gardner - Alone

John Lescroart - The Motive

Barbara Parker - Suspicion of Rage

Linda Fairstein - Entombed

Michael Connelly - The Closers

Robert Crais - The Forgotten Man

How did I do? They're all paperbacks so are easy to pack.:D I like all of these authors, especially Connelly, Crais, Gardner and Lescroart.

Garry

Hi folks,

Looks like a great list, Garry. May I also recommend Kyle Mills.

Anyway, just finished the first 50 pages of Steven King's new one "Cell". So for, horrible things keep happening to people who use cell phones-doesn't get much warm-fuzzier than that;)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Took a break from mysteries and read Weiss' American Taboo about a peace corps worker who was murdered in Tonga in 1976, murdered by another peace corps worker, and the cover up. It was so poorly written that I nearly gave up on it, but wanted to know some facts.

I am currently reading "The Virgin of el Barrio", but Kristy Nabhan-Warren and the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman. The first is an ethnography of Marian apparitions that started in 1998 in Phoenix, and the trilogy is fantasy. Both are quite good.

Cheers,

Friday

Garry,

No Linda Fairstein? I really like her.

She's on the list Gail. I have her book "Entombed" on the list. I only taking paperbacks, and wait for books to come out that way before reading. Arthritic hands have an easier time holding paperbacks than the hardbound.;)

Garry

I am a Dean Koontz, Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Richard North Patterson and Jude Deveraux fan. I have saved Pattersons book Conviction and Deveraux's book Carolina Isle to read on the cruise. Am hoping Clancy comes out with another one before then. I too save and read my favorite authors. I have read James Patterson he was ok Nora Roberts is good and I do like Sandra Brown but haven't read a lot of these last ones.I also like John Sanford a lot especially his prey series. Does anyone have any other suggestions for authors?

I think I need to read Richard Patterson, I have heard he is really good. I enjoyed James Patterson for a very short while, but just find his books to predictable and a little strange. Nora Roberts is ok, not great; I too like Sandra Brown but my favorite modern day author is Greg Iles. DH love Dean Koontz, I read one of his books about a month or so ago: it was way to far out for me, but I do like Grisham, I call his books, my vacation books: easy reading, perfect for the plane and great for relaxing by the pool on a ship or hotel. Greg Iles is a little like him but Greg's writing is deeper and a little harder to figure out. NMnita

Hey Suzi,

Donna just emailed me for your address. Can you email her? I think she has some pictures for you.

I'm ready to get out of this cold and get warm again! I'll be leaving 3/25 to visit with some board friends in LA and then drive to SD for the Mercury Mexican Riviera 11 night. Looking forward to that!

Have you giys booked anything else? We've got a wonderful group on the Tampa Zenith in Nov and the Connie in March '07. Think about it!

I read A Million Little Pieces on this past cruise and enjoyed it even with all the bad press! Do any of you participate in book crossings? You register the book and get a number, write a short note about what you are doing and leave the book in a public place. You hope someone will pick it up go to the web site and you can track the book's journey! Celebrity participates ...there's bookmarks from that site in the library.

/

• 2 weeks later...

I just read a new post asking for reading advice, so i referred to OP to this thread. it was way back on page 6, so I'm bumping it to page one since i recommended it and the OP may have trouble finding it on pg 6.

I bought Captain's Log to take on our cruise next week. A HAL captain wrote it.

and Showdowns that Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires by Kristoffer Garin. A non-fiction eye-opener!

Waras Dirie's Desert Flower: The Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad is a compelling non-fiction story of a Somali girl's life including the practice of female genital mutilation. She now works with the U.N. to educate about and stop the abuse of women.

I like to check the Pulitzer, Mann and Orange Prize websites for noteworthy books.

I want to thank everyone for the idea of a reading list exchange. So I was inspired by Kate on the Europe board who asked for non-guidebook suggestions for Venice. I've asked for suggestions for our Med cruise and have even expanded it to the trip advisor forums. If anyone is interested in Barcelna I just finished George Orwell's Homage to Catalona and highly recommend it. Two people who live in Barcelona have suggested Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon and I'm waiting for it to be checked in at our local library.

Again--Thanks for the idea!

Has anyone re-read a book recently that they originally read many years ago, and had a completely different reaction to it?

I reread Lord of the Flies. Read it in 8th grad and was amazed at the boys. Now, 33 years later, I was even more amazed by the boys, and so much more appreciated the author's (can't remember the name) ability to express so much about society in such a short book.

One of my all time favorite books, The Kite Runner. Not a light read, but very well written, and very powerful.

Archived